Here we go again!

If it is Lincoln-related and doesn't seem to fall in the other categories or you just can't figure out where to put it, put it here!

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, Continental69

TonyC
TLFer for Life

Re: Here we go again!

Post by TonyC »

Well, cool! Nice to see the routes you're taking, both there and back...and glad you managed to dodge that nasty weather just north of your route. That means this year's mileage challenge will actually be a challenge for me; this round-trip of yours alone will rival my accumulated mileage thus far, possibly best it.

But, once I get all Frankenstein's ills remedied, I'll be taking another road trip, into Texas to take care of stuff I couldn't take care of last time due to all the ills popping up simultaneously. That ought to add another 1,700 miles to Frankenstein's ticker.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Stuart M. Cohen
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Stuart M. Cohen »

Made it to Amarillo with no problems and just the one stop in Chandler, OK. We did Rte. 66 from Tulsa, OK to around Winslow, AZ before, so no need to stop again. One thing, though. The first time I filled up with 91 octane, I added a bottle of octane booster to play it safe. The next tank was also 91, but I only added a half a bottle. The following fill up was also 91, and I put in the other half of the bottle. The last one was 93, so no worries.

Question - if it's 91 octane, should I put any booster in?

Goal tomorrow is to go to Gallup, NM; no stops along the way. We were going to swing by the Musical Highway again so we can record it, but Robin read that is hasn't been maintained for awhile and part was paved over. Sad, it was really cool!
Attachments
LIncoln Motel, Chandler, OK
LIncoln Motel, Chandler, OK
Chandler, OK
Chandler, OK
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Yeah, I'd say that is a bit of overkill, Stu. You should not need octane booster for any gas with a 90 or higher rating. You run only 10.1:1 compression, which is low enough to handle 90-octane gas straight. Save your octane booster for the 80-something octanes. For 87, I'd say use a full bottle; and for 89 use half a bottle and determine how it behaves. If there is no knock, stick to that; if there is knock (but if there is it ought to be mild), then use the other half. You don't have to put in such effort and expense to make the gas's octane match that of diesel.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

91 octane ethanol-free is what I used in my '67 sedan with good results. Never heard the engine ping and never added any octane booster. If you get pre-detonation with 91, timing is probably slightly too advanced.....my two cents.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
rick
Lincoln Maniac

Post by rick »

What this???? NO PICTURES TODAY??? Not even a photo of the desert through the windshield ? Even that would have been enough to feed my habit. C'mon Robin,... Punch him in the shoulder.

Rick
1961 Lincoln sedan
2011 Lincoln Navigator
2015 Lincoln Navigator
Stuart M. Cohen
Lincoln-ally Insane

Thanks for the info on the octane booster.

Geez Rick, remeber we're at the end of moutain time! Robin has picture out the window driving but I have a few of my own to post. By the way, if anyone hasn't seen the pictures from our previous trips, just go to my site (link is in my signature) and click on the "Travels" page. Some are uploaded from this trip; I try to do them as I have time and had some issues getting started.

Made it to Gallup without a hitch. Stoped at the Midpoint Cafe for breakfast (stopped for pie the last trip), and then just straight driving to Gallup. I forgot just how much nothing there is from western OK heading west. Very pretty, but not much else.

Had a late dinner in Gallup, and drove by the El Rancho Motel to get a night shot. Did see some neat things in Gallup that we'll get in the morning.

Goal tomorrow, ending up as close to Needles, CA as we can after going through Flagstaff, Seligman and Kingman & Oatman.
Attachments
Midpoint Cafe 1, Adrian, TX
Midpoint Cafe 1, Adrian, TX
Anyone Hungry for Pancakes?
Anyone Hungry for Pancakes?
El Rancho Motel, Gallup, MN
El Rancho Motel, Gallup, MN
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Wait...Gallup, Minnesota? Isn't that in the wrong direction? :smt017

You know, the car would look really cooler (and safer) at night with a simple rewiring to the parking lights. I know that isn't show-correct, though.

---Tony
"Question Authority!"

Stuart M. Cohen
Lincoln-ally Insane

Oops! My bad, had dyslexia last night!

Long travel day with lots of pictures. Started by driving around Gallup again to get some neat shots. Then, headed over to Holbrook where I bought my first $6 gallon of gas!

Left there, and went to Flagstaff where we took more pictures and had lunch. Then, over to Seilgman, Kingman and Oatman via the Oatman Highway. What a trip! It's called the "Arizona Sidewinder". If you've never done it, it's quite an experience. It's 8 miles long, and has 191 curves. Average posted speed limit is 15 mph. White knuckle driving in the car, but very beautiful scenery.

Got into Needles after dinner and will be heading over the Old Trails Bridge, then back to Joshua Tree and up to Palm Springs. The host hotel is full, so since we're getting in early, will be staying someplace else for the night.

Posted some pictures, and will post the rest later.

Total to date - 3,464 miles, 318 gallons, 10.9 MPG, $1,505 in gas.
Attachments
Arrowhead Lodge Gallup, NM
Arrowhead Lodge Gallup, NM
Blakes Lottaburger, Gallup, NM
Blakes Lottaburger, Gallup, NM
Blue Spruce Lodge, Gallup, NM
Blue Spruce Lodge, Gallup, NM
El Capitan Motel, Gallup, NM
El Capitan Motel, Gallup, NM
Ford Sign, Gallup, NM
Ford Sign, Gallup, NM
Gallup Sales, Gallup, NM
Gallup Sales, Gallup, NM
Hacienda Motel, Gallup, NM
Hacienda Motel, Gallup, NM
Lariat Lodge, Gallup, NM
Lariat Lodge, Gallup, NM
Sahara Inn, Holbrook, AZ
Sahara Inn, Holbrook, AZ
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

:lol: I knew it was only a typo, Stu, I was just playin' wit' ya.

Nice progress so far! But jeez, $6?! That's extortion! I know, it's bound to get impossible the further west you go. In fact, that's probably what I ended up paying myself on my own trip; Florida was the worst in pricing, even when the inflation eased off for a short while during the return leg.

But you're almost there. Keep it up! That squeak from the front hasn't gotten worse, has it?

---Tony
"Question Authority!"

Stuart M. Cohen
Lincoln-ally Insane

Made it to Palm Springs late this afternoon. Started the day driving around Needles taking pictures, then headed to Joshua Tree National Park via the National Trails Highway. Had the privelege of paying $8.299 for gas today in Essex, CA. At least they were honest about it; there was a sign that basically said "Don't complain about the price of gas. We are open 24 hours a day, have high overhead and are 100 miles from anywhere (well, pretty close, 45 miles out of Needles)". I also saw a sign that showed the taxes due; .51 state, .18 federal and almost .08 sales tax). Luckily for me, I filled up when I had a half a tank (not knowing where the next station was since I was in the middle of no friggn' where) so I only put in 10 gallons). Got some neat shots on the National Trails Highway as well as inside the park.

After checking in, met John & Marshall and Art & Bonnie for dinner and had a great night. Have an oil change scheduled for tomorrow and and will try to move the car wash to tomorrow from Thursday since we got in early. Was able to schedule a mechanic to look at the brakes for Monday, and there are some things in Palm Springs we have on our picture list.

Pictures below are from yesterday; will post today's pictures as soon as I can. Not sure how much I'll be able to post during the show, but will try. Probably won't take many pictures at the show but we'll see.
Attachments
Western Hills Motel, Flagstaff, AZ
Western Hills Motel, Flagstaff, AZ
Sierra Vista Motel, Flagstaff, AZ
Sierra Vista Motel, Flagstaff, AZ
Hotel Monte Vista, Flagstaff, AZ
Hotel Monte Vista, Flagstaff, AZ
Restaurant, Flagstaff, AZ
Restaurant, Flagstaff, AZ
Supai Motel, Seligman, AZ
Supai Motel, Seligman, AZ
Copper Cart Gift Shop, Seligman, AZ
Copper Cart Gift Shop, Seligman, AZ
Lido Motel, Kingman, AZ
Lido Motel, Kingman, AZ
Route 66 Motel, Kingman, AZ
Route 66 Motel, Kingman, AZ
El Travatore Motel 1, Kingman, AZ
El Travatore Motel 1, Kingman, AZ
El Travatore Motel 2, Kingman, AZ
El Travatore Motel 2, Kingman, AZ
Hill Top Motel, Kingman, AZ
Hill Top Motel, Kingman, AZ
Rest Stop, Oatman Highway, AZ
Rest Stop, Oatman Highway, AZ
Oatman Hotel, Oatman, AZ
Oatman Hotel, Oatman, AZ
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

Still lovin' it, Stu! Wayne
Stuart M. Cohen
Lincoln-ally Insane

Thanks for all the kind words!

Had a quick minute to get caught up with the pictures. The first two are from Monday and the rest are from yesterday.
Attachments
Stagecoach Motel, Seligman, AZ
Stagecoach Motel, Seligman, AZ
Cool Springs Cabins, Golden Valley, AZ
Cool Springs Cabins, Golden Valley, AZ
Route 66 Motel, Needles, CA
Route 66 Motel, Needles, CA
Sage Motel, Needles, CA
Sage Motel, Needles, CA
Roy's Motel, Amboy, CA
Roy's Motel, Amboy, CA
Roy's Motel Restaurant, Amboy, CA
Roy's Motel Restaurant, Amboy, CA
Foreign Body Sculpture, Twentynine Palms, CA
Foreign Body Sculpture, Twentynine Palms, CA
Joshua Tree 1
Joshua Tree 1
Joshua Tree 3
Joshua Tree 3
Dinosaur, Joshua Trree, CA
Dinosaur, Joshua Trree, CA
Sands Motel, Yucca Valley, CA
Sands Motel, Yucca Valley, CA
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Very nice shots! That '59 in front of Roy's deserves better, though; body being in such good-looking shape, it ought to be snatched and restored. The size differences are really clear even in that picture; one would think it would be a lot heavier than yours, even though there really is hardly a difference in respective weights.

Reminder tip: When you go in next Monday for brake inspection, ask the mechanic to also examine the ball joints, especially the lower ones. It is a prudent check, being that they are more prone to make the suspect noise you've heard; and with the notorious history of lower ball joints on these cars, that makes it all the more of a recommendation. They may not be swaying the car like the Olympic in a tsunami, yet, but they could be a sign of trouble; mine gave that noise on my trip, and closer exam revealed looseness starting to develop. Of course, mine were used, but they already were aftermarket and actually lasted longer than they should have. At least have them checked, by shaking on the respective spindles; any sign of shifting from them, however small, and you'll know. Labor at that point ought to be free, as he'll already be down in that area checking the brakes.

---Tony
"Question Authority!"

TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

[Duped again; goddamn "Internal Server Error" made me post the same thing twice again. :smt011 ]
Last edited by TonyC on Wed May 04, 2022 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Question Authority!"

Stuart M. Cohen
Lincoln-ally Insane

Went over to see John & Marshall today and hung out a bit with them. John drove the car and said not to worry about the brakes. 4 different Lincoln knowlegeable peole told me not to worry about it. It's just some dirt caught in the shoes and won't damage the brakes. Probalby can't do anything about it until I replace them, so I'm gonna cancel the appointment with the mechanic and deal with it later.

Checked into the host hotel this afternoon after taking a few pictures in town. Had a nice time at the evening cocktail event[ saw some old friends and met some cool Lincoln people.

Driving tour tomorrow morning and the car gets detailed for the show tomorrow afternoon.

Off to the hospitality room!
Attachments
Marilyn Monroe, Palm Springs, CA
Marilyn Monroe, Palm Springs, CA

Return to “Miscellaneous Lincoln-related Discussion”