Heavy cars

If it is Lincoln-related and doesn't seem to fall in the other categories or you just can't figure out where to put it, put it here!

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, Continental69

stevedrums
Frequent Contributor

Re: Heavy cars

Post by stevedrums »

i'm thinking the 1300lbs is on par with what a Tesla battery + motor setup would weigh. the distribution of the weight would be different tho
1961 Sedan
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Fraser has a point; I too suspect that they will hike the prices, partially to cover the cost of strip-mining all the minerals to make those batteries while still trying to increase the profit margin. And when commoners begin to realize that battery replacement is far beyond their means (unless they had a rich aunt who spelled their name correctly in her will), I'm pretty sure they will wonder if there was a better way to do things. A friend of mine had to replace the battery pack in her Prius just a year or two ago (keep in mind that this car of hers was no more than three years old at the time she bought it)...and the dealer quoted a $5,000 bill to do it! That was to install a new battery pack. They gave her another option, a used but still usable pack for $1,400. Sure, that worked better for her, but still—having to pay for a battery the same amount I paid for a total transmission rebuild??

As that cone-headed droid in Star Wars IX said, "No, thank you. No, thank you."

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs
stevedrums
Frequent Contributor

Post by stevedrums »

so he bought an old 1st gen all-electric vehicle and is complaining about the range and lack of support. ok. :lol:
1961 Sedan
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

Brings to mind all the cordless drills I've thrown out because the replacement battery cost's more than a new drill. I see an F150 in the background, so at least he has something that's reliable.
Perhaps he should tow a trailer, with a big, diesel generator, and a cord running back to the car!
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

stevedrums wrote:
so he bought an old 1st gen all-electric vehicle and is complaining about the range and lack of support. ok. :lol:
I'm sure most people would complain if their 7 year old car had problems like that.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

May be the costs are stretched out.

My 15 year old Lincoln has not had that kind of expense.
Just routine maintenance.
But fluids, filters and spark plus add up over time. May be not $5000 worth I don't think. And labor is free from the crew of three. Me, myself and I.

Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
JimA
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by JimA »

It's hard to find a factual, unbiased discussion of the pros and cons of EVs because it's hard to find an unbiased expert. Seems like most are motivated by their own profit, power, prestige, self-virtue, etc. And, what is an advantage for owners, e.g., purchase incentives, tax avoidance, can be a disadvantage to non-owners. But, I liked the Wiki article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_ ... ges_of_EVs
1978 Continental Coupe
521 Stroker -- SOLD :-(
ContiFan
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by ContiFan »

TonyC wrote:Fraser has a point; I too suspect that they will hike the prices, partially to cover the cost of strip-mining all the minerals to make those batteries while still trying to increase the profit margin. And when commoners begin to realize that battery replacement is far beyond their means (unless they had a rich aunt who spelled their name correctly in her will), I'm pretty sure they will wonder if there was a better way to do things. A friend of mine had to replace the battery pack in her Prius just a year or two ago (keep in mind that this car of hers was no more than three years old at the time she bought it)...and the dealer quoted a $5,000 bill to do it! That was to install a new battery pack. They gave her another option, a used but still usable pack for $1,400. Sure, that worked better for her, but still—having to pay for a battery the same amount I paid for a total transmission rebuild??
Battery pack prices have actually dropped rather significantly over the last ten years or so. The decline is starting to level off a bit but some are predicting they will be under $60 per kWh by 2030.
ContiFan
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by ContiFan »

I don't know how many total miles the car has but 33% battery degradation is more than it should be.

Some of the (potential) battery replacement cost is factored into the depreciation of these EVs. The 2013 Leaf was comparable in size to a Nissan Versa but cost a lot more even after the tax credit yet as used cars they are worth about the same.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Stay on topic, please. Or start an EV thread in the non-Lincoln Automotive discussion area. I’d be happy to banter there.

Edit: I'm an idiot. I forgot about the Misc. Automotive Discussion sub-forum.

I went into the War Room and it is a disgusting mess. I'm embarrassed I let it exist. I'm going to deactivate it.
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

Is that what he war room is called now? I've never been in either...Wayne
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Oh yeah. The War Room. I forgot I named it that because to many people became insulting jerks during non-Lincoln conversations.

There’s little traffic on the entire forum nowadays. Facebook is where many are and with so many people using mobile and tablets, I think the forum registration process is broken for them. I need to do a software update and have no time or motivation to do so.
rick
Lincoln Maniac

Post by rick »

Well, Dan. It would be pretty tough if this Forum wasn't here. I like it fine the way it is. Appreciate it and all the work you've done over the years. In my view, anyone needing this Forum will find it. Every once in a while when chatting with a car fan, I realize just how much I've learned about my car in such a short period of time and it's mostly because of this site.
1961 Lincoln sedan
2011 Lincoln Navigator
2015 Lincoln Navigator
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Actually, the War Room became a “request only” forum, that’s how bad it got. Most people can’t see it even exists.

Now, I’m off topic!

Return to “Miscellaneous Lincoln-related Discussion”