67 Convertible rear bumper

Anything that pertains only to a convertible goes here. Such as: Top material, pads, mechanism, hydraulic pumps, switch and relay mechanisms, latches, etc.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

jake1960

Post by jake1960 »

Hello folks,
I read somewhere that the rear bumper differs between the sedan and convertible in 1967. This would explain why my bumper is not bolted firmly into the trunk mounts of my 67. Can anyone explain the difference and is it only the facebar needing replacemant? Anyone know where to find one? I now have 2 donor sedans but that doesn't help with rear bumper. Any help appreciated. I am in Northeast Pennsylvania.
Jake [img]images/smiles/icon_confused.gif[/img]
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Uh... Yes. Convertible and sedan/coupe bumpers are different (impact bar only, actually). You can use a '66 or '67, but not a sedan's on a convertible.

I think it is possible to CUT the extra part off a sedan, but you would to do a top notch job for it not to look butchered!

It should all bolt up the same though.
jsanford
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by jsanford »

Yes it is true. '66 and '67 have a different bumper. It is only the upper "impact bar" which is different. My '67 has a sedan bumper which is bolted on firmly and works. There is very little clearance between the deck lid and the bumper, but they never contact. Because they are convertible specific these bumpers are extra expensive.
Jeremy

Return to “Convertibles, Convertibles, Convertibles”