Dan Szwarc for National Director of LCOC - 2008

This public area is set aside as a courtesy for the Lincoln & Continental Owners Club and the Lincoln Motor Car Foundation for topics specifically related to the them. Inquiries can be made by non-members concerning the two organizations here. All mention and reference to the LCOC is allowed under fair-use laws. TLF.Net is not affiliated with the LCOC or LMCF in any way and the messages posted here do not reflect the views of the LCOC or TLF.Net. Members who wish to post private messages to or about the LCOC may do so in the Private LCOC Forum.

Moderator: LCOC Moderators

gkramer47
Former LCOC Pres.

Post by gkramer47 »

Barry,

Fizzies is not an animal. Depending on who's looking at this group, sloth, ferret or, possibly T-Rex might be appropriate.

By the way, missed you at Keels and Wheels this year. Thought you were coming. Are you going to Cinncinatti and will you get to see Mrs. Hess? If you do, please reiterate my desire to do the H&E article. I've called numerous times, but, aside from the one callback, I've never been able to connect. I'll be going to the Mid America meet and will be up that way in September. Hope we can reconnect then.

Glenn Kramer
Barry Wolk
TLFer for Life

Post by Barry Wolk »

As gas hit $3.00 a gallon the transport companies all dramatically raised their prices. It was almost $6,000 for guaranteed delivery in an enclosed trailer. Hard to justify for an $8.00 trophy. Besides, they wanted the '55 Porsche Continental, not the Mark II.

It would be great to get the job folder from Willard Hess' daughter, but I really don't care anymore. I'm tired of the BS. The car is widely accepted in all other circles so it makes little difference to anyone but you guys.

The LCOC events hold little allure for me as I like showing my car where people tell me what they like about it, not what's "wrong" with it.

Why would a party name need to be an animal? We do have the Repugnicans and the Demorats, I suppose.
'56 Mark II convertible, '51 Royal Spartanette, '56 Chris Craft Continental
'68 Lincoln Continental Limo, '77 Town Car, '55 356 Porsche Continental cabrio,
'69 Mark III convertible,'88 BMW 750iL, '88 BMW 325iX, '97 BMW Z-3, '98 ML-320

My newest car is 15 years old!
gkramer47
Former LCOC Pres.

Post by gkramer47 »

Barry,

Well, either way, we missed you and Glynette, regardless of which car, it was another great show. The Keels and Wheels guys know how to do it right. We had three cars there, my Mark III, Neil Pierson's turquoise "63 sedan and Jonathan Liston's cream yellow 67 convert.

I'm curious as to the "you guys"? I hope you don't feel that the offer of assistance was indicative of my position on how the cars are judged at the National LCOC meets. We're all working to try to mitigate some of these issues and Dan and Stu have stepped up to join the fight.

The "mascot" doesn't have to be an animal. Just thought I'd make a little joke.

Glenn Kramer
Stuart M. Cohen
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Stuart M. Cohen »

Barry Wolk
TLFer for Life

Post by Barry Wolk »

The "you guys" was a generality. I'm just a tad jaded to talk of help from the LCOC. I've asked several people to champion my cause. You have been the most responsive. Those way up the ladder just don't seem to care.

"They" would prefer to take the words of a person that withheld information on the history of my car to make a sale and another whose words were formed by a condition that affected their judgement.

Why is it such a stretch for the board to acknowledge the origins of my car? As you said earlier, we are going back to Cincinnati next week to be in the Ault Park Concours. We have been invited back as a former top award winner to be in a special display circle entitled "Autorama '56".

Cincinnatti is the home town of Hess & Eisenhardt. Art Sears, retired plant manager, worked on the project in late '55. He said they built two convertibles. I have no reason to doubt him. Willard Hess' son was away at college when the cars were built but distinctly remembers discussion about them at Christmas of '55. I don't doubt his recollection, either.

When we were at Ault Park in '04 we met Art Sears and a bunch of retired plant workers. Many remembered the project, too. I'd certainly remember if I worked on a Mark II convertible. I can certainly tell you about just about every job I've ever done as an electrician and that's no where near as cool as working on a Mark II convertible. One tends to remember stuff like that.

At the Ault Park show in '04 we were awarded a First Place and a very special award, the Willard Hess Award for Design Excellence. It was presented by Willard Hess' daughter. She has posession of the job file for my car that the LCOC is requiring a copy of.

She won't give it to me because she perceives that I've damaged her reputation by airing some of her family's dirty laundry. I wrote an article on my car that was published in Continental Comments. A private e-mail was published along with the article over my objections to the editor and the LCOC's legal adviser. She was mightily offended by it's contents. In effect, it's Continental Comments that's really the root of my predicament.

You know, in the last four years my car has been in numerous magazines all over the world. It's been in about 20 Concours all over the country where it's been seen by over 100,000 spectators, auto officianados, automotive journalists and historians and not a single person has come forward with any credible evidence of my cars origins, but me.

I found Ford documents addressing damage to my car. There were no other letters like it. Letters provided by Lowell Domholt further back up the information. Lowell is a recognized Mark II expert who has inspected my car and agrees that it is properly coachbuilt. Lowell suspected from the very beginning that my car was cut into a convertible because it was roof damaged. He wrote of his suspicions 2 years before I found the Ford letter.

The first public owner of the Derham Mark II convertible, Paul Wagner, wrote a letter stating that he knew of my car from the beginning since his job was to either scrap or sell custom cars made by Ford Marketing in Chicago, the same division that used Hess & Eisenhardt extensively. They did prototype Mark II work, building the Retractable prototype and 9 early prototypes for the Mark II coupe. Where's the stretch to believe that they made two convertibles, too? They made the Kennedy limo convertible, why not a couple of ragtops?

If my car is widely accepted in the classic car community and it's been identified by one of its constructors and its been awarded a namesake award given by the daughter of it maker, it escapes me as to why the LCOC snubs me? If this were a court case the circumstantial evidence would be overwhelming. I'd also be able to supoena the documents and end this once and for all. I was hoping to avoid that.

It's not that I haven't tried. I know you have, too.
Last edited by Barry Wolk on Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barry Wolk
TLFer for Life

Post by Barry Wolk »

Sorry Dan, I just realized that I hijacked your thread. I can move my post somewhere else, if you like.

Ann Szwarc
Frequent Contributor

Post by Ann Szwarc »

barry2952 wrote:Why would a party name need to be an animal? We do have the Repugnicans and the Demorats, I suppose.
Not the party name, the mascot. That's what was requested.
Ann
MI-LCOC Membership Chairperson
Wife of Webmaster
1977 Sedan, 1966 Convertible
Barry Wolk
TLFer for Life

Post by Barry Wolk »

Oops!

Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Badger? BADGER?!

We don't need to stinkin' badgers!
gkramer47
Former LCOC Pres.

Post by gkramer47 »

Stu,

Is that guy an LCOC member? If not, tell him to keep his opinions to himself...how can you keep everyone straight without badgers?

Glenn Kramer

Return to “Public LCOC & LMCF-Related Discussion”