Pursuing a '77

If it is Lincoln-related and doesn't seem to fall in the other categories or you just can't figure out where to put it, put it here!

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, Continental69

TonyC
TLFer for Life

Re: Pursuing a '77

Post by TonyC »

No doubt about it! I have thought about it, I won't lie. It would be an easy job to get a stock cassette player into that dash, make it an even better car than it was. And I even like the color, even if it was a fairly common color for that year. But the thing that concerns me would be how much they'd want. Granted, it looks worth an easy $5Gs, but my income is limited; I don't believe I can handle a buy and a repair at the same time, and Frankenstein has priority.

If I lucked out and they asked for only $5Cs, I would do it...but I know the days of such steal-bargains are long past. However, I could just ask nonchalantly about it...when it's not too hot to take a walk there.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

Asking is free with little to no risk
Accepting is a different matter all together

Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

The answer is always no if you don't ask. Depending on what is wrong with it, it's probably a hell of a lot cheaper to get running reliably than an engine rebuild on a '66.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

It doesn't look like it would be overly expensive the way its sitting there but May be its someone else's project. That they might have picked up for a great price...
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

I would be deterred simply because it's a '79, which could only have the 400 in it.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

I agree with Nick's point; the 400 was so woefully inefficient, it makes even the '49 Lincoln engine appear better. If anything that engine would make that car no more than local town conveyance, anything other than open highways. Yes, when it was made there was a ridiculously low speed-limit mandate which it could handle...but try to push that engine today to sustained 70-mph travel, or higher? I don't think so.

Plus, I've seen crash-test footage for both years. I think I'd feel more secure in Frankenstein. Sure is a pretty car, though; I hope it at least goes to a good, caring owner if it is in fact for sale.

Sorry, now I see myself trying to stop me from checking into it, finding excuses. It's no big deal just to ask. But I still need to wait for when it's not so hot outside.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)

Return to “Miscellaneous Lincoln-related Discussion”