Here we go again!

If it is Lincoln-related and doesn't seem to fall in the other categories or you just can't figure out where to put it, put it here!

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, Continental69

TonyC
TLFer for Life

Re: Here we go again!

Post by TonyC »

Don't know, Stu, if the route you're taking will bring you through Kansas, or if so what part of Kansas you'll pass through. But if you find yourself in or near Manhattan or Junction City, hit me up; I live in that area.

Dan did a similar road trip 3 years ago, and I met him in Manhattan. It was purely coincidental, I just happened to be in Manhattan at the same time he was. When I saw his 'vert parked at a barbeque restaurant, I stopped immediately; I didn't know it was Dan's until he came out when he saw me hovering around his car.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Stuart M. Cohen
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Stuart M. Cohen »

So another day filled with driving and picture taking. Some gremlins are starting to appear with the car. Periodically, while driving, the "door open" light comes on, mostly after going over a bump. I close the back door, and it stops. Must be a loose wire; no big deal. Yesterday we went through about a half an hour of rain, and today, when I went to clean off what I thought was just a streak mark on my windshield, found out it's some kind of a wide scratch! Not sure if it can be removed; I had heard that Bon Ami works well on glass, but don't have that with me. Also, periodically, I hear a squeak from what I think is the front brake intermittently when I stop. Pretty much stopped by the end of the day, but I'm going to see if I can have it looked at sooner rather than later.

Had a great time in Casey taking pictures. It's really a cool town. Lots of "big things in a small town" as you can see by the pictures below. Left there, and on the way to Chicago, stopped in Altamont, IL & Munster, IN for a few shots before tackling Chicago.

Tomorrow, once I know what's happening with the brakes, heading out of Chicago down Rte. 66. We'll see about hitting Pontiac & Springfield as Tomo suggests.
Attachments
Miller Can, Altamont, IL
Miller Can, Altamont, IL
Antlers, Casey, IL
Antlers, Casey, IL
Barber Sign, Casey, IL
Barber Sign, Casey, IL
Bookworm, Casey, IL
Bookworm, Casey, IL
Mailbox, Casey, IL
Mailbox, Casey, IL
Mailbox, Casey, IL
Mailbox, Casey, IL
Rocking Chair, Casey, IL
Rocking Chair, Casey, IL
Taco, Casey, IL
Taco, Casey, IL
Typewriter, Munster, IN
Typewriter, Munster, IN
Rte. 66 Begin Sign, Chicago, IL
Rte. 66 Begin Sign, Chicago, IL
Rte. 66 End Sign, Chicago, IL
Rte. 66 End Sign, Chicago, IL
Lou Mitchell's Rte. 66 Restaurant, Chicago, IL
Lou Mitchell's Rte. 66 Restaurant, Chicago, IL
Wolfy's Sausage, Chicago, IL
Wolfy's Sausage, Chicago, IL
Superdawg, Chicago, IL
Superdawg, Chicago, IL
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Yipe...! I think you need to start looking for new 18" wiper-blade refills, ASAP, before you get caught in more rain and make that scratch even deeper. That's the only thing that could cause that: A shredded or missing wiper rubber.

Squeak in the brakes? I've never known drum brakes to squeak, certainly not just out of the blue after a long time between services. I wonder if the sound is coming from elsewhere, in close proximity to the brakes...namely, the lower ball joints. When one of those starts to give way, it warns with a squeaky noise; but it usually doesn't happen only when the brakes are applied. It will squeak with just about any significant movement of the lower control arm, like hitting a bump or hole in the road, or even rolling on rough-enough road. 'Course, I don't know how long it's been since you had those ball joints replaced; if it was recently, then maybe they could be okay, and the sound is in fact coming from inside the brakes. Check your fluid level daily; on a one-tub system, that's critical if you suspect potential brake trouble.

Hope the gremlins don't force you to abort your cross-country trip.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

Such roadside attractions! wow! Wayne
John Mc
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by John Mc »

Stu, looks like you already have some nice pictures and you’re barely out of the gate! Have fun, enjoy every mile!
John Mc - Lake Shore Region Director
‘48 Continental Cabriolet
‘77 Town Coupe Black Diamond
‘77 Town Coupe Glass Top
'06 Mark LT
‘14 MKZ
'15 Lincoln MKC
tomo
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by tomo »

Great photos, Stu. I hope that you got a photo of your car with the Gemni Giant in Wilmington, IL. It souunds like you are having a great time.

If you have isolated the Door Ajar light to one door, try lubricating the latch and spraying some wd40 in the sensor area.
Tom O'Donnell
Palatine, IL
1953 Capri Sport Coupe
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

Love the backgrounds you're getting.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs
Stuart M. Cohen
Lincoln-ally Insane

Thanks for the kind words!

No problems today. Talked with a LCOC friend in the area about the brakes as well as my mechanic and both said not to worry about it. My mechanic pulled all the wheels and checked the brakes, wheel cylinders and hoses and all was OK. He feels it's just something that got caught up in the brakes and as long as they are working, we're good to go. Did clean the blades (mechanic checked them last week when he went over the car) and actually wet down the windshield and ran them and all seemed OK. So, thank G-d, so far, so good.

Didn't travel very far today, only Chicago to Normal, IL. Took all day due to the pictures we took. Most of the day was on Rte. 66 since the stops are all on the old route.
Didn't do anything in Pontiac other than the Burma Shave signs. Tomorrow, we continue south on 66 taking pictures, and plan on stopping at the car museum in Stauton (south of Springfield). Not sure where we'll end up tomorrow night; depends on how long it takes to take pictures.

Enjoy the new shots; luckily, they don't show how dirty the car is. Hoping to give it a bath in the next day or so.
Attachments
Native Indian Man, Chicago, IL
Native Indian Man, Chicago, IL
Harvey's Hot Dogs, Cicero, IL
Harvey's Hot Dogs, Cicero, IL
Wind Up Teeth, Forest Park, IL
Wind Up Teeth, Forest Park, IL
Blues Brothers Car, Woodridge, IL
Blues Brothers Car, Woodridge, IL
White Fence Restaurant, Romeoville, IL
White Fence Restaurant, Romeoville, IL
White Fence Restaurant, 2 Romeoville, IL
White Fence Restaurant, 2 Romeoville, IL
Street Car Diner, Gardner, IL
Street Car Diner, Gardner, IL
Getting My Kicks on Rte. 66, Joliet, IL
Getting My Kicks on Rte. 66, Joliet, IL
Standing on Rte. 66 Bricks at Dick's on 66, Joliet, IL
Standing on Rte. 66 Bricks at Dick's on 66, Joliet, IL
Dick's on 66, Joliet, IL
Dick's on 66, Joliet, IL
Space Age Muffler Man, Wilmington, IL
Space Age Muffler Man, Wilmington, IL
Burma Shave Sign, Pontiac, IL
Burma Shave Sign, Pontiac, IL
tomo
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by tomo »

Stu, it's too bad you missed downtown Pontiac. You missed some great photo ops. Here is a couple of shot that I took in 2012. I took these at 9:30 AM and it was already 90 degrees. My Mercury doesn't like the hot weather so the temp gauge was nudging hot. I thought getting on I-55 going home would bring it down, but a stuck closed thermostat was causing the overheating. I had to remove both of them and refill with water in order to get home.

At least you had much cooler weather and I hope that you are enjoying the drive and miss all of the storms along the way.
Attachments
20094347.JPG
20093645.JPG
Tom O'Donnell
Palatine, IL
1953 Capri Sport Coupe
Stuart M. Cohen
Lincoln-ally Insane

Cool pix, Tom!

So we made it to St. Louis today. Most of the time we were on Rte. 66 or 55, which paralells it. Got some really cool pictures. The only snag was when I pulled in for gas, I didn't realize that this particular Phillips 66 station only had regular. Past experience taught me to carry octane booster. Instead of waiting until I was down to 1/4 tank, I filled up with 93 at 1/2 tank. Didn't have any problems running on the regular with teh octane booster. Keep forgetting to note the gas information. As of last fillup today, 1,875 miles, 175 gals, 10.7 MPG, $828 spent.

Did get a chance to clean up the car tonight since it was warm enough.

On the way, we did stop at Country Classics Cars in Stauton, IL. They probably have over 500 very dirty cars that are way overpriced and needed lots of work. They did have about a dozen or so Lincolns ranging fro '48 to '88, with one 67 slabside. It was a nice break from driving.

Hope you are not getting tired of the pictures. From here to the coast there are less pictures since we did the middle portion of Rte. 66 on the last trip.

Goal tomorrow is to get to Tulsa.
Attachments
Normal Theater, Normal, IL
Normal Theater, Normal, IL
Carl's Ice Cream, Normal, IL
Carl's Ice Cream, Normal, IL
Hot Dog Man, Atlanta, IL
Hot Dog Man, Atlanta, IL
Judy & Sons Store, Atlanta, IL
Judy & Sons Store, Atlanta, IL
Tropics Sign, Lincoln, IL
Tropics Sign, Lincoln, IL
Abe Lincoln, Lincoln, IL
Abe Lincoln, Lincoln, IL
Elephant with Martini, Springfield, IL
Ariston Cafe, Litchfield, IL
Want fries with that? Ketchup Bottle, Collinsville, IL
Want fries with that? Ketchup Bottle, Collinsville, IL
Amoco Sign, St. Louis, MO
Amoco Sign, St. Louis, MO
Chess Piece, St. Louis, MO
Chess Piece, St. Louis, MO
rick
Lincoln Maniac

Post by rick »

Stu, no way I'm ever gonna get sick of those iconic Route 66 photos, the trip I've always dreamed about. Great adventure, very Stu-like.

Guess there's only two horses left in the mileage challenge again this year and since at the moment Tony is troubleshooting some mechanical work - the advantage is all yours. Drive safe.

Rick
1961 Lincoln sedan
2011 Lincoln Navigator
2015 Lincoln Navigator
tomo
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by tomo »

Stu, Those photos are great to look at. I hope to enjoy them again in Lincoln and Continental Comments along with the story.
Tom O'Donnell
Palatine, IL
1953 Capri Sport Coupe
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

That was what I did on my Florida trip: Kept a stockpile of Gumout octane booster in the trunk, poured a bottle in at every fuel stop. Even taking in 87 octane gave me no problems as long as I added the booster...which was good, because the extortionist prices for even 89, let alone 92+, would have broken me before I even got into Texas on the return leg of the trip. Good thing that stuff is available at Wal-Mart; that had to save me a good $8 at every fuel stop...which, running with serious problems that must have contributed to my below-average fuel-economy of 11 mpg, would have added up, putting my savings account to $0 instead of just under $1,000 when the trip was over.

There was one exception: At a gas station off I-35, at the last free exit before the Kansas Turnpike took over the interstate, the 93 octane was actually the cheapest option, and its price was one of the best I had seen at any station anywhere! So, that fill-up spared my use of a bottle of booster until I got to Salina.

Glad the brakes are okay. Still, keep an ear out for any more squeaking; that could be an early sign of the lower ball joints weakening.

---Tony
"Question Authority!"

LC67Vert
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by LC67Vert »

Thanks for posting the pictures. No, there’s not too many. Keep on posting them. They’re terrific! Your trip sounds like a lots of fun and I have enjoyed reading about it here and in the LCOC magazine.
Jeff
1967 Lincoln Continental Convertible
Stuart M. Cohen
Lincoln-ally Insane

Made it to Tulsa tonight with no problems. Stopped at Devil's Elbow for a few pictures, then to Uranus to get some moonshine and fudge. We had been to Uranus before, so just stopped in to get the Apple Pie Moonshine.

Goal tomorrow is to get at least Amarillo, TX after hitting the Lincoln Motel in Chandler, OK. Hoping to have breakfast Sunday morning at the Midpoint Cafe, since we liked the pie last time. No other stops until we get to Seligman, AZ. Hoping to get to Palm Springs early so I can have someone look at the brakes. Car stops fine, but the squeaking when I stop is annoying; maybe I just won't stop.....

Last night, Robin put together google maps showing our routes. I uploaded them so you can see how we're going. Miles as of last fill up this afternoon are 2,147, with about 1,500 more to Palm Springs.
Attachments
Devil's Elbow Bridge, Devil's Elbow, MO
Devil's Elbow Bridge, Devil's Elbow, MO
Route to Palm Springs
Route to Palm Springs
Route home
Route home

Return to “Miscellaneous Lincoln-related Discussion”