Found in a barn

If it is Lincoln-related and doesn't seem to fall in the other categories or you just can't figure out where to put it, put it here!

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, Continental69

Found in a barn

Post by Guest »

Overall, it's in pretty good condition. There are a lot of things I want to work on, though.

------------------
MarkIII

Found in a barn

Post by Guest »

She really looks good, that is a great shot.
You should consider taking pictures for ad companies Image
What color is the exterior called?
What is the interior color?

Found in a barn

Post by Guest »

Oh, you're right on! I staged that picture, trying to duplicate the one I saw in a Mark III ad for 1970. The ad is on that Norwegian web site that I posted the URL to on this site. I stood on a ladder to get the angle.
I'm not real sure about the color. The door label that has all the codes is weathered, and I can only make some of it out. The book lists only 3 colors that it could be. Medium Brown Metallic, Chestnut Metallic (my guess at the moment), or something Ginger. The interior is a brown leather, has some red in the brown also, I think. Is in real good condition, but I will have to work on the underside of the driver's seat, burlap was used to isolate the foam of the seat from the metal springs underneath. The burlap failed, and the foam is squishing down over the metal springs and coming apart as foam flakes and dust. The wire springs are cutting it. Need to pull the seats out to clean tracks and motors, etc., should fix the seat then. Not sure how to fix the foam, though. My upholestry knowledge is very limited. I don't think I even spelled it right!
It has Auto-Lamp on it, you can see the light pickup just in front of the windshield, way over on the driver's side. I don't know if it works, never thought to try it out yet. A nice little gimmick from those years. Hey, that's what Lincolns (oops, Continentals!) are all about!

------------------
MarkIII

Found in a barn

Post by Guest »

That auto-dimmer is a cool option. I had seen one on a old Caddy one time but it was inside the car. I believe the Dark Brown leather interior is call Dark Tobacco. I picked up a dealer show room catolog from this Auto-Lit place in NY( I can give you the web site if you want?) It tells you what all the codes are with the corrosponding color. A great way to check the originality of the car. The car I will be getting is too dirty to determine an exterior color right now Imageand I cant get to the plate to read it. I will just have to be patient. (I hate being patient!

Mike

Found in a barn

Post by Guest »

Dark Tobacco, that's a name that wouldn't be used anymore! But back then, the cigarette lighter was called a cigarette lighter. I took a look at Autolit after you posted the URL. Didn't see anything at the moment that interested me (maybe you had just bought it!).
Does your catalog have color patches that go with the color names? If so, if I can find an interior picture, I'll post it and maybe you could match it for me. I know what you mean about patience, the weather on the weekends has been bad, no car work. I think I'm suffering from withdrawal now.

------------------
MarkIII

Found in a barn

Post by Guest »

This was the Item I ordered:
http://www.autolitshop.com/shop/default.asp

Showroom Album Lincoln
Date:1971
Item#96327
Showroom Album, "Continental Product Data", Cars Shown, Original Binder
Our Price: $65.00 USD

They had some other things for your 70 (mine is a 71)

There are no color swatches in the binder however there are color charts and also the letter or corrsponding number code for each color and option. So if you can get me the numbers off your trim plate I might be able to match them with a name. I know the cars are a year apart, but I am sure most of the carry over codes should be the same.
I hope I can be of help.
I sent a e-mail to my father in law yesterday to check on the snow situation. No reply yet. Image
Mike

Found in a barn

Post by Guest »

Mark III,
I looked in the Showroom Catolog for 71 and it looks like that if your interior color is dark brown leather it is "Dark Tobacco" the only availble exterior brown colors that were available with that is Dark Metallic Brown and Medium Metallic Brown. Does that sound correct?
I hope this helps you.
Mike

Found in a barn

Post by Guest »

Hi Mike,
I think I have my codes straightened out now -
The "Trim" code is totally unreadable.
The Exterior Color Code is "Y", which lists out as: Chestnut Metallic / Chestnut Bronze Metallic / Medium Bronze Metallic.
But the book covers Ford/Lincoln/Mercury, so I don't know which one of the three names for the same actual paint color was used by Lincoln. Maybe you could tell me that.
Also, which interior color was brownish and went with that exterior color?

The only other brownish Exterior paint codes in the '70 manual were:
"R" = Dark Brown Metallic
"5" = Ginger Metallic / Medium Brown Metallic
which sound like the two you mentioned.

Was your Father in Law the original owner, or was he looking for something to fill up an empty corner of the barn? Image

Thanks,

------------------
MarkIII

Found in a barn

Post by Guest »

Mark III
In the 1971 Continental Product Data Book the exterior code Y is Deep Blue Met.

The only brown color I can find with a Y in it is 4Y which is Lt. Gray Gold and it is an Leather Interior Color or 3Y a cloth color (same color name). The exterior colors that are(were) available with that are A=Black,G=Dk.Green, H=Lt.Green, M=White, O=Lt.Yellow Gold, P=Med.Green Met., S=Gray Gold Met., W=Yellow & E9*=Ivy Moodust Met. *Optional Color at Extra Cost.

If you have a fax number I can fax you the page. I hope this is some help.

My father in law is the second owner. He bought it from the original owner, who was the editor of the local news paper. He sold it because his wife would not drive it...she said it was too big and enjoyed her compact car more...go figure.

Mike

[This message has been edited by MikeCio1 (edited January 31, 2001).]

Found in a barn

Post by Guest »

Mike, it looks like the color codes and choices changed from '70 to '71. Thanks for checking anyway.
I found a picture of a real prettied-up '71 Mark's engine at: http://www.mindspring.com/~suitemre/70linc/
Look for the gallery of pictures button. Warning, it will be a bit of a shock to see one all detailed! Image

No, mine's not detailed, I would just describe it as real good used condition.

------------------
MarkIII

[This message has been edited by MarkIII (edited February 01, 2001).]

Found in a barn

Post by Guest »

Now that I have had a day to pick my self off the floor from seeing that detailed engine......WOW. That page did give me a few ideas...mmmm. Juice up that power plant a bit Image Maybe I should just get it out of the barn first and take it from there. Anyway thanks for the replies comments and advice.
If the weather holds out my target date will be February 19. Appropriatly it will be my birthday week. I will let you know how it all goes.
Thank you all once again
Mike

[This message has been edited by MikeCio1 (edited February 03, 2001).]

Found in a barn

Post by Guest »

Sounds good! Remember, no joyriding! Image

------------------
MarkIII

Found in a barn

Post by Guest »

Hi Mike,

You asking about parts, the procedure I use is to first try local jobber, then L-M dealer, then the venders.

Things like master cylinders, u-joints, rear wheel cylinders, bearings and bearing seals are many time available from Pep Boys, Auto-Zone, Napa, etc.

If it was my car, would drop the fuel tank before starting. I know that it sounds like a lot of work, but they are not really hard to get out of these cars. Just be careful when removing the filler neck, (it slides right out) that you don't scratch the paint by the filler door. Clean the tank, checking for surface rust that will always find it's way into the carb.

If the car is a keeper, get a shop manuel. Baker Auto has them, but also contact Chris Dunn at lincolnlandinc.com@worldnet.att.net.
He may be cheaper.

Later.

blkmk69

Found in a barn

Post by Guest »

Thank you for the information.
Your right it does sound like allot of work. I had a loose filler neck on a 81 Camaro I had. Instead of messing with it I took it to a place in town that fixed it and re-did it for about 120 I might do that.
I was thinking to fill it with premium add lead, STP and some dry gas. I dont even know if there is gas in it. Thats a scary thought. I am suppose to pick up the car next weekend. I will take pics and keep everyone up on the move and the progress.

Found in a barn

Post by Guest »

Spring is coming soon. My '66 will be on the road in about a week (waiting for deck cylinders). I'm gonna save the carb rebuild for when I get bored.

Now, I just wanna drive the car!!

Return to “Miscellaneous Lincoln-related Discussion”