Amazing story on non-working quarter windows!

Power windows, power lock, power seats, radios, heaters, fans, motors, relays, air conditioning, and other accessories or wiring-related items.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

John Mc
Lincoln-ally Insane

Amazing story on non-working quarter windows!

Post by John Mc »

As I had written earlier, the rear quarter windows on my '70 Lincoln Coupe were in operative. I Assumed that it was the usual issue of old hardened grease and lack of use that "locks" up the mechanism.

Yesterday was the day for me to start on that project. But a wonderful thing happened. Upon my initial checks for power I pulled apart the power junction and found out that I did in fact have power going to the switch. Not surprised and before I started taking off the inside door panel, I decided to bypass the switch and apply power directly to the motor...........and the window retracted and came up perfectly! What? How could that be? Then I took the two ends of the power plugs and put them tightly together, and this time I heard them "snap" closed. I tried the switch..................the window worked as if Nixon were still in the White House!!! Then I moved over to the other side. Same thing, I pulled apart the junction and pushed them together. It worked!!!

So, unbelievable as it may sound, the reason my windows did not work (and probably never worked from the day the car was built) was because the motors were receiving no power!!! My guess is that the line worker put them together as best he could, but more effort was required to "lock" the two halves together. Also, where was the quality control? And did the two previous owners just never use them???

Was I happy???? Now the Coupe can be shown as it was intended, with all the windows down.
Attachments
IMG_0227 (800x600).jpg
John Mc - Lake Shore Region Director
‘48 Continental Cabriolet
‘77 Town Coupe Black Diamond
'06 Mark LT
‘14 MKZ
'15 Lincoln MKC
CurtC
Frequent Contributor

Re: Amazing story on non-working quarter windows!

Post by CurtC »

Repairs that go that easy always make one happy to have a Lincoln. I've had a few things go really well; like the inoperative passenger door power door lock that only required a squirt of silicone lube. I always refer to those rare occurrences as "some days are diamonds".

Curt
LCOC #: 024755C
1976 Mark IV, Dark Red Moondust Metallic, Polished Deep Dish
1997 Town Car Signature, Silver Frost
2sasilverbullet
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by 2sasilverbullet »

Congrats! I've had a few repairs go like that! What a blessing when they do!
No Lincoln currently...
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Likewise--I've had a few miraculous revivals of failing systems, almost like the car was healing itself.

Gorgeous coupe, by the way--now, when are you going to replace the outside hood latch with an inside one for better security? :wink: (J/K, sort of.)

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Joe Nemec
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Joe Nemec »

Your Lincoln looks sooooo nice with all 4 windows open!
'76 Mark IV
Previously owned:
'70 Continental coupe
'71 Mark III
'73 Mark IV
John Mc
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by John Mc »

Thanks guys, the missing quarter window does make a big difference. On the inside hood latch, yep I see your point but God intended to have '70 Continentals with outside hood latches, so I can't mess with that! :wink:
'06 Mark LT
‘14 MKZ
'15 Lincoln MKC
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

That's what was wrong with my power seats in my 74.
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

I'd question whether a previous owner unplugged the wiring harness connectors at some point because of a problem. I find it hard to believe the car would leave the factory that way. Although, if it truly was an oversight, that's one hell of a cheap fix!
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
Castrosua
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Castrosua »

thats great when you can you fix something so easy. and by the way, that pic is just beautiful.
1972 Lincoln Continental 4dr, 1973 Lincoln Continental TownCar
1974 Ford Ranchero GT 500, 1993 DAC 112 UDM
1994 Rocar 112, 2004 Ford Crown Vic Sport
2014 Chevy Camaro 2LS, 2022 Dodge Charger 392 Hemi Scat Pack Wide Body
John Mc
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by John Mc »

LithiumCobalt wrote:I'd question whether a previous owner unplugged the wiring harness connectors at some point because of a problem. I find it hard to believe the car would leave the factory that way. Although, if it truly was an oversight, that's one hell of a cheap fix!
I thought about that too but, the connectors looked like they were together and if someone really wanted to disconnect them, they wouldn't go through the trouble of partially putting them together, they would pull them apart - far apart. What blows me away is, did anyone check these items before the car was delivered?????? Also, how come the two previous owners just left them that way??? Weird.
'06 Mark LT
‘14 MKZ
'15 Lincoln MKC
LCont72
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by LCont72 »

I always enjoy an unexpectedly simple fix. I can just imagine the work of removing the rear seat cushion and backrest, and the left and right rear armrests and quarter trim, then digging into those quarter panels for the motor, tracks, and regulators. Wait, yes I can. I've done it on a 1965 Imperial.

It would not be all that far-fetched that both of the previous owners either never used the rear seat, or never had occasion to retract the rear quarter windows. In fact, my first car was a 1968 Cadillac Coupe deVille purchased new by my grandmother, which she gave me when it was five years old. She had never used the rear quarter windows!

When we had our 1972 Lincoln Town Car which my parents purchased new, some neighbors of ours had a beautiful '70 Lincoln in burgundy or maroon with a black roof and a black leather interior. Being interested in cars, and always eager to "compare and contrast" appointments and features, I noticed that their cornering lights did not illuminate and told them so. They simply shrugged and did not even seem the least bit concerned. They owned the car until approximately 1988, and never addressed the issue.

By the way, your '70 Coupe is stunning! The "Luxury Wheel Covers" give an added sparkle. And I'm sure that the uncanny resemblance of the front end of the '70 Lincolns to the front end of the Cord 810/812 has not escaped your notice, especially in the photo angle presented.

-Charles
John Mc
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by John Mc »

Thank you Charles and all the others that left positive comments. I never tire of looking at this car, very lucky to own it. Regarding the Cord 810 resemblance, yes. The designer of the car, Buzz Grisinger was a young student of the great Gordon Beurig on the 810. Buzz loved the '70 Lincoln and felt it was his best work.
'06 Mark LT
‘14 MKZ
'15 Lincoln MKC
blkmk69
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by blkmk69 »

Yes, your '71 looks fantastic. wish the no workie right side rear window fix on the Mk III would be as easy. Was at Dover DE a couple of weeks back, and John Cashman offered some good advice on Continental power windows namely to not let them fully close when in storage. I've noticed that I sometimes have to give the door panel a bang due to non-working windows after starting up and working the electrical accessories after sitting for a couple of months.

In the case of the my non-working quarter window, the courtesy lights dim when hitting the switch, so power is reaching the motor.
jon schapiro
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by jon schapiro »

John -

The rear switches (window and power window) have black phillips head screws holding the 2 "halves" together. are you missing the screws?

Jon
(Pic missing)
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT
John Mc
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by John Mc »

Jon, I'll check but I never pulled the switches out - just the switch to motor junction plug. Why may I ask do you want to know?
'06 Mark LT
‘14 MKZ
'15 Lincoln MKC

Return to “Electrical & Accessories”