Continental that crouches when left

Frames, uni-bodies, suspensions, axles, springs, bushings, shocks, brakes, rotors, hubs, etc.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Paul_TT

Post by Paul_TT »

The rear air bags on my Mk VII seem to have a leak. Sometimes when car left overnight the suspension lowers at the rear by maybe 4 or so cm ( 2 in in 'old terms') but rises as soon as engine started .

I hear there is a kit that can be fitted to cure this.

Can anyone please tell me where to contact as I will need shipped to UK. Is there a web site showing how a kit can be made myself with access to engineering kit.

Thanks for any help.

Paul [img]images/smiles/icon_confused.gif[/img]
inner_voice_has_tourettes
Occasional Visitor

Post by inner_voice_has_tourettes »

Crouching Continental, Hidden Bagleak [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
bikestwo
Occasional Visitor

Post by bikestwo »

Paul,

There a few companies making kits,... You can chose to replace an airbag or replace them with a coil spring conversion kits.

Strutmasters and Arnott Industries have both kits available. BagMasters has only air suspension replacements and they will help with the troubleshooting. I have a Strutmasters coil spring conversion on my 84 Continental. I replaced all the air bags, I gave up trying to find someone who could repair it to last. The car rides great and I don't have to worry about a leak.

It is your choice to which you want to do.
Paul_TT

Post by Paul_TT »

Mike - many thanks for the reply.

Sorry but the firms you refer to are new to me being in England. Can you direct me to their web sites or provide phone numbers as can't find them on web without more details.

Many thanks,

Paul
BLUECOLLAR
Occasional Visitor

Post by BLUECOLLAR »

Yes Paul, it does sound like you have leaking air springs. Do yourself a favor, put NEW FORD air springs on your car and be done with it for another 5 to 10 years. The "New China" springs on the market now are new to the market and nobody really knows how long they'll last. The difference in price isn't worth a gamble in my opinion....especially when you figure how much it would be to ship another set if something goes wrong.

The price for NEW FORD air springs through my company are $145+shipping for "Standard" and $125+shipping for "LSC". Yes, you can put the LSC's on a standard model. http://www.americanairsuspension.com/MARK%20VII%20rear%20spring.htm

Keep in mind that if you use quality parts to begin with, and learn what makes the system tick and apply what you learned, you shouldn't have to worry about it again or do the same repair twice.
bikestwo
Occasional Visitor

Post by bikestwo »

Bluecollar,...

My apologies, I forgot about your company.

The airbags on my Lincoln had been replaced with Ford airbags a few years back. After having the rear end slowly deflate after cruising at 100 KPH (62 MPH) a few times. When I tried to have the deflation problem diagnosed, the local Lincoln dealership said they could not find a problem. I had enough of dealing with them. I did some research and found Strutmasters, the springs were made in the good old US of A, so I bought them.

Paul,...

The links are as follows:
Strutmasters - http://www.mark7.strutmasters.com/
Arnot Industries - http://www.arnottindustries.com/
Bagmasters - http://disc.server.com/Indices/37091.html

Bluecollar - provided his link.

Choice is up to you, I think they all ship world wide.
BLUECOLLAR
Occasional Visitor

Post by BLUECOLLAR »

No problem at all M Evans. I know I'm not well known on this site. My usualy hangout is markviii.org but I have worked on all these cars.

Your problem at the dealer is a common one. I worked for Ford/Lincoln for 15 years and had my warranty labor(in a dealership, 80% of your work is warranty) cut 3 times the last year I worked for them. Had all the training, all the "Ford" certifications, but they thought it was necessary to cut everyones labor 33% across the board. So, I think most of the old-timers have went there seperate ways. The few that are left have found ways make money with a pen. [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img] I think it would have been cheaper just to pay a decent warranty labor!

So now the majority (there are a few really good ones left) of the "techs" are Walmart and tire store rejects. Your problem is a pretty common one and I really think I could have helped you with your problem.

Unlike my competitors, I don't want to make money working on your car, as I have a different approach. I will teach you how to do your own work. Between my site and tech help over the phone(for the most part,7 days a week and up to 9 o'clock at night)

Return to “Chassis, Suspension, Steering & Brakes”