Wanting to keep my 63 convertible authentic.

Details such as correct colors, plating material, inspection marks, orientation, and even the number of wipes that should occur for a vacuum-powered windshield wiper system after pushing the "wash" button.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Carmotion

Wanting to keep my 63 convertible authentic.

Post by Carmotion »

Hello,
I just purchased a bunch of decals from Jim Osborne company. I told them I wanted everything they has for a 63 convertible. I have A/c and cruise on my car. I am now realizing not all of the decals I purchased go on a 63. Can anybody tell me which ones are correct for my car and specifically where they go?
I would love to see any underhood picture of a 63 which is authentic showing the locations of these decals.
Attached are photos of the decals and they are numbered for reference.
http://s975.photobucket.com/albums/ae237/Carmotion1/
Thanks, Chuck
AlT63bird
Lincoln Maniac

Re: Wanting to keep my 63 convertible authentic.

Post by AlT63bird »

Good news/bad news - good news is some of them are used on your '63, rest are for other years/models. One of my pet peeves is that decal suppliers sell these kits with extraneous decals to make a few more bucks (don't get me going on those orange/black "checkered flag" engine CID decals that show up on pre-'65 Ford/Mercury cars when they didn't start using them until '65):

1. Goes on speed control head in circular recess (?) - not sure if used '63, others can confirm/deny.
2. Not used '63 - this is for generators, not alternators, and I'm not sure it was used on generators of Ford products of the period (usually shows up on GM products)
3. Not used '63 - is for fuel filter canister on FE-series engines (352, 390), 6-cylinders and small-block V8s. Not for MEL 430. Original was silk-screened onto canister.
4. Tire pressure decal - not sure used '63, probably was in glove box - others can confirm/deny.
5. Side of coil near bottom/flat end. BTW it has a November 1960 assembly date (0L..) Original was silk screened/stamped onto coil.
6. On top of air cleaner for cars with PCV system - search photos to find examples for placement.
7. On back of AC compressor. Can't vouche that it was actually used or what model of compressor (Tecumseh or York) - have seen similar on back of '61 Ford/T-bird York compressors - others will have to confirm/deny.
8. Not used on '63s - was issued in '66 or possibly later. I recall getting a warning decal similar to this in 1978 for a '69 Mercury Monterey as part of a settlement Ford made with the Federal DOT.
9. Side of air cleaner - search photos to find examples for placement.
10. Tag is wire-tied to overflow tube. Not sure if it is truly authentic for '63.
11. Top of oil filler cap. Some '63 T-birds and maybe Lincolns had this mounted on passenger side valve cover near the filler tube if it had a domed filler cap that had a raised area that was too small for the decal.
12. Not used on '63s - was placed on small ends of generator voltage regulator cover for '61-'62, original was stamped/silk-screened onto cover.
13. On starter body/frame, placed length-wise so that start/left side of text is toward bellhousing, end/right side of text toward front. Font type for engineering number isn't correct; original markings were stamped onto starter body/frame along with date code.
14. Not used on '63 - decal is off of A/C dryer canister for '64 Galaxie.
15. Not used on '63 - used on Rotunda R1A filters made after mid-year 1965 for MY '66.
16. OK to use on '63 - wraps around red-painted oil filter (Motorcraft FL-1) for not-so-close approximation of original Rotunda R1A filter, bottom of decal at bottom of filter. Original filter was painted red, graphics were silk-screened onto canister, and canister had "double stacked gear" design at top.
Alan H. Tast AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club International
autostick
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by autostick »

Ha ha ha. I asked the exact same question a while back. View this thread. You should also get a hold of the authenticity manual.
http://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/v ... =6&t=26718
here are some pics from an original unrestored 64:
autostick wrote:
toddallen wrote:Another thing I have noticed is sometimes I see a sticker on the expansion tank of old original cars, yet I believe the gurus say there is none on a 63.
I think you are right about that, if you look at Tim Wilson's 64 Lincoln, there is the sticker after just 1,000 miles. I have not seen any on a 63 or earlier.
AlT63bird wrote:It would be interesting to see an unrestored '64 Lincoln air cleaner with the straight decal to show an earlier use that what I've been familiar with.
Same unrestored 1,000 mile 1964 Lincoln showing the original air cleaner stickers.
Stuart M. Cohen
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Stuart M. Cohen »

Check the Authenticty manual for specifics. My site had some shots of my engine compartment that you can check out.