Ten years ago this month...

If it is Lincoln-related and doesn't seem to fall in the other categories or you just can't figure out where to put it, put it here!

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, Continental69

Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: Ten years ago this month...

Post by Dan Szwarc »

They didn't need fancy new features because the majority of the people buying them didn't want them or know how to use them.
That describes about everybody over 70.

The Town Car died because its target market died. It could have evolved, but it didn't.
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

I don't want to wade too deep into this, but my 03 town car is basically junk. Granted it has lived its whole life in the rust belt of Maine, but many other things are wrong about it that shouldn't be...like a disappearing dash that lights up only when it wants to and a radio that is completely non functional. I also have a 97 GM in much better shape and dooded up much nicer than than town car from the interior appointments to the seats. Oh well, this is as far as I wade, but I don't think the 03 model came up with many improvements at all. I nearly went under the dashboard one morning when the airbag suspension blew out, one bag right after the other. I thought I had been shot. Wayne
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

So the Lincoln Town Car being gone form he show rooms of the nearest Lincoln Dealership only means you can get one that is just a little different

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/cto/ ... 95138.html

Kind of makes you wanna get one, doesn't it!?

Action
Attachments
00000_bHA2nEhs0ghz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
00C0C_8vjI3D7mL3az_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
00m0m_f4K2nzfHK7iz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

What the heck did they do to that? Wayne
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Same nonsense they've been doing to cars since the mid-'70s.

Perhaps that particular one could be saved, if one has the resources to refit it with a proper suspension.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
ContiFan
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by ContiFan »

Dan Szwarc wrote:That describes about everybody over 70.

The Town Car died because its target market died. It could have evolved, but it didn't.
As I recall, the average age of a retail Town Car buyer in 1990 was around 60, by 2000 it was near 70 and by the end of the Town Car's run it was mid-70s. I had no problem with the Town Car per se but I think keeping it around for as long as they did gave the brand too much of an "old man car company" image.

I don't know that anything could've been done to "save" the Town Car or make it more appealing to "younger" buyers. The Town Car's market just wasn't there anymore and even the overall market for sedans is way down these days.
ContiFan
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by ContiFan »

papawayne wrote:What the heck did they do to that?
In the 1990s, the Town Car was available in Executive Series, Signature Series, Cartier Series and.....Lowrider Series! :D
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

ContiFan wrote:
papawayne wrote:What the heck did they do to that?
In the 1990s, the Town Car was available in Executive Series, Signature Series, Cartier Series and.....Lowrider Series! :D
That's funny! I don't care what you drive that's funny.

I can imagine the TC brochure, showing the LR series .....

Shown with P195/70 R13 radial tires. The 7/16" white wall sets off the optional triple chromed 13" wire basket wheels. To getcha down n low!
Can be had in standard adjustable air bag system OR optional hydraulic systems with finger tip adjustable controls on the instrument mounted panel.
This allows the driver at command to set the height for show or for go.

Action.
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80

Return to “Miscellaneous Lincoln-related Discussion”