1969 Continental - Worth It?

This area is for members who are restoring their Lincolns or any other project that they wish to discuss and document with fellow forum members. You can link to your own off-site page or post all your pics and progress in the thread itself. Customizers should use the Customizer Members' Projects forum.
ecogs2112

1969 Continental - Worth It?

Post by ecogs2112 »

Hi all,
New to the forum and Lincoln's a bit in general. I've always loved the 60s Continentals (& the suicide doors) but I've only recently started seriously considering getting one. So I've spotted this 69 that is very near me and would appreciate anyone's input on whether or not it looks like a decent starting point? I'm not too familiar (yet) on what to look out for on these cars so let me know what you think! Thanks for any input and look forward to learning from this board!

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/5095556074.html
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: 1969 Continental - Worth It?

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Ouch. I'd look for a better car or only offer $1500-2000. If you are going to fix it up to driver condition, you have a lot of work to do.

I don't think it's worth it. Not at all.
defrang
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by defrang »

This might save you money.
Attachments
On oodle
On oodle
Robert DeFrang
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

66s don't have numbers to match. Idiot.
elcad70
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by elcad70 »

I'm always facinated by statements like this in the advertisment
Very minor repairs needed for an excellent road worthy cruiser
If it was that easy why doesn't he make the minor repairs and advertise it as
an excellent road worthy cruiser
Hmmm
1970 Mark III Lincoln
brendanw
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by brendanw »

ecogs2112 wrote:Hi all,
New to the forum and Lincoln's a bit in general. I've always loved the 60s Continentals (& the suicide doors) but I've only recently started seriously considering getting one. So I've spotted this 69 that is very near me and would appreciate anyone's input on whether or not it looks like a decent starting point? I'm not too familiar (yet) on what to look out for on these cars so let me know what you think! Thanks for any input and look forward to learning from this board!
Welcome to the wonderful world of Lincolns! As a comparison, my '68 was in slightly better condition than this one and I traded a running '99 Toyota Solara, with 150K miles on it, for the Lincoln straight up. As I recall, the Solara had a Craigslist value of $2K to $3k. With this '69 having a spray-paint paint job, rust holes in it, likely an engine pull depending on where that freeze plug needing replacement is, and what looks to be a pretty weathered interior, I would say that you would do this guy a favor by giving him $1,200 and towing it away.

My $0.02
1968 Lincoln Continental Sedan - Black on black - 462 ci [SOLD NOV 2017]