Project Update w/ Linl to pics

If it is Lincoln-related and doesn't seem to fall in the other categories or you just can't figure out where to put it, put it here!

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, Continental69

MikeCio1
Occasional Visitor

Post by MikeCio1 »

Hello everyone. I know I have been a slacker in keeping you all informed on the project. Well it is coming along good. I purchased some repair books and had some friends help and its coming slow but sure. New alternator, carb rebuild, belts..yada, yada, yada. Things still need to be done....windows (see my post)A/C, exhaust system (you can hear that 460 rumble wow! hehehe) [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] very minor body work, vacuum leaks...and why wont that SURETRACK light go off? [img]images/smiles/icon_eek.gif[/img] Better get an anchor . Here is the link for some new pics along with the others to see some before and after or before and somewhere in the middle. But the end is in sight. Thanks for the help and encouragement.
Mike.
http://photos.yahoo.com/mike8019
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Good job, Mike! Have you had any body/paint work done or is it all spit and elbow grease?

It's coming along great!
hhmetal
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by hhmetal »

Nice job, Mike. What I want to know is why on earth would you be checking underneath that Chevy pick-up truck... certainly you're not considering some kind of parts swap are you? [img]images/smiles/icon_razz.gif[/img]
MikeCio1
Occasional Visitor

Post by MikeCio1 »

Hey Dan....no it is all spit and elbow grease. The car was rear ended in 71 after that the original owner was not happy with it so purchased a MarkIV. That is how my father in law got it. That is the only body work that was done on it. If you look close on the the rear end you can see the bumper is a little high on one side. It was allot of cleaning. I gutted the interior and cleaned each piece and put it back together. The exterior, I buffed (detail shop grade)then a couple of coats of good hand waxing. The top I scrubbed, then coated it with some Mothers Brand Top protectant. I used Mothers Brand Chrome Cleaner and Polisch on the bumpers and other chrome.

Dear Missing Linc....No parts swap in mind [img]images/smiles/icon_cool.gif[/img] I dont know if I could get that 460 under the hood of that Blazer.

Thanks for the comments guys.
Mike
MarkIII
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by MarkIII »

Hi Mike, look's GREAT!

So what new project are you gonna work on now? [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

On picture M39, it looks like both reflectors in the rear bumper are lit up????

Did you have any trouble with the carb seeping gas at the edges of the top gasket (the one between the air horn and the main body, particularly in front of, or to left or right of the bowl area)?

By the late 60's early 70's, bumpers were pretty much just something to look at, style over substance. The slightest tap and something would bend. There may be enough slot width in all the brackets to reset it level. I need to do the same with mine.

If you need to keep those elbows limbered up, come over to my Lincoln Health Club, we have plenty of "exercise" equipment to work out on [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
MikeCio1
Occasional Visitor

Post by MikeCio1 »

MarkIII..Your real funny...far from done. Its needs to run as good now.
The reflectors are not lit up..simply "reflecting the light from the flash" So I guess you would say they are working up to par [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
I had no trouble with any gas seepage before during or after rebuilding the carb.
I did put a inline gas filter in right before the new fuel pump. Hopefully that will keep out any left over stuff that was in the gas tank after I flushed it, and keep that carb clean.
I will look into that bumber adjustment.
And by the way I have enough equipment to keep me in shape for a while....but thanks for the offer.
Thank for the input. I am grateful for all comments and advice.
Mike
<blkmk69>

Post by <blkmk69> »

Mike,

Car is turning out nice!

But is there a problem with the headlight doors not closing?

Had to replace one of the vacuum cans on my '69. Before it was replaced, the doors would start to open within 5 mins after the engine was shutoff.

Post on the this site when you are ready to replace the exhaust for some souces an OEM type replacement.

blkmk69
MikeCio1
Occasional Visitor

Post by MikeCio1 »

Yes...the headlights open within five minutes of turning off the car. I tried to listen for a vacuum leak. But I dont hear anything. How do you check those cans? Are they located underneth the door assembly?

I didnt give the exhaust system much thought. I thought I would just run it down to the local exhaust place (they do custom stuff its not a mienike type place) and have them do it. I feel air and hear a tapping type noise from the front of the block on the passenger side. So I think I have a manifold leak also. I dont think they would tackle that. I might have to find one somewhere....I am currently still working on the window thing (see my post in electrical systems) I am trying all the options before I pull those doors apart.
Thanks for you interest and help.

Return to “Miscellaneous Lincoln-related Discussion”