'95 Mark VIII Air Suspension Question

Frames, uni-bodies, suspensions, axles, springs, bushings, shocks, brakes, rotors, hubs, etc.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

projectSVT

Post by projectSVT »

Hello guys, I am wondering you guys have some ideas for a project that we're working on. We have a '95 Mark VIII with Air Ride suspension and we are wanting to tap into the vent on the air compresser to deflate tha system while at shows, cruise-in, etc. Do any of you have a good method of doing this?? Any help would be GREAT!!

Thank You.
Lugnut

Post by Lugnut »

There is already a shrader valve on the system for that purpose and for the purpose pumping up the bags from an external source. What ever you do don't mess with tapping into any part of the system. You'll be forever having inflation problems if you do.
KULTULZ
TLFer for Life

Post by KULTULZ »

The only way I can imagine doing this is by way of scan tool and if the system has a way of putting itself through a self dianosis routine as did the MARK VII.

If available (doesn't only offer fault codes), you would reach that portion of the test where it completely levels itself and stop there. The strut solenoids would have to be cycled to empty the air pressure back throught the discharge vent. You could not operate the vehicle in this mode as it would damage the struts.

Otherwise, you would have to have a way of over-riding the PCM to put it in the full trim mode and that would entail a special chip, similiar to a control module that intercepts the message and you can manually (or by way of lap top) vary the fuel and/or timing curve.

I am willing to bet someone has done this but have not come across it yet.
Lugnut

Post by Lugnut »

If one turns of the air suspension via the switch in the trunk, it is possible to bleed off the system with the shrader valve. I personally wouldn't recommend it given the fact any air suspension system is prone to having problems without encouraging it to have more.
drhardee
Frequent Contributor

Post by drhardee »

You may also want to use the resources of LincolnsOnline at http://www.lincolnsonline.com

They are a BBS for newer Lincolns and Marks, and have a whole forum set up for air suspension problems and challenges.
projectSVT

Post by projectSVT »

Thanks for all the info guys...we keep hitting dead ends on this little project. I really hope we can get it squared away!!
BLUECOLLAR
Occasional Visitor

Post by BLUECOLLAR »

Go to http://mark8.org/lod/ Do a search for the "Kale Mod". With this mod, you can manually take out air or put it in at any time.
KULTULZ
TLFer for Life

Post by KULTULZ »

Who would ever have thought... [img]images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]
Lugnut

Post by Lugnut »

Obviously has been done, but I sure wouldn't be wanting to take any bets on the long term affects or the subsequent problems that could well be created.

Return to “Chassis, Suspension, Steering & Brakes”