Tip for Plastic repair, cracked, broken, missing pieces

If it is Lincoln-related and doesn't seem to fall in the other categories or you just can't figure out where to put it, put it here!

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, Continental69

Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Tip for Plastic repair, cracked, broken, missing pieces

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Several years ago, when Gorilla Glue was new to the market, and my friend, Doug, bought it, it came with this so-called "crack filler" powder that I laughed at.

Well, this particular Gorilla Glue was your typical cyanoacrylate (CA or superglue) formula and I learned the powder was nothing more than baking soda. Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate or NaHCO3.

When superglue and baking soda are combined, you get a super strong polymer that turns into something as hard and strong as cement. It's a plastic. It has the strength of bakelite or better. The conversion is instantaneous.

So, I'm repairing the instrument cluster of my 70 Mercury using this method, reinforcing ribs, mounting points, cracked tabs, rebuilding areas, etc. and it is amazing. It's a messy process. Powder gets everywhere. But the results are great.

I'll post pics sometime. In the meantime, watch this video demonstrating it. Watch on mute, or 1.5x or 2x.

[youtubes]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq5YJbZXaZk[/youtubes]

In our world, superglue SELDOM works.
rick
Lincoln Maniac

Re: Tip for Plastic repair, cracked, broken, missing pieces

Post by rick »

Very cool. Had no idea

Rick
1961 Lincoln sedan
2011 Lincoln Navigator
2015 Lincoln Navigator
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Here's some pics. Pretty self explanatory.
Attachments
IMG_0736.jpeg
IMG_0525.jpeg
IMG_0527.jpeg
IMG_0733.jpeg
IMG_0734.jpeg
IMG_0521D.jpeg
mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by mge825y »

Dan – I recently discovered this and it does work.

I was working on my daily driver and had to remove a piece of interior trim to work on something else. In the process, I broke off a mounting tab. I was in a jam because I needed to use the truck the next day. So, was desperate and willing to try anything. I found this blog on the internet about using super glue and backing soda. I had baking soda and super glue, so I tried it and it worked.

I’m a believer!
Attachments
1.JPG
2.jpg
3.JPG
4.jpg
Mark in Charlotte
1963 Lincoln Continental convertible
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Next up: 60s armrest repair!
defrang
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by defrang »

Impressive. Thanks, Dan.
Robert DeFrang
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

I have a question about this, something I think I got an answer to recently, but I think it would be nice to have that answer posted here. How does the super-glue/baking-soda method work on, say, pot-metal? Some pot-metal trim items on Frankenstein, not the least of which being the starboard-side mirror, have breaks that occasionally need repeated repairs, which I've previously addressed with super-glue only. Will the addition of baking soda to super-glue have the same effect on pot-metal that it does with plastic? I want to say yes, based on what I've recently been told; but I'd like to see the answer here.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

You’d have to run a test to see if the superglue sticks enough to the pot metal. And I do not know the max temp of the superglue/baking soda polymer.

I know it laughs at my files when I use too much. A dremel or grinder is needed for shaping.
jtheye
Frequent Contributor

Post by jtheye »

I too am going to eventually try this on the grille dog ear that is broke off my 64. I know I have the piece I just am not finding it yet. I ordered the half I need off of eBay and got notice the seller cancelled the sale. Not sure why. Oh well. Gotta find that piece!?!?!?!?
Whatdidijustgetinto?
1964 Rezinental Sedan
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Oh, man...I hate when that happens! :smt011 You did at least get refunded, I trust...?

I do want to try that trick on the mirror base the next time it breaks; I have enough of the two ingredients. Another thing that came to mind, which Dan mentioned: The arm rests, especially the driver's arm rest, which has suffered the most fatigue of the four. When the deep freeze passes over, I ought to try it out on that arm rest.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)

Return to “Miscellaneous Lincoln-related Discussion”