Signature versus Cartier leather interiors:

This sub-forum is for discussion of very general discussion of 1980-89 Town Cars that is not suitable to the other specific sub-forums asking for advice.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, Continental69

Forum rules
This sub-forum is for discussion of very general discussion of 1980-89 Town Cars that is not suitable to the other specific sub-forums asking for advice.
Gerald F. Chase
Addicted to Lincolns

Signature versus Cartier leather interiors:

Post by Gerald F. Chase »

Supposedly, the Cartier was marketed as a higher level of interior trim on Eighties' Town Cars... but for my money AND COMFORT, the Signature version is clearly superior! Any input from others on this?
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Re: Signature versus Cartier leather interiors:

Post by LithiumCobalt »

The Signature seats are better oddly enough. They have the side bolsters built in almost like pillows. The Cartier seat covers were simply the base model with different upholstery.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
Gerald F. Chase
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Gerald F. Chase »

Thank you, Nick. It's good to know that it wasn't just my own assessment on Signature vs. Cartier seats. I find it suddenly difficult now.. to find good 80s TCs for sale.. at reasonable prices.

I've driven through Fort Wayne a number of times: my youngest son went to college in Upland, Indiana, just off I-69.
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Ah, yes, Taylor University. I know some in my class that went there. I still frequent Ivanhoes every once in a while on my way to/from Indianapolis.

As far as the 80s Town Cars, wish you were in the market a couple of years ago. Sold my near perfect 87 Cartier with 52k miles on it for $7,500. Photos in this thread: http://www.lincolnsonline.com/forum/sho ... ight=Nicks
Nick
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
onedollarbob
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by onedollarbob »

I think the thing about the Cartier seats is they were "designer", so the focus was on the "trendy" fabric prints or quilted inserts on the otherwise base-level sew style. The Signature seats were definitely better looking with the loose cushion design and were more supportive with the thigh and side bolsters. They were almost trying to be a bucket seat version of the traditional sofa barge split bench.

Interesting was that the Town Car Signature seats started out on the '82 Mark VI Signature Series and Pucci/Givenchy designer series. When the Mark VI was discontinued, these seats migrated to the Town Car as the Cartier seats for one year only in `84, and finally ended as the TC Signature seats for the remainder of the boxy years, 85-89. Lincoln got a lot of mileage out of this sew style, and I'd say it aged the best of all the '80s Lincoln seat patterns outside of the articulated sport seats in the '88/89 Mark VII.
1979 Mark V Collector's Series -- Sold
1983 Mark VI Signature Series coupe -- R.I.P.
1989 Mark VII LSC

"After the final No there comes a Yes / And on that Yes the future of the world hangs." --Wallace Stevens
lincolnold
Occasional Visitor

Post by lincolnold »

My '89 Town Car Cartier doesn't have a "base level sew style" and the seats are not "simply the base model . . ." Maybe some of you need to go out to your garage and compare. This site should strive for accurate information. Even the base and Signature have the same seat frame, springs, etc. My Cartier has huge piping, thick padding & embroidery; it has the looks, comfort, and feel of quality. I like the base and Signature too, but they are as different as is the Cartier seats in 1989. I am now on my 4th "boxy years" Town Car.
P.S. the non-articulated non perforated seats in my '90 Mark VII are beautiful too. They don't have all those holes in them!
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

lincolnold wrote:My '89 Town Car Cartier doesn't have a "base level sew style" and the seats are not "simply the base model . . ." Maybe some of you need to go out to your garage and compare. This site should strive for accurate information. Even the base and Signature have the same seat frame, springs, etc. My Cartier has huge piping, thick padding & embroidery; it has the looks, comfort, and feel of quality. I like the base and Signature too, but they are as different as is the Cartier seats in 1989. I am now on my 4th "boxy years" Town Car.
P.S. the non-articulated non perforated seats in my '90 Mark VII are beautiful too. They don't have all those holes in them!
The Cartier seats in 88 and 89 were different, as you mentioned, with the “overstuffed’ pillow look (even those may have been options). However, those were the exception, otherwise the comments mentioned above are facts for the rest of the decade. My ‘87 Cartier still had the shitty base sew style.
06BA1572-879F-4AFD-8FFE-E2AC467AF50A.jpeg
Nick
ContiFan
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by ContiFan »

Some "Cartier" seating descriptions from 1980s brochures and sales guides:

1982 - Signature Series sew style with Opal leather seating surfaces with Light Pewter Laurent body cloth in the insert area, or with Light Pewter leather in the insert area

1983 - Signature Series seat trim sew-style with a choice of Charcoal Radcliffe cloth with Charcoal Calgary inserts or Charcoal leather seating surfaces

1984 - 50/50 Twin Comfort Lounge seats in choice of Dove Gray Luxury plush patterned cloth in the inserts and smooth cloth in the bolsters, or Dove Gray leather seating surfaces

1985 - 50/50 Twin Comfort Lounge seats; Oxford White leather seating bolsters with Dove Gray inserts in either leather or cloth in unique designer's sew style

1986 - 50/50 Twin Comfort Lounge seats in Oxford Gray leather with rich pleated cloth inserts or leather inserts in unique designer's sew style

1987 - Oxford Gray leather with rich, pleated inserts; available with or without Raven Black detailing

1988 - Rich Titanium cloth with leather trim or all Titanium leather

1989 - Rich Titanium cloth with leather trim or all Titanium leather
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

In 85-87, Cartiers came with a choice between leather/cloth inserts or all leather. As you can see above, my ‘87 was thankfully full leather.
Nick
onedollarbob
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by onedollarbob »

lincolnold wrote:My '89 Town Car Cartier doesn't have a "base level sew style" and the seats are not "simply the base model . . ."
You would be correct. '85-87 were the base sew pattern with different inserts. The '88 and '89 Cartier sew pattern is slight plusher than the base, but not the loose cushion style of the Signature pattern. I think we're all aware that it was the same seat frame underneath no matter what the upholstery was.
1979 Mark V Collector's Series -- Sold
1983 Mark VI Signature Series coupe -- R.I.P.
1989 Mark VII LSC

"After the final No there comes a Yes / And on that Yes the future of the world hangs." --Wallace Stevens