Lincoln Struggles, Pins Future On Zephyr/MKZ

If it is Lincoln-related and doesn't seem to fall in the other categories or you just can't figure out where to put it, put it here!

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, Continental69

badwf
Lincoln Maniac

Lincoln Struggles, Pins Future On Zephyr/MKZ

Post by badwf »

According to a current article from Motor Trend magazine, Lincoln is struggling and that FoMoCo CEO Alan Mulally wanted to jettison Lincoln. The Lincoln division is pinning its future on the 2013 Lincoln Zephyr/MKZ.

Quoting the article, "Lincoln is going after a thin slice of those customers who are 'open to acquiring new brands,'..." WHAT?!

You can read more about it at:
http://t.co/nXUPgHje
David Ferguson

Lincoln MotorCars - Luxury in Motion
http://home.olemiss.edu/~badwf/lincoln.html
linc64
TLFer for Life

Re: Lincoln Struggles, Pins Future On Zephyr/MKZ

Post by linc64 »

Ford has big plans for Lincoln. A new management team to lead Lincoln's resurgence was announced last Friday. I wouldn't count them out yet. I really believe they're headed in the right direction.
Jim Ayres
Western Region Director
Photobucket link blocked by PB
Join the LCOC
Join the Lincoln Motorcar Foundation
lincolnfanatic4life
No Longer With Us

Post by lincolnfanatic4life »

that car is a disaster from every angle compared to the Fusion...

i can tell you right now that MKZ is NOT gunna save Lincoln..

anyone else find the front end of the new MKZ looks pinched in as if the overall design they were after didnt actualy fit the car, and had to be shrunk in at the edges to fit.

from the rear the car is even worse.

:dpuke:
1968 Lincoln continental
full chrome delete
all black on 20"s
linc64
TLFer for Life

Post by linc64 »

Well, they'd rather have a few people love it than have everyone like it.
Besides, there is more to come. Give them time.
Jim Ayres
Western Region Director
Photobucket link blocked by PB
Join the LCOC
Join the Lincoln Motorcar Foundation
JonW
Lincoln Maniac

Post by JonW »

We've been looking at an MKX to replace my Dodge Charger as our highway trip car. Haven't driven it yet, but we like the comfort, the seats, and the room. MPG is decent considering it's an SUV. So far the deal-killer is SYNC. I really don't want that. Hopefully Lincoln will get to stick around. I think there is room for it in the marketplace if they build good products and have good marketing.
1962 Continental resto-mod
Yeah, it's got a Hemi
1979 Mark V 1 of 1
Triple Turquoise
1979 Mark V Bill Blass Edition
ContiFan
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by ContiFan »

Lincoln should be labeled as "rebuilding" instead of "struggling" as none of their seven "all-new or significantly redesigned" models have even gone to market yet. A "turn around" is in the works, let's see what happens and then evaluate.

Even though Lincoln is just starting its "rebuilding" phase:
1. Sales of all Lincoln models except the discontinued Town Car are up CYTD through October at a time when sales of all Cadillac models are down except for the SRX.
2. Sales of Cadillac fell more than sales of Lincoln between 2005 and 2011.
3. Sales as a percentage of Cadillac continue to be stronger for Lincoln than they were most years pre-mid 1980s and before (periods many here would consider Lincoln's "best years").

Both Cadillac (especially) and Lincoln are WELL off their historic highs. At one time, Cadillac regularly had annual sales over 300,000 units (something Lincoln never achieved even one year) - what happened to Cadillac?

The bottom line question remains, where does each brand really need to be for "success"? Again, both are well off their game yet it is Lincoln and not Cadillac being labeled as "struggling."

Fortunately for Lincoln, most of the reviews of the new MKZ have been positive. It will be interesting to see what the next new models will look like.

Here's hoping both Cadillac and Lincoln have great "success" going forward.
SDContinental
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by SDContinental »

The biggest dilemma for Lincoln, as it has been for a very long time now, is that they are nothing but prettied up Fords. People just don't consider Lincoln a true luxury car. Americans are still purchasing and feel that a real luxury car, are cars like BMW, Benz, Audi, and Lexus. You see this all around us.

Even if sales are UP for Lincoln, how many of you physically see new Lincolns on the road? I know I don't that is for sure.

I can't understand why Lincoln wont at least think of the possibility of being the Rolls Royce of American luxury? Lincoln can't and wont change young peoples minds about there cars ever being "Cool" or hip, that simply will never happen. Young people aren't like "wow I got a Lincoln", it's more like "Wow I got a Cadillac'. Lets face it, Lincoln stands for "Old Man Luxury", the name "Lincoln" reflects that image.

Unless Ford can change the name from Lincoln to something totally different in order to attract younger buyers, I just don't see them being all that competitive in the luxury market. Cadillac is chasing BMW, I believe that Lincoln doesn't need to be doing what Cadillac is doing since they have been trying to go European for awhile now with sharp sporty like handling. Lincoln because of their history, needs to accept who they are and focus on projecting the image of "Soft Comfortable Luxury" that they are so well known for being. It doesn't sound like progress, but the reality is, the Town Car was still selling well before it got discontinued. Lincoln never bothered to update the Panther platform, or gave their cars a real upgrade to make them a viable competitor against other large luxury cars. That was on the execs for Lincoln. Only if they put in a more modern fuel efficient engine, a completely new transmission, all new interior with modern electronic features, I don't see why the Town Car couldn't attract more variety of people, not just older ones. Like I said, the higher ups at Ford simply didn't care and that hurt the brand for a long time.

If they can find a way to build a truly attractive luxury car again that has that Wow factor, they might have chance, but in order for consumers to notice them, they will have to move upmarket by separating themselves from Ford as much as possible, this is key, consumers aren't stupid, they see that Lincoln is nicer Ford and its hurting them. This whole thing about trying to stay competitive with brands like Buick, will never work and if anything will cause Lincoln to become stagnant forever.
61 Lincoln Continental Sedan....Sold
78 Lincoln Continental Sedan......Current
93 Lincoln Town Car......Past
Suicide65
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Suicide65 »

Lincoln designers need to pull their heads of their asses and design a retro looking model with a big Mark III style grill.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Suicide65 wrote:Lincoln designers need to pull their heads of their asses and design a retro looking model with a big Mark III style grill.
Not sure I agree that will sell cars today, but I learned from other cars that if you try to design a car that nobody hates and stay too conservative on the styling, nobody will love it, either, and only a few will buy it. Design a car that people will love and they will buy it, no matter how many other people hate it.

Maybe Lincoln is struggling/rebuilding because all of their cars are obviously warmed-over designs of other Ford models? The car needs to stand alone so nobody says, "I'll just buy the Ford version and save $15,000."
John Mc
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by John Mc »

Suicide65 wrote:Lincoln designers need to pull their heads of their asses and design a retro looking model with a big Mark III style grill.
Really, are you serious? How about skirts?? :roll:
John Mc - Lake Shore Region Director
‘48 Continental Cabriolet
‘77 Town Coupe Black Diamond
‘77 Town Coupe Glass Top
'06 Mark LT
‘14 MKZ
'15 Lincoln MKC
Suicide65
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Suicide65 »

John Mc wrote:Really, are you serious? How about skirts?? :roll:

Did I say anything about skirts? Look how successful the Chrysler 300 was, with the big commanding grill. If Lincoln came out with a new Continental with a large RR style grill, I think it would do well. Perhaps even suicide doors! Something different that the Fords they are throwing out there with Lincoln badges
manapiko
Frequent Contributor

Post by manapiko »

I'd say a smart move would be to do what Buick is doing, and sell a bunch over seas. The asian market LOVES large american cars. that's evident by the sales numbers.

That would at least give them a stronger base to stand on. I do believe that doing what caddy is doing is wrong. go for luxury, smooth ride, quiet cars, etc
John Mc
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by John Mc »

Now the rear opening doors I definitely agree with - they would certainly separate Lincoln from the pack....................oh I can hear the bean counters now, but if Lincoln wants to get back in the game, they need to be BOLD. Just like Cadillac did almost 10 years ago. But slapping on the old "Rolls Royce" grille would I believe, send exactly the message Ford does not want to say about Lincoln - an old man's car. If you're over 55, Ford has no interest in putting you in a Lincoln.

Has Cadillac lost more % of sales than Lincoln recently? Yes, but I think Ford would gladly take those numbers.
John Mc - Lake Shore Region Director
‘48 Continental Cabriolet
‘77 Town Coupe Black Diamond
‘77 Town Coupe Glass Top
'06 Mark LT
‘14 MKZ
'15 Lincoln MKC
manapiko
Frequent Contributor

Post by manapiko »

John Mc wrote: But slapping on the old "Rolls Royce" grille would I believe, send exactly the message Ford does not want to say about Lincoln - an old man's car. If you're over 55, Ford has no interest in putting you in a Lincoln.

I disagree. Look at any of their advertisments. It's gray haired guys and older women. It's a successful sharp dressed, but still gray hair person. If they don't want it to say old man's car, then stop selling to older men.
ContiFan
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by ContiFan »

BigGman wrote:Even if sales are UP for Lincoln, how many of you physically see new Lincolns on the road? I know I don't that is for sure.
While I want Lincoln to get the sales numbers they "need" (whatever that is), I would be quite fine seeing fewer Lincolns on the road than more Lincolns. Seeing a Lincoln or other [fill in brand] "luxury" car on every corner (so to speak) makes them less "special."

Unfortunately with today's lower entry prices, liberal lease and finance deals/terms, etc. "luxury car" ownership is far less of a luxury and today's buyers have many more choices. It used to mean something to own a new "Mercedes-Benz", "Cadillac", "Lincoln", etc. but not so much anymore. $349/month for a new Mercedes-Benz? You'd be laughed out of the showroom trying to get one for that (converting for inflation) decades ago.

Today's younger "luxury" car buyers are much more likely to go import (for one thing, they grew up with imports far more than generations past) and both Cadillac and Lincoln have seen sales fall significantly from their traditional levels decades ago. It's a much different marketplace that the luxury domestics have largely been losing...but hopefully haven't lost yet.

Return to “Miscellaneous Lincoln-related Discussion”