retainer for headlight adjustment screws

This sub-forum is for discussion of very general discussion of 1980-89 Town Cars that is not suitable to the other specific sub-forums asking for advice.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, Continental69

Forum rules
This sub-forum is for discussion of very general discussion of 1980-89 Town Cars that is not suitable to the other specific sub-forums asking for advice.
Gerald F. Chase
Addicted to Lincolns

retainer for headlight adjustment screws

Post by Gerald F. Chase »

Within the last two weeks, the right side high beam and high-low beam headlights have slipped downward in their adjustment for aim.. due to likely stripping of the plastic screw retainer. There is no evidence that my car was hit.. to cause this.

The nice thing is that the rear of the headlights is easily accessible. It surely looks like the retainer for the vertical sealed beam adjustment screws is made of PLASTIC. I haven't tried to correct the situation yet, figuring that maybe someone else has had this problem... and may have found a solution. Anybody?

I figure that it may be unlikely for the plastic screw retainer to continue functioning as it should. Thus, I must find either a new or good retainer for each sealed beam.... or must try to 'jury-rig' a nut & washer at the end of the adjustment screw, to hold the bulb in proper position. The former method must surely be more desirable.

A salvage yard would seem to be the way to go.... but most salvage yards don't have anything near as old as my 1988 T.C., or even a Crown Vic or Grand Marq.

It would be advantageous for me to obtain the FoMoCo part number for said headlight bulb adjustment screw retainer.
Any leads / ideas ?
action
LCOC Regional Director

Re: retainer for headlight adjustment screws

Post by action »

Usual suspects or ebay

>>>>>>Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
Gerald F. Chase
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Gerald F. Chase »

Some preliminary research has informed me.. that the headlamp aim-adjusting screws are held by a piece made of PLASTIC.

Some of us can remember when plastic was new, in the 1950s, and we hated the stuff... 'cause it broke very easily.

It still does --- it just takes a few decades longer . . . .
defrang
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by defrang »

I have no idea other than Lincoln land. If you figure this out, please let the rest of us know. I recently put new LED lights and Octane lens in my 65 so I was adjusting the screws. My adjustment screws were very rusted. I took one out and de-rusted it. I have been meaning to take it to O'Reillys and see if they had a new replacement but have been working and busy. Another thing to add to the list.
Robert DeFrang
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Lemme check the MPC...
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

13032 is the base PN.

E9VY-13032-A. Fits 82 to 89 Town Cars. Green Sales has ONE.

The triangle means it is serviced in the 13008 Kit.

The Kit is EOWY-13008-C & D (RH and LH) is a kit for completely replacing everything in the headlamp assembly: Headlights, trim rings, springs, screws, and nuts galore. You won't find these cheap if at all. That's E-Oh-W-Y, not E-ZERO-W-Y.

Here's the EOWY kit from RearCounter.com. The -A kit is for the Continental, not the Town Car.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-11-28 at 3.08.41 PM.png