Fire Extinguisher Question

If it is Lincoln-related and doesn't seem to fall in the other categories or you just can't figure out where to put it, put it here!

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, Continental69

mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Fire Extinguisher Question

Post by mge825y »

As I plan on driving my car more this year, I was looking into getting one of the 2.5 lb Halotron fire extinguishers. Just wondering if anyone has done the same and has any advice for what to buy and where and how to mount them?
Mark in Charlotte
1963 Lincoln Continental convertible
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: Fire Extinguisher Question

Post by Dan Szwarc »

All I can say if keep it in the back seat and not the trunk.

As for mounting, use a velcro strap and something simple or just tuck it under the front seat where it is accessible.
tomo
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by tomo »

Mine are tucked under the front seat. I have an umbrella on each side so it doesn't roll around. Having it there keeps it from getting kicked and possible accidental discharging.

This site has a good price for a good extinguisher.
https://ulonet.com/product/amerex-b385t ... inguisher/
Tom O'Donnell
Palatine, IL
1953 Capri Sport Coupe
CaptainDave
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by CaptainDave »

Smart move. Halon-substitute fire extinguishers are the way to go. Any FE is better than none, but those $20 dry chemical ones will ruin your engine. HalGuard makes a variety of mounting brackets. One of them attaches to the underside front of the passenger seat. Not cheap, but you know where it is at all times, easy for the driver or passenger to get to, and no rolling around.
'66 convertible "The Blue Lagoon"
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Prudent move, I suppose...although I hope it never will be needed, as was the case with a '62 Thunderbird my grand once had. I'd like to think that the Carter fuel system on MEL-fitted Lincolns holds up better than the Holley system used on the 'Birds back then.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by mge825y »

Thanks for all the great advice. I’ll check out the FE and brackets and report back on what I end up with and how it works.
Mark in Charlotte
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

The first time I tried to start my '67, it caught fire. Turns out, the carb was basically a ball of corrosion inside!
What I found out, the hard way, is that you cannot smother a fire on a MEL. The freestanding manifold design ensures a fresh supply of air from underneath. The moral of this is, YES, fire extinguisher! Also, get the largest one that will fit, within reason.
(The Lincoln survived, unharmed).
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
Solid
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Solid »

Try https://www.ogracing.com/ or https://www.summitracing.com/ for generic brackets that can be used to attach one to the seat rails or the like. You may find that an extinguisher that you can order from one of them comes with a bracket that will do the job.
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Suicidekid63 »

I wouldnt put it in a locking bracket, just place it behind the front seat for quick and easy access. If a fire breaks out, time is of the essence. IMO You dont want to be fumbling with a locked down extinguisher or trying to retrieve it from the trunk area. Trust me....
Any Lincoln owners who dont have a Halon extinguisher, GET ONE!
Steven Wecker 1963 Lincoln Continental sedan survivor/ Ermine white w/ Pearl honey beige interior
"Moby"- The Wixom whale / aka: "Pale Rider"
ALWAYS carry a fire extinguisher!!!
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

Hi Steve, I wondered how long it would take for you to respond to this one. As you may remember, I still have my car because the extinguisher was on the floor between my wife's feet. Wayne
mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by mge825y »

tomo wrote:Mine are tucked under the front seat. I have an umbrella on each side so it doesn't roll around. Having it there keeps it from getting kicked and possible accidental discharging.

This site has a good price for a good extinguisher.
https://ulonet.com/product/amerex-b385t ... inguisher/

Tomo - Thanks for the info. Ulonet does have good pricing, and I just ordered the Amerex-b385ts-2-5lb-halotron fire extinguisher from them.
Mark in Charlotte
mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by mge825y »

When I started looking for a Amerex 2.5 lb. Halotron fire extinguisher, I tried local merchants and several on-line suppliers. It was odd how everyone showed that they had them in-stock. But, when you tried to buy one, the order would not complete because they were suddenly out-of-stock. So, I finally purchased the Amerex B385TS Halotron fire extinguisher from Amazon and it arrived in a couple of days.

The fire extinguisher is approximately 15” long and the cannister is 3” in diameter.

Attached are some pictures that show the mounting bracket that was included. Anyone that buys one has to make the decision as to where best to put it. I assume that most people want it out of sight but also want it easily and quickly accessible in case of an emergency. So, I’ll need to do some experimenting to see where and how well it fits under the seat and whether or not I'll use the bracket.
Attachments
8400.jpg
IMG-8416.jpg
IMG-8418.jpg
Mark in Charlotte
CaptainDave
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by CaptainDave »

I've been grappling with this for years. I want to mount it so that it doesn't rattle around or become a projectile in a crash. But where? For quick accessibility, many sources recommend under the front passenger seat, but that works best with frame rail mounts on bucket seats, and I have a bench seat. HalGuard's 1.5 pound unit fits under the passenger side seat entirely. The 2.5 pound unit doesn't. Not sure if the 1.5 would be enough for such a big engine. Or if it would be easy enough to retrieve quickly in an emergency if it's just rolling around under the passenger seat. I'd want it to be unobtrusive enough to pass LCOC judging standards, too. Looking for an elegant solution.
'66 convertible "The Blue Lagoon"
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

As I said before, I would get the largest one you can fit. It takes a few seconds to focus in on the target, and you don't want it to run out just as you get there. A fire is a panic situation, no matter how much you try to stay calm, so give yourself the time you will need.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by mge825y »

I never did mount mine. Just couldn’t figure out how to make it work and be quickly accessible. Mine is in the back floorboard, half tucked under the drivers side of the bench seat. It’s hasn’t moved one inch since I laid it there.
Mark in Charlotte

Return to “Miscellaneous Lincoln-related Discussion”