conv't top cycle

Anything that pertains only to a convertible goes here. Such as: Top material, pads, mechanism, hydraulic pumps, switch and relay mechanisms, latches, etc.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

<smoky@netcarrier.com&

conv't top cycle

Post by <smoky@netcarrier.com& »

When I try to lower my top, the deck lid unlocks & raises about an inch, then just lays there. I pulled the rear seat and have access to the deck lid open relay, but how do I actually check to see if it is good, etc.? Also, if I have the relay unbolted from its mount, will it still have a ground? I'm not sure what to do next. Thanks for any help! [img]images/smiles/icon_confused.gif[/img] <A HREF="mailto:smoky@netcarrier.com">smoky@netcarrier.com</A>
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

conv't top cycle

Post by Dan Szwarc »

It sounds like the pump to open the deck isn't kicking in. Why is another matter.

First, try jumpering or bypassing the relay to open the deck. Find the relay (I'm assuming you have a manual). The connector to it has two thick wires and one or two thin ones (Ground is through the metal case to the body so... no, disconnect the relay and you lose ground).

Using heavy wire, connect the two thick wires together. I beleive this can be achieved with a screw driver with the connector half off the relay. If the deck opens you know the pump is good.

Get the deck open half way, the try the top switch. does the deck go up and down? If so, then your relay is good.

Now with a second person's help and the deck halfway up, have them apply the top switch down, then push the deck closed switch with your finger. Does the deck stop? That means the switch is good and just needs to be adjusted slightly downwards to turn on the pump sooner.

You can compensate for a misadjusted switch by pulling up on the deck when it stops as you are trying to open it (while holding the top up/down switch on). If the deck suddenly starts moving, you have a misadjusted switch.

There's more, but I'd like you to try what I suggested and report back.

And it doesn't matter if you are doing a top up or top down cycle. The same parts are involved.
Dennis McCoy

conv't top cycle

Post by Dennis McCoy »

Smokey,
Have you solved the problem yet? You don't say what model year you own, but try this...
It sounds like what I've experienced from time to time. The (what I call) lift switch is slightly out of adjustment.
With someone in the car pulling the top-up handle, go to the passanger side of the car, slip your fingers under the lid, if you can, at the upper right corner and pull with all your might. If the lid now rises, you just need to adjust the little plunger device housed in the trunk over the right rear wheel housing. Adjust with a screw driver upwards just a tad.
I say just a tad, or the next time you open the trunk it might pop open like a son of a bitch.
That's the simple first solution. If that doesn't work, then, yes, we're on to the nastier bits.
Dennis McCoy

conv't top cycle

Post by Dennis McCoy »

Sorry smokey,
As Dan suggests, adjust it DOWNWARD just a tad. This is what happens from being a left-handed backwards thinking person [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Return to “Convertibles, Convertibles, Convertibles”