Ammo NYC detailing of a Continental stored since 1995

If it is Lincoln-related and doesn't seem to fall in the other categories or you just can't figure out where to put it, put it here!

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, Continental69

Solid
Addicted to Lincolns

Ammo NYC detailing of a Continental stored since 1995

Post by Solid »

It's kind of cool to see him doing a super grungy Continental, especially polishing the single stage, which I haven't seen since the 80's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9utzQS ... b_imp_woyt

EDIT: Maybe this should be in the detailing channel.
tomo
Dedicated Enthusiast

Re: Ammo NYC detailing of a Continental stored since 1995

Post by tomo »

I would not like to take on that job. Even with a respirator, mouse droppings make me gag.

When I try to get older paint to look good, I use Meguiar's Show Car Glaze to clean the paint. It works wonders on single stage enamels and lacquers without being very abrasive. I did this on my 53 Lincoln and now you can see the metallic in the roof paint. It did not make the paint look like new because there were many small scratches from previous attempts to make it shine. When you get up close, you can see the scratches and swirl marks. The lighter bottom color was easier to bring back, using the same process.
Attachments
53-Lincoln-2014.jpg
after Show Car Glaze 2020
after Show Car Glaze 2020
Tom O'Donnell
Palatine, IL
1953 Capri Sport Coupe
Solid
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Solid »

Yeah the Ammo NYC guy was doing how to videos to do paint correction on exotics and then cars going to the major concours as real competitors etc, then was marketing his own products, and finally built the shop you see him use in the video to do customer cars and shoot more YouTube material, so he has a comfort level using abrasives and pads that is hard to earn without a car that can tolerate an oops. I have only done it a couple times, most recently to wet sand and then polish the area where touch up paint was used to fill a deep scratch on the car. It was so bad already that I just took my time working through the abrasives and then the polish with a random orbital polisher and didn't worry about it too much since it would've been a re-spray otherwise anyway.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I feel all that water and soap is just stuck between and behind everything without taking apart the interior.

On a humid day, that car is going to stink.
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

Dan Szwarc wrote:I feel all that water and soap is just stuck between and behind everything without taking apart the interior.

On a humid day, that car is going to stink.
no kidding. Unless they pulled the seats off camera that'll be another mess too. I've taken apart dashes cleaned like that before, it leaves coffee spill rings around everything.
Then again their video's are as much a big ad as they are for interest and really the ones I watch are mainly to see the cars they come across.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs
Solid
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Solid »

Mine was not in radically better shape when I got it - fewer carcasses and significantly worse paint, but that is about it. When we started cutting the perforations out of the passenger footwell with the plasma torch, it ignited some of the mouse nest material that had been crammed into the hollow there between body sections and we could see embers flying around inside. I am willing to bet there is another nest in the passenger side fresh air vent assembly on the car detailed in this video that will start falling out as soon as that vent is opened.

That said, the steamer doesn't shoot as much liquid as it appears, so there should not be a huge amount of liquid penetrating into the panel sections. I agree you'd have to pull the passenger seat if you needed to clean the carpet underneath where the power seat motor and transmission are located, though the rest should be reachable with the shampoo nozzle. The carpet under the rear seat barely extends over the shelf edge so there is not a lot there to absorb liquid even if you don't pull the seat bottom.

The newer videos are more of an advertisement for them as they clean up the latest janky old car they've pulled out, but I'm kind of sympathetic in that you can only do how to videos so many times. There are some really good earlier videos working through which tools, pads, compounds to use etc. While in this one he doesn't say much about the resprayed area he discovered, in some of his other videos he talks about and shows changes in tools and techniques for the paint correction as he runs across sections that have been repainted with mixed clear coat and single stage, or working on fiberglass gel coats etc.
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

First off, he really needs a cat in that building!
He got a cosmetic restoration, which is what he asked for. To preserve that car, the interior needs to be removed, all the nests found, and the metal sealed where the nests were, or they will keep rusting. All the sound deadener replaced, and the seats replaced, they are near end of use, and the wrong year anyway. That car appears well worth the effort.
Without question, there are nests behind the trunk lining, and under the rear seat. Both my conv.s had been stored indoors, I still found a small nest in the '62, but the outside stored parts cars are horrible. Those little b--t--d's get everywhere!
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.

Return to “Miscellaneous Lincoln-related Discussion”