Cross Reference: Fuel Filter

This forum is for listing part numbers, substitutions, and suggestions for replacement or new parts for our Lincolns.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

KULTULZ
TLFer for Life

Post by KULTULZ »

Dan Szwarc wrote:
The oil filler in the timing cover is ONLY for cars with California emissions (A.I.R. System) and a closed PCV system. All other 462s have the oil fillter on the same tube with the cap on it (the breather asm as you refer to it). I'm not sure when the A.I.R. system was first used.
Thank You for the clarification!
Not A Current LINCOLN Owner -

- Just An Admirer...

MEL DIVISION 1958-1960
linc64
TLFer for Life

Post by linc64 »

Dan, I'm positive this is correct for our Lincolns. The APCO filter isn't bi-directional, it says "in" on the male side. Below is the fuel filter section of the 1966 Ford Ready Reference Catalog. It shows fuel filter C0DZ-9155-A for the '60 Thunderbird (430) and Falcon. I believe the '60 T-Bird with 430 was the only year Thunderbird used this filter.
Now , here is the fuel filter section from my '60-'64 MPC. Although it only lists parts for Mercury, Meteor, Comet and Lincoln,(A=Mercury, C=Comet, D=Lincoln) you can see the caveats listed when using the C0DZ filter on the '60 Mercurys and Comets.
Also, the APCO card says replaces Mfg. No. C0ME-9155-C, not suffix A or B.
Here's one last picture showing an Autolite C0DZ-9155-A filter next to the APCO filter. An exact match, except for the names.
Jim Ayres
Western Region Director
Photobucket link blocked by PB
Join the LCOC
Join the Lincoln Motorcar Foundation
KULTULZ
TLFer for Life

Post by KULTULZ »

Good Investigative Work!

It illustrates the point I was trying to make (before I tripped all over it) that the OEM filters were decorated with stampings rather that printed displays. Makes for more difficult and exact restoration.

But C0DZ 9155-A is correct.

- Just An Admirer...

MEL DIVISION 1958-1960
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

KULTULZ wrote:Good Investigative Work!

It illustrates the point I was trying to make (before I tripped all over it) that the OEM filters were decorated with stampings rather that printed displays. Makes for more difficult and exact restoration.

But C0DZ 9155-A is correct.
I agree that the original filters were stamped on the end. However, my '66-69 Authenticity Manual says that the 462 filters should be stamped in red ink with the word Autolite on the side of the barrel. I'll check my pics again to see if I have any pictures of any fuel filters with the logo.

Update: Nope. No pics of the fuel filter. At least not one with printing on it.
linc64
TLFer for Life

Post by linc64 »

Yes, my '64-65 authenticity manual says: "The fuel filter itself is an aluminum canister which may have a red "Autolite" logo and the part number on it." I guess they don't know exactly what was installed at the factory so they're not that picky as to what the fuel filter looks like as long as it's a Ford part. I've noticed that for many parts, if you were to go to the dealer months after your car was new and wanted to get a replacement part, it could be either Rotunda, Autolite, Fomoco or Motorcraft. I found a Fomoco filter in a blue and white box that I believe was correct for my era which is of course C0DZ-9155-A, and have it installed on my '64.
Jim Ayres
Western Region Director
Photobucket link blocked by PB
Join the LCOC
Join the Lincoln Motorcar Foundation
KULTULZ
TLFer for Life

Post by KULTULZ »

linc64 wrote:
Yes, my '64-65 authenticity manual says: "The fuel filter itself is an aluminum canister which may have a red "Autolite" logo and the part number on it." I guess they don't know exactly what was installed at the factory so they're not that picky as to what the fuel filter looks like as long as it's a Ford part. I've noticed that for many parts, if you were to go to the dealer months after your car was new and wanted to get a replacement part, it could be either Rotunda, Autolite, Fomoco or Motorcraft.
It is also possible the service replacement part (over the counter) may not appear exactly the same as an assembly part. Some of the gigs delivered may not be deserved.

This is why I would never be able to precisely restore a car, the details would drive me craxzy.

- Just An Admirer...

MEL DIVISION 1958-1960
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: Cross Reference: Fuel Filter

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Just a note that the Fram G8 filter has disappeared from their website. I ordered some Napa filters, but there were only 3 in the computer. John Cashman said that these filters are no longer being made, but there are probably a few left in various warehouses. I paid $7 each for the Napa's (plu stax). Rock Auto lists them for less than $5 each.
blue68
Lincoln Maniac

Post by blue68 »

after reading about the fuel filters I went down to my favrite old parts store you know the kind the ones that still have the catalogs.I was able to get 1 g8 fram and 2 wix 33036's and he said that it there ain't no more.he didn't know about napa or motorcraft.
1968 lincoln continental
2006 300c
2005 tahoe
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I saw this on ebay and added it to the list.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0232094002

Walker FF-332
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I saw this on ebay and added it to the list.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... %26fvi%3D1

Atlas: FF-4
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Recent post added these so I added them above.
Attachments
IMG_3262.jpeg
IMG_3262.jpeg (27 KiB) Viewed 203 times