63 brake booster question

Frames, uni-bodies, suspensions, axles, springs, bushings, shocks, brakes, rotors, hubs, etc.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

sickandtwysted
Frequent Contributor

63 brake booster question

Post by sickandtwysted »

how do you test a brake booster on or off the car to see if its working? I dont think my booster is working in my 63. before i swap it out with one off my parts car id like to test both of them.
63' sedan (daily driver)
00' navigator
kook43
Frequent Contributor
Location: west suburbs of St. Louis, MO now, but missing Phoenix, AZ

Re: 63 brake booster question

Post by kook43 »

Sorry don't know, but Booster Dewey could probably tell you. For all those with outdated links here is his new one:
http://boosterdeweyexchange.com

good luck
Kook-
ReijerLincoln
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by ReijerLincoln »

Do a search. I know I've read about this several times the past few years.
1964 Lincoln Continental sedan

http://bigfancycar.blogspot.nl/
sickandtwysted
Frequent Contributor

Post by sickandtwysted »

seems the "test" is with the car off pump the brake to purge all the stored vacuume. then start the car with your foot on the brake and the pedal should drop.

my pedal doesnt drop when you start it and it doesnt return all the way either. and sometimes the brake lights stay on too.

now does anybody know how to test the booster off my parts car, short of installing it to see if works?
63' sedan (daily driver)
00' navigator
toddallen
TLFer for Life

Post by toddallen »

Boosters do not do too well sitting around unused. There is a leather seal internally that will dry out and render it useless. I would get one rebuilt. I had mine rebuilt, and after sitting for so many years lost it's seal, the booster maybe had 25 miles of use on it, but after sitting for 5 years it was toast.
1963 Linc Convertible
1963 Linc Vert parts car
1968 Mustang FB
2009 Cadillac CTS
ARZ

Post by ARZ »

All Brake vacuum boosters work off of "vacuum". If it dosent hold a vacuum its probably not up to par. Also make sure the check valve between the manifold and the Brake booster is working. If you disconnect that hose between the check valve and the Brake booster, listen carefully the very moment you remove the hose from the barb and you should/might hear the vacuum released. Im not 100% sure how the components of this car work but ALL vacuum boosters have to store a vacuum to work properly. If it is truely sealed with leather, some lube or oil should help in bringing that leather seal back to life, at least for a little while.

Return to “Chassis, Suspension, Steering & Brakes”