My 1976 Lincoln Continental MK IV Coupe * Pics *

This area is for members who are restoring their Lincolns or any other project that they wish to discuss and document with fellow forum members. You can link to your own off-site page or post all your pics and progress in the thread itself. Customizers should use the Customizer Members' Projects forum.
alaskan84

My 1976 Lincoln Continental MK IV Coupe * Pics *

Post by alaskan84 »

Hello Everyone, figured i would introduce myself and share some photos of my old lincoln. I'm sure i will have some questions as i start driving this thing more. I originally bought this car down when i was living in Las Vegas. I've always been a fan of classic cars and I'm sort of a collector( i have a 69 cuda, 69 chevy longed, 68 vw bug, 89 4 door bronco, and on and on :) A buddy of mine mentioned to me one day that he saw this old lincoln sitting at a used car lot. I figured i would stroll over and take a look at her. She was covered in dust, sitting under an awning with 2 flat tires. I asked the guy working @ the lot if he could tell me anything about it. He said, " Yeah, it runs like shit". I was like...." well, can we try to get it running so i can maybe take it for a spin around the block?". He obliged, and with a jump box and a little luck we had her running. It was running rough, didn't like to shift that well, and had one hell of a bounce from the tires being flat for so long....but i liked it ;-)

So, they had 1500 on the sticker as the asking price, and i asked the guy if he would take a grand. SOLD!

Took her home, flushed the tranny & changed the filter as well as engine oil, took it to the shop for a quick carb tune up and got a new set of tires on her. I drove her almost every day for the next 2 years in vegas, it was an eye catcher for sure! Then i moved back to alaska( where i was born ) and 3 years went by. My parents were having a cargo container sent from las vegas to Kodiak Island, where i live, so they could ship the contents of their house in alaska down to vegas. I didn't hesitate to have them throw the lincoln into the container so i could have it up here with me in AK! It was a prime choice, since the salt air really eats cars up here, i couldn't bare to send any of my nicer rigs up...but yah gotta have something to cruise in right? 8)

The container arrived up here about a week ago. Got a call from the shipping company and they said they couldn't get it started. No biggie, although it did run when driven into the container in vegas, it sat for 3 years in my parents shop with nobody touching it. Upon inspection, i noticed gas was leaking severely out of the carburetor. Towed it home and pulled the carb. The accel pump diaphragm was bad. Got a new one from amazon the next day and had her up and running. I did drain the gas tank yesterday and filled it with premium + a bottle of octane booster. The gas that i siphoned out was pretty ugly looking, so I'm sure that will help her run a bit better. New fuel filter should be here tomorrow too. I don't plan on doing a whole lot to this rig, as it only cost me a grand, and honestly she's in pretty decent shape. So, que the pictures!

One of the worst spots on the interior...the drivers door panel. Everything works, but its so loose from the cracks. Either gotta try to reglue it together, or somehow find a replacement..

Drivers seat, pretty tore up, may just get a seat cover....but i LOVE the pillow cushions and i would hate to cover them up

Really nice shape back seat

Kept the original 8 track, and had a hidden deck put in the glove box. Also have subs/amp in the trunk and components in the doors/rear deck.

Sticker!

The 460

Whats this plug??

And this valve?

Its got an MSD coil and Ignition

And a couple shots of the rust spots...again not too worried about them as rust is inevitable up here on the island

Thanks for looking! I welcome any and all comments!
Perry Bush
Dedicated Enthusiast

Re: My 1976 Lincoln Continental MK IV Coupe * Pics *

Post by Perry Bush »

Hello - thanks for sharing and welcome to the forum! It's a great resource.

Nice find you have there. You may know this already, but your car has one of the fairly rare two-tone interior luxury group packages that were available, your is called the Gold/Cream Luxury Group. There were others, and you can read a bit about these at automotivemileposts.com

You may want to keep your eyes on ebay - I checked and it's not there now, but there is a seller who occasionally lists several items that came from a Gold/Cream car including a nice rear seat bottom cushion. That is exactly what you need to repair your front seat! In fact, for most of these cars, a minty rear seat can be used to repair the fronts.

Would you care to have an original air cleaner assembly? I have a spare; pab1063@new.rr.com for pics.

Good luck with it and enjoy!
Perry
Drivers '70 Continental Coupe; '77 Continental Convertible; '79 CS Town Car; '78 Mark V; '77 Mark V
Projects '69 Mark III Convertible
For Sale '78 Town Car Convertible Project; '70/73 Town Coupe Project(s)
alaskan84

Post by alaskan84 »

Thanks for the comments B65062. I wasn't aware of the different luxury group packages but will do a bit more reading. I do believe i have the factory air cleaner in the trunk, with stickers intact :). Thats good information about the rear seats. I also have a couple notifications set up with ebay, so hopefully i don't miss anything critical for my rig on the bay.
alaskan84

Post by alaskan84 »

So i'm driving this thing everyday, since the weather has been absolutely stunning up here, and i wanted to run the tank full of fresh gas/octane booster through her. I have no turn signals at this point, and they were working when i had her back in vegas. I've done a visual check on the fuse block and i can't see any blown. Brake lights work, headlights work, as well as interior dash/glovebox light. if i engage the turn signals, no lights on the dash or the taillights, and it actually kills the brake lights if they are on also. Where would be the first place to look, likely a relay with this behavior? My manual should be here in the next few days....
Joe Nemec
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Joe Nemec »

Wow, I had the same car, same year, same color combo. Check out what I did with mine.http://www.cardomain.com/ride/788397/19 ... ntinental/
'76 Mark IV
Previously owned:
'70 Continental coupe
'71 Mark III
'73 Mark IV
alaskan84

Post by alaskan84 »

Holy Balls Joe, did you even do anything to your lincoln besides store it in a bubble after it rolled off the production line? kidding as i went through your thread, but that thing is pure beauty! You did an immaculate job on the restoration. Your photos with your family ( i assume ) look like they could be promotional photos from Ford! Congratulations on owning such a gorgeous car!

btw, I've got the rare factory quick defrost option as well. Probably get a bit of use up here in alaska!
Joe Nemec
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Joe Nemec »

Thank you, that is my niece Sophie Sutton in my car. She gets her good looks from her uncle joe. :) this is her. http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0o ... t-900-14-s
'76 Mark IV
Previously owned:
'70 Continental coupe
'71 Mark III
'73 Mark IV