Hello!

If it is Lincoln-related and doesn't seem to fall in the other categories or you just can't figure out where to put it, put it here!

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, Continental69

Lincolnlovers
Occasional Visitor

Re: Hello!

Post by Lincolnlovers »

Thank you, TonyC! I read your similar comment on another post here, but I'm glad I can reference it here. These are definitely the things I need to know about, so again, thank you, the info is greatly appreciated!
Lincolnlovers
Occasional Visitor

Post by Lincolnlovers »

jtheye wrote: This may be the best advise you have ever received when it comes to your Lincoln. DO NOT make the mistake that I have made! I wish I would have spent the money to take/ship my Lincoln to one of the many Lincoln "specialty" shops located in the US. Education costs, so don't pay for a mechanic to learn about your Lincoln. These are a specialty vehicle that takes a specialty mechanic. I warn you to find the nearest Classic Lincoln Continental shop and take your car there for any major repairs. Either that, or do it yourself so that the $ you spend is to educate yourself and not some mechanic not familiar with this generation of Continentals. Trust me, I have been paying for a mechanic's education for the last 4 years.
Jtheye, I am definitely open to suggestions as to Lincoln specialized mechanics. Even better if they're in the Oklahoma area. Thanks for the heads up, and sorry you're having to deal with the headache of uneducated mechanics.
rick
Lincoln Maniac

Post by rick »

Wow, what a nice car! You folks chanced upon a good one. Welcome to the Forum. Love Montrose because I'm a railroad history buff.

Best of luck with her. I think you'll enjoy Nathan Wilson's YouTube videos. Here's pt one on power seats https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87Impt1Xn5s

Cheers

Rick
1961 Lincoln sedan
2011 Lincoln Navigator
2015 Lincoln Navigator
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

I just noticed that your car has a vanity plate on the dash, with the original owner's name. That's cool! Those plates are not the most common things to find on these cars. I've always loved the original compass design, and I especially loved the ones they used on these plates, which are just the perfect size to fit on a Zippo lighter.

I know, you must be re-reading that last line with a WTF did I just read?? :o Yes, I admit I have done that; years ago I cannibalized a couple of plates from organ donors for the stars to fit on a Zippo lighter. One I lost a long time ago; the other is still on my Zippo, which is one of my prized possessions. Of course, this was at the time before 3D printers were invented, so making replacements just got a bit easier (although more expensive, considering what 3D printers that work with metal cost now). One day, I'll have to get my mitts on a metal-work 3D printer.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Lincolnlovers
Occasional Visitor

Post by Lincolnlovers »

rick wrote:Wow, what a nice car! You folks chanced upon a good one. Welcome to the Forum. Love Montrose because I'm a railroad history buff.

Best of luck with her. I think you'll enjoy Nathan Wilson's YouTube videos. Here's pt one on power seats https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87Impt1Xn5s

Cheers

Rick
Thanks for the Welcome, Rick! I too am into Trains, specifically Steam locomotives. That area is ripe with old railroad history, especially with the D&RG running between Durango and Silverton. Have you ever been to Morrow point, about 15 miles east of Montrose? There's an old, restored Locomotive, tender, and caboose, sitting on a trestle, there, on what used to be the railroad that ran through the black canyon. I am also an avid fly fisherman, and that is one of my favorite places to go!
Thanks for the heads up on the power seat video. I will definitely check it out.
Attachments
IMG_20200725_103622474_HDR_compress62.jpg
Lincolnlovers
Occasional Visitor

Post by Lincolnlovers »

TonyC wrote:I just noticed that your car has a vanity plate on the dash, with the original owner's name. That's cool! Those plates are not the most common things to find on these cars.

---Tony
Yah! I was wondering about that. Nobody said anything about it, so I was wondering if it didn't get noticed or it was just a common thing. Thank you for mentioning it! While I love a clean dash, and would love to remove it, I think we want to keep it on there. The old lady who owned it, obviously loved and cared for this car. It's already gone on quite a journey in the few months we've owned it, from Colorado, to Arizona, and on to Oklahoma. It's kinda nice to feel like she's still a part of the car as we continue it's story. Anyway, I was really curious about the plaque. How common were they? Did every new owner get one? Etc.
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

As a former conductor, my first thought was "Man, that's a short caboose". Maybe it's just the angle, but I don't think so, perhaps a day caboose, with no bunks? Be interesting to see inside.
There is a thread somewhere about those plaques, I stumbled upon it once.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Those plaques were not that common, actually. It was a really neat offering the dealers had back then, along with the tabletop star mounted on a wood or marble base...but from my own observations I'd say I saw one plaque in every 8 to 10 cars I've seen, on the roads or in junkyards. It just wasn't something that everyone wanted to have on their own cars; even my grand didn't get one for hers. So yes, that is a pretty rare adornment for yours.

I seem to remember that one of the vets here had posted that he managed to reproduce those plaques and offered them for sale. That was a while ago. I don't know if he still makes any, but it looks like not too many Forum members took him up on his offer...including me, unfortunately. :neutral: At the time I didn't have cash to spare to have one made, but I would have if I had the resources then. I'm sure that's something I'd risk going through once I realize my dream of reproducing the starboard-side mirrors for '66—9 cars, even with the design flaw engineered out...but I do still want to make that happen, if at least to prove to myself that it can be done.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
LC67Vert
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by LC67Vert »

Welcome to the club. You will get a ton of great advice here. That is a nice '65 you have. Enjoy it!

Name plaques were common on Lincolns in the '60s and I found them interesting as a youngster. In late '64 my father and grandfather went to the dealer together and each bought new '65 Lincoln sedans, my grandparents in Huron blue with blue leather and my parents gold with a black vinyl top and gold leather interior. Each car had a name plaque and I was just old enough at the time to read and understand the plaque. I thought they were really cool then and still do today. Each car also came with a Lincoln star mounted on a marble base that I coveted as a child and one of which I still have today although the cars are long gone. The fate of the cars...

My mother was an excellent driver and the only accident I can remember was when she totaled the gold '65 sedan in '68. I ended up with the blue '65 sedan when my grandmother grew too old to drive in '83. I kept the '65 and enjoyed driving it but I always wanted a convertible. In '87 I found a '67 convertible that was shabby but solid. I ended up selling the '65 sedan to a friend to raise money towards restoring the '67 convertible. It was spring and I turned the '67 into a reliable driver within several weeks of buying it in time for many fun memorable trips during the summer including driving my parents around with the top down. Ten years later I tended to the replacement of the interior along with bodywork and paint and I have been enjoying taking the car for top down driving every summer ever since.
Jeff
1967 Lincoln Continental Convertible

Return to “Miscellaneous Lincoln-related Discussion”