Where are people getting new Michelins with WWs?

Details such as correct colors, plating material, inspection marks, orientation, and even the number of wipes that should occur for a vacuum-powered windshield wiper system after pushing the "wash" button.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

action
LCOC Regional Director

Re: Where are people getting new Michelins with WWs?

Post by action »

The latest set I bought the w/w measures out at a 1/2" wide. Looks good to me.

It isn't an expensive tire. There isn't a means to custom make the white wall. Os some option. This is a very inexpensive mass produced production tire.
Either you buy something else that is far more expensive. Custom make the white wall larger. Or go with the narrower white wall.

For double or triple the money Coker will sell you a 1" wide w/w tire.
https://www.cokertire.com/tires.html?p= ... 774%2C1783

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
autostick
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by autostick »

Thanks guys. I verified with the sellers that the Hankook Optimo is a 3/4 inch whitewall. That is what I have now. I guess I just wait until somebody makes a one inch whitewall, I still have plenty of tread on the Kuhmos. I still have my one inch whitewall 9.50 by 14 dangerous bias ply tires, but nobody recaps those anymore.
JonW
Lincoln Maniac

Post by JonW »

I just installed the Kumhos on my BB car. Balanced out pretty well, and I'm not running weights on the outside. I'm a bit concerned about leeching, as I'm seeing a little bit of that already. Time will tell.
1962 Continental resto-mod
Yeah, it's got a Hemi
1979 Mark V 1 of 1
Triple Turquoise
1979 Mark V Bill Blass Edition
Gerald F. Chase
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Gerald F. Chase »

A 2019 update regarding my experience with P215/70R-15 Uniroyal Tiger Paw AWP IIs [whitewalls!] on my two 1980s Town Cars: I find them to be truly excellent. They handle good, and wear quite well. I was doubtful... but my tire man in Providence [RI] that I strongly trust, said that these were made in a Michelin plant (due to the purchase of Uniroyal), and that he had a number of customers that tried them... and all were happy. I have become another happy customer.

Yes, that's the biggest size they make.. so those who need P235s or P225s must go elsewhere, as described here.

I used to think that BFG T/A radials were great.. and worth the high price. I'm not so sure, anymore. I put a set on my '89 Caprice w/ F41 sport suspension, P225/70R-15s.... and they are not smooth: they 'bounce' a lot. Since the non-F41 Caprices were shod with P205/75R-15s, I'm going to put said Uniroyal P215/70R-15s on my Caprices (have two now). Said UniRoyals are great----especially compared with the BFG T/A radial's HIGH price: close to double!! And, yes, they're not whitewalls: they're "raised white letters".

Seemingly all the 80s T.C.s now are expensive & good.. or cheap 'cause they've been abused. 1980s T.C.s are now scarce.. at reasonable prices, that is. "The march of time"
linc64
TLFer for Life

Post by linc64 »

I recently purchased Uniroyal Tiger Paws, 215/70R15 for my '88 Mark VII Bill Blass and am unhappy with them. They were manufactured 3 months prior to my buying them. The only way I was able to get the whitewalls white was to use 800 grit sandpaper with a sanding block. Yes, I first tried Wesley's Bleche White, Brillo/SOS pads, mineral spirits etc. Sanding them got them pretty white, but they started getting brown again within a day, even when not driving and stored indoors. Maybe I got some defective tires or "seconds". They were certainly cheap enough, $303 for a set of four, but I'm reluctant to ever get another set. My car had 4 year old Michelin Symmetry tires when I bought it, and they had less than 4,000 miles on them, but the whiewall was too narrow and I didn't know if I could trust them on the 1500 mile round trip to Albuquerque last October. I've been told that Firestone FR710s are good tires, so maybe I'll try those next.
Jim Ayres
Western Region Director
Photobucket link blocked by PB
Join the LCOC
Join the Lincoln Motorcar Foundation
Gerald F. Chase
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Gerald F. Chase »

Mr. Ayres, I guess that said UniRoyal tires are more suited to daily drivers, given your disappointment with their propensity for the whitewalls to turn brown much too quickly. They have been less trouble for me.. than most any tire that I've ever owned, FWIW.
JonW
Lincoln Maniac

Post by JonW »

I just bought Hankook wsw tires for my '79 Bill Blass. They balanced out well, but not perfectly. But I'm not running weights on the outside. I think I'll clean up whatever balance issues are left with beads. My complaints are about the whiewall color and the fact that they are already leeching in spots. The color is hard to describe. It's a very "cold" white, sort of like the bluish-white you see in some headlights. It doesn't have the "warmth" that the whitewalls on my turquoise car have. I don't know if that makes any sense or not.
1962 Continental resto-mod
Yeah, it's got a Hemi
1979 Mark V 1 of 1
Triple Turquoise
1979 Mark V Bill Blass Edition