Did I pay too much??

Anything that pertains only to a convertible goes here. Such as: Top material, pads, mechanism, hydraulic pumps, switch and relay mechanisms, latches, etc.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

<bigpagan@aol.com>

Did I pay too much??

Post by <bigpagan@aol.com> »

I need opinions here, LOTS of them.... I purchased a 67 convertible last month. I am the 3rd owner, 125K miles. Engine rebuild 1,500 miles ago. No body damage, car's black top, paint, black interior (replaced with vinyl - yuk), and black carpet were replaced summer 2000. No rust that I can find. It was repainted the original color, a charcoal metallic. It is beautiful and has EVERY option, except the 8 track. It runs/drives like new, even at speeds damn near 100MPH. Now the downsides. The power windows work when they feel like it, and the top decklid won't open, so I cannot lower the top. I have John Cashman coming the first week of April to repair the top/window woes. I paid $6,000.00 for the car. Did I pay too much? I assume I did not because even if the top/window repairs cost as much as $2,500 to make new again (I hope not!), I will still only be at $8,500.00. MUCH lower than what I have found for sale. PLEASE let me know what you think?? Also, WHY IS IT that there are never any LCOC gatherings or drives in my area?? I am in the Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge area of East Tennessee. A huge tourist destination, and one of the most beautiful places on Earth for driving around. Just curious.
Vince [img]images/smiles/icon_confused.gif[/img]
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Did I pay too much??

Post by Dan Szwarc »

it sounds like you got a deal. The window problems are most likely related to bad switches and a relay or two. $2500 to repair? [img]images/smiles/icon_eek.gif[/img] Sh*t, I wish I was in that business. And I offer advice for free. [img]images/smiles/icon_mad.gif[/img]

That'll be $50, please. [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
66coupe
Occasional Visitor

Did I pay too much??

Post by 66coupe »

Ahh, but Dan, you can't take the dough with you...and if there's a Lincoln Heaven, the good works you perform here on a regular basis have surely won you a spot right next to Henry Leland! [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]
Jim Smith
Dedicated Enthusiast

Did I pay too much??

Post by Jim Smith »

Vince, you got a deal! Enjoy....and I'll see you in Lincoln Heaven in case I don't make it to Tennessee!
Mike Marttila
Frequent Contributor

Did I pay too much??

Post by Mike Marttila »

Vince
I have two questions. First one, are you happy with the car? Number two, do YOU think you paid too much? My guess is you are happy and you don't think you paid too much, if so who cares what other people think! I have a 65 convertible and paid roughly what you did. It doesn't look like it did when I first brought it home but time, money, elbow grease and more money has it looking fine in my eyes. There are not a lot of them left, so enjoy what you have [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]
That's my 2 cents
Mike [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
Dennis McCoy

Did I pay too much??

Post by Dennis McCoy »

I'm sure John Cashman can fix it. Hopefully for much less than $2500. Question: didn't you notice the windows and deck lid weren't working when you bought the car? Just curious.
<mj>

Did I pay too much??

Post by <mj> »

The price you paid was very reasonable.If you see similar cars for sale in the classifieds,you'll find them priced close to the 10K mark,so the fact that the deck lid and windows don't work is no big deal.You got a '67 convertible,the last of the unibody 4dr convertibles which is probably the most collectable 4dr convertible after the '61,so just enjoy the ride and let us know how much JC did charge you.
<bigpagan@aol.com>

Did I pay too much??

Post by <bigpagan@aol.com> »

Thanks for the many replies, they are greatly appreciated! I dont think I paid too much at all, I was just wondering what the general consensus would be. I am EXTREMELY HAPPY with the car... I did know tha top and window woes before purchasing the car, which is why I bought it for 6k rather than 10k+ (which is what I have been used to seeing them go for without the problems). I am having one problem though... recent VERY cold weather has revealed a problem. It will not start when cold unless I spray starter fluid into the carb. I removed the choke, it was stuck... freed it up and reinstalled it, but see no difference in starting even though the choke now works fine. I dont know enough about auto repair to know what to do next.... any words of wisdom?? [img]images/smiles/icon_confused.gif[/img]
jleonard
Addicted to Lincolns

Did I pay too much??

Post by jleonard »

Could be the accelerator pump. This is supposed to spray some raw fuel into the carb throat when the gas pedal is pushed down a lot. That extra fuel helps in cold starts because a lot of the vaporized fuel condenses on the cold intake path. It also keeps the motor from leaning out when you accelerate quickly, hence the name.

You can see if it's working by looking down the carb while the gas pedal is pushed down quickly (not with the car running tho...). You should see and hear the fuel come out.

If it's NG, you may be able to get one from NAPA. Otherwise you'll have to try Baker's or the other Lincoln houses.

- John

Return to “Convertibles, Convertibles, Convertibles”