‘72 Mark iv

If it is Lincoln-related and doesn't seem to fall in the other categories or you just can't figure out where to put it, put it here!

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, Continental69

Goldstar
Lincoln Maniac

‘72 Mark iv

Post by Goldstar »

Haven’t been here regularly since I sold my ‘58 Continental convertible over 10 years ago but that will change since acquiring this ‘72 Mark. I’m the third owner, has 36k miles. Has to be shipped and I’ll take delivery in the next couple weeks.
Peter
Attachments
3534F436-C97F-4133-BD1E-4A6F9D1C8672.jpeg
action
LCOC Regional Director

Re: ‘72 Mark iv

Post by action »

Looks pretty nice

Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
Goldstar
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Goldstar »

Thanks! I hope the car off the truck is the same as in the pic! Only a couple things I’ll want to address right away, 1) the driver side arm rest needs to be replaced, and 2) the passenger side window hums but is otherwise dead. Any advice on either of these is most appreciated.
More pics when she arrives
Peter
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

Hums!!

What if you like the tune? :)

Action
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

My favorite of all the Marks.
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

A very nice car. We've got a black one right here in the neighborhood. I like it because it lacks the extended lower jaw that all 73's had to have. Wayne
Goldstar
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Goldstar »

Thank you. I like all Marks but ‘72s do stand out for the full grill, full vinyl top and big engine. Can’t wait to get my hands on it.
Peter
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

That is really nice. The '72 Mark IV is one long-time favorite of mine; I always liked its lines.

So, now...this "hum" from the passenger-side window. I presume you mean the big main window and not the quarter-panel one, right? Is this hum constant, or only when you operate one (or both) of the switches? I would say that the audible hum tells you the motor is operating as it should; but if it runs and the glass does not, that tells you the gear head in the motor has toasted itself. Now, that established, you have two options available to you: (1) Repair the gear, or (2) replace it outright. The gear head is a separately-replaceable piece from the motor, so don't waste money on a motor. Because of the design of the gear head, you can buy brand-new nylon dowels (the cause of the problem) at your local parts store and install them; you'll find them in the HELP! section. They are spacers which are designed to cushion the mechanism by absorbing all the stress of the operation of the mechanism...but because they're nylon, they will break up eventually just with age, to say nothing of use. Or, if you would prefer never to deal with crumbling dowels again, you can buy an outright replacement gear from Auveco, which is designed to fit into your motor straight-up but has a different core design which is superior to anything Ford ever came up with. Granted, the dowel replacement will be cheaper and quicker; the Auveco swap is much more long-term, however, as that redesigned gear will likely outlast your window motor.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Goldstar
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Goldstar »

Wow, thanks very much Tony. I’m going to wait until the car gets here before digging any further into this, and probably shift the dialog over to “interiors” section. Great info, thanks again
Peter
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

If the window(s) do(es) not work it could be because the the plastic behind the gear has crumbled.
Those were placed in there as a safety feature of sorts and a cushion should the window encounter a more solid obstruction.

As stated above the plastic gets old and comes apart. Pictured is a Ford repair kit.

The other thing that happens in 30 to 40 + year old vehicles is the window tracks and regulators develop more and more resistance due to old grease. The grease used from the factory to lubrication the regulator, guides and tracks gets hard and/or attracts dirt over the years. Thus the window operation slows down. And the electrical wiring has more resistance to over come to get power to the window motor. If there is enough power to the motor and the window mechanism is gummed up the motor will destroy it's self for the service. The weak link is the plastic under the gear or the gear.

If the damage has not occurred, a good cleaning of al of the tracks, guides and the regulator can restore smoother operation. Plus re-lubrication of the same. The current market of lubricants are far superior than what was available back in the 1960s & 70s

And your plan of getting the car first and removing the door panel to inspect is a good one. Getting a factory set of 5 shop manual will help with the disassembly for that inspection. No sense in breaking something different and having two repairs.

Action
Attachments
s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600.jpg
Goldstar
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Goldstar »

Man, this is great, certainly talking to the right guys. Thanks so much, I feel pretty confident that I can tackle this issue when the car arrives. The other issue is finding a replacement driver arm rest. I’ve read both that the way to go is to buy a repro and paint it (expensive), others found problems with the repro suggesting finding an original is best. Any advise?
Thank you, Action, very much for the great info.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Where the arm rest is concerned, it depends on the condition of the original. Is it just damaged, or missing? If it's just loose on the door panel, it might be possible to cobble up a hidden reinforcement to it. If it's missing or too far wrecked to reinforce, it will likely be best to find a good one from an organ donor, if there is a junkyard that happens to have any. It all depends on where you are; I know a salvage yard in Seguin, TX, that specializes in old cats and has a bunch of '60s and early-'70s Lincolns.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Goldstar
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Goldstar »

It’s cracked in several places that I can see in pictures. I might be able to glue it back together but the long term solution is to replace it. I’ll know for sure when it arrives, hopefully in the next week or so.
Thanks Tony
Peter

Return to “Miscellaneous Lincoln-related Discussion”