Relay question

Anything that pertains only to a convertible goes here. Such as: Top material, pads, mechanism, hydraulic pumps, switch and relay mechanisms, latches, etc.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

65convert
Frequent Contributor

Relay question

Post by 65convert »

Guys,

I know this has been discussed before, But... I would like to know if anyone can tell me "how" to replace the existing relays in my car with newer Bosch style relays.

I know that the Thunderbird Ranch has a complete kit for replacing the top relays on T-birds. I have spoken to them, and they were working on a kit for
the LCC. It will be priced at about $800.00. I am sure there is a way to do this without that kind of expense.

I would like to find relays to replace every relay in my LCC.
The biggest concern would be what kind of relays, and how to properly wire them. I would assume I will have to cut all the rubber ends off, and make new connectors.

Has anyone done this?? It seems that this would be a viable technology upgrade... Kind of like a dual master/1406 style of upgrade.

It would increase reliability in quite a few important areas.

Any thoughts??
Roland-Atlanta Ga.
1965 Lincoln Continental Convertible
1964 Lincoln Continental Convertible
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: Relay question

Post by Dan Szwarc »

You have to match the components of the new relays to the old ones. they have specific names: coil (2 of them), frame or common, normally open contact, & normally closed.
Use relays that have 20 to 30 amp ratings.

Realys can be very different physically but they are all basically the same.

You need to splice in mating terminals for the new relays onto the old harness. Some connections on the new relays will go straight to ground.

In the end, no one has ever documented this, but it's very doable.
LC67Vert
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by LC67Vert »

65convert wrote:Guys,

I know this has been discussed before, But... I would like to know if anyone can tell me "how" to replace the existing relays in my car with newer Bosch style relays.

I know that the Thunderbird Ranch has a complete kit for replacing the top relays on T-birds. I have spoken to them, and they were working on a kit for
the LCC. It will be priced at about $800.00. I am sure there is a way to do this without that kind of expense.

I would like to find relays to replace every relay in my LCC.
The biggest concern would be what kind of relays, and how to properly wire them. I would assume I will have to cut all the rubber ends off, and make new connectors.

Has anyone done this?? It seems that this would be a viable technology upgrade... Kind of like a dual master/1406 style of upgrade.

It would increase reliability in quite a few important areas.

Any thoughts??
To replace all your top relays at a cost of $800.00 plus all the labor involved seems like overkill to me. In almost 25 years, and 30,000 miles of owning my '67 Lincoln convertible (and the top goes down and up nearly everytime I drive the car) I cannot remember having a problem with the relays. Every once and a while I have had to rebuild a limit switche, motor, pump or wiring. So, if you want a truely bullet-proof system you will have to re-do all of your switches, motors, pumps and wiring as well as replacing the relays. For me I would prefer to keep things stock, but that is just me.
Jeff
1967 Lincoln Continental Convertible
65convert
Frequent Contributor

Post by 65convert »

I understand Dan,
I like remaining stock also. I just wanted the reliability that newer relays would offer. It may be a bit much to do though....
Roland-Atlanta Ga.
toddallen
TLFer for Life

Post by toddallen »

If you have more time and little money, just rebuild your existing relays, most of them last for 40 years without any problems.

http://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/v ... ing+relays

I think the reliability of the new relays would be negated by the hack job you would have to do with all the new electrical connections you would create to the wiring harness .
1963 Linc Convertible
1963 Linc Vert parts car
1968 Mustang FB
2009 Cadillac CTS
65convert
Frequent Contributor

Post by 65convert »

Ok guys!!! You have convinced me to cancel the thought. It was maybe a little optimistic.... I wouldn't want to hack the harnesses like that.

Thanks for the input!
Roland-Atlanta Ga.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Actually, with the right crimp tools, re-terminating the harnesses to fit new relays can make new relays quite reliable. Sometimes, the problem is a bad connection of the existing harness and terminals to the old relays.

However, it can easily screwed up by the novice. ;)
black63lincoln
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by black63lincoln »

I did it for my rear window auto retract.

Definitely doesn't look as pretty as stock but it works great.. no problems as of now.

Pretty sure I replaced the cover on that open relay tho.. :D

http://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/v ... ys#p101972
Todd
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

And a permanent fix would be to cut off the molded ends, solder and shrink wrap the wires to the wires remaining. If you purchased the mating terminal block, the terminals would snap right in then onto the relays.

It can be done. Your's looks OK, but you have introduced another connection. Next would be tagging and labeling them so if they come off you can put them back without looking anything up.
marcuswalker
Occasional Visitor

Post by marcuswalker »

I just replaced my window retracting control relay(in center post) on my 67 and I can't seem to get it to work properly. Could someone confirm that I am connecting it correctly?
30 - Orange wire (always hot)
87a - Yellow wire (window up)
87 - Red wire (window down)
85 - Black wire (from door latch, tooth pick switch)
86 - Red/Blue sniff switch I believe

Thanks
bobjffry
Frequent Contributor

Post by bobjffry »

Marcus, did the connection above ever work out, if not could you enlighten me on what did. I'm trying to figure out my window up relay connection. The only thing I'm sure about is the orange always hot and red hot when switch activated.
1966 Lincoln Continental Convertible

Return to “Convertibles, Convertibles, Convertibles”