Suggestions and topics for the 2008 National Board Meeting

This public area is set aside as a courtesy for the Lincoln & Continental Owners Club and the Lincoln Motor Car Foundation for topics specifically related to the them. Inquiries can be made by non-members concerning the two organizations here. All mention and reference to the LCOC is allowed under fair-use laws. TLF.Net is not affiliated with the LCOC or LMCF in any way and the messages posted here do not reflect the views of the LCOC or TLF.Net. Members who wish to post private messages to or about the LCOC may do so in the Private LCOC Forum.

Moderator: LCOC Moderators

Barry Wolk
TLFer for Life

Post by Barry Wolk »

It seems punitive to make members pay three dues; national, regional and chapter.

It would seem fair that the region would dues split with those in the chapter. That way the same amount of money would be collected and those funds used to seed local events.

It seems unfair that the Michigan Region members would only pay national and regional dues and have NE pay three sets. I wouldn't like that one bit.
'56 Mark II convertible, '51 Royal Spartanette, '56 Chris Craft Continental
'68 Lincoln Continental Limo, '77 Town Car, '55 356 Porsche Continental cabrio,
'69 Mark III convertible,'88 BMW 750iL, '88 BMW 325iX, '97 BMW Z-3, '98 ML-320

My newest car is 15 years old!
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

barry2952 wrote:It seems punitive to make members pay three dues; national, regional and chapter.

It would seem fair that the region would dues split with those in the chapter. That way the same amount of money would be collected and those funds used to seed local events.

It seems unfair that the Michigan Region members would only pay national and regional dues and have NE pay three sets. I wouldn't like that one bit.
It does seem excessive. You are right. The requirement for chapter members to be a member of a region is not reasonable. If the region served them, then why would they want to form a chapter?

So I modify the proposed requirements: Members who live in a predefined region can form a chapter without being members of the region. If you lived 2 hours away from all regional activities, why would you be a member of the region?

All chapter members must be LCOC members (I think that's a given).
Barry Wolk
TLFer for Life

Post by Barry Wolk »

So, a chapter would be a region-to-be, based on performance gauged by whom? Certainly not the region it's trying to separate from, I would hope. Who would decide if they are worthy of being a region?

Just some questions.

Bob Hubbard
On Special Assignment

Post by Bob Hubbard »

barry2952 wrote:So, a chapter would be a region-to-be, based on performance gauged by whom? Certainly not the region it's trying to separate from, I would hope. Who would decide if they are worthy of being a region?

Just some questions.
National.
Bob.
Barry Wolk
TLFer for Life

Post by Barry Wolk »

Bob Hubbard wrote:
barry2952 wrote:So, a chapter would be a region-to-be, based on performance gauged by whom? Certainly not the region it's trying to separate from, I would hope. Who would decide if they are worthy of being a region?

Just some questions.
National.
Bob.
I'm curious as to how that would work. Having spent as little time as possible in a corporate setting I have little knowledge of the "rules" of this type of scrutiny.

Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re:

Post by Dan Szwarc »

barry2952 wrote:I'm curious as to how that would work. Having spent as little time as possible in a corporate setting I have little knowledge of the "rules" of this type of scrutiny.
The rules are not clearly defined, although things like this (region forming) do tend to get national board votes before they are approved.

Anything that is not clearly defined tends to get a vote.
jsanford
Lincoln-ally Insane

Re: Suggestions and topics for the 2008 National Board Meeting

Post by jsanford »

So a Chapter could not be formed in any geographic area that is within 2hrs of a place where a regional event was held in the past year? I think maybe a mileage rule would be better.
The wording should be something like "Chapters may be formed in underserved areas of existing regions" and "Underserved means areas which are more than 100 miles from any regional activities in the past calendar year."

Jeremy
LCOC Western Region Webmaster & Northern CA Activities Coordinator.
Barry Wolk
TLFer for Life

Post by Barry Wolk »

jsanford wrote:So a Chapter could not be formed in any geographic area that is within 2hrs of a place where a regional event was held in the past year?
Jeremy

I think I would say "outside" rather than "within". I know what you meant, but I think this is clearer.

Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

The 2 hours was just a suggestion. Anyone who thinks they can form a chapter near the operating point of another region might as well go ahead and try.

The hardest part with region splitting is the splitting itself. Since the LCOC defines a region by a geographical boundary, splitting a small area or a region and a chapter that are close could be difficult.
Bob Hubbard
On Special Assignment

Post by Bob Hubbard »

I think the formation of a chapter within a region should be left up to a majority of members in that particular region.
Mileage or geographical area should not enter into any decision.
If it can be shown that a new chapter would benefit a particular area,and that enough people would be in the new chapter, that should be good enough to form the chapter.
Bob.
dug
TLF Director

Post by dug »

A Chapter is a subset of a Region and could be "sponsored" by a region. It would not have to be turned into a Region unless they want to be. I would love to have someone form a Chapter on the west side or the northern part of Michigan. I would support them as much as possible and give our other members a chance to go to other areas of our state. If They decided to Form a Region of their own they would have to start adding other responsibilities to their repetoire and prove they have the resources (manpower) to carry out Region responsibilities. I would hate to lose our vote at national LCOC meetings.There is still a lot of questions to be answered so that all members can have a better access to our Lincoln family.
Doug Shahady
MI-LCOC
1966 Lincoln Convertible
dug
TLF Director

Post by dug »

Another suggestion,
I would like to see each region have a handbook with all minutes and other National club info available to them. This should be handed down and kept up from director to director.
Doug Shahady
MI-LCOC
1966 Lincoln Convertible
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Bob Hubbard wrote:I think the formation of a chapter within a region should be left up to a majority of members in that particular region.
My first proposal basically stated this (regional members vote if they are in a proposed subdivided region).
Stuart M. Cohen
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Stuart M. Cohen »

Are we over thinking this? Why can't it be set up that if there is enough involvement to form a region, just go ahead and do it. I live less than probably 60 miles from the Philly region and eventually want to form a south Jersey region. Why, because there are enough people (at least 11) who would be willing to be a part of a region that will sponsor events closer to where we live. Sure, some of them are current Philly region members, but they joined that region because it's the only one. Few are members of the national but not any local, and a bunch are not even members of the national. I'm guessing this would hold true for other parts of the country. So, if there are people who want to promote the national and are willing to work together putting on local events (and possibly hosting a national meet), why make it difficult? After all, weren't the existing regions just carved out of larger ones?

Believe me, I'm all for expanding the club. I just don't want to keep it simple.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

You don't want it simple? Or you DO want it simple? :smt017

I want it simple, too, but power struggles and personalities are what made it "complex".

Return to “Public LCOC & LMCF-Related Discussion”