1982 vs. 2020 Continental - The more things change...

If it is Lincoln-related and doesn't seem to fall in the other categories or you just can't figure out where to put it, put it here!

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, Continental69

ContiFan
Addicted to Lincolns

1982 vs. 2020 Continental - The more things change...

Post by ContiFan »

...the more they stay the same.

1982 and 2020 Lincoln Continental lease offers. 38 years apart, yet look at the payments!
82Contilease.jpg
20Contilease.jpg
20Contilease.jpg (35.4 KiB) Viewed 1130 times
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Re: 1982 vs. 2020 Continental - The more things change...

Post by TonyC »

Wow—hardly any change in the numbers...and when you factor in the inflationary differences in the dollar between 1982 and 2020, you end up paying proportionally less now than in '82.

Of course, for me, it's a moot point. Having been the victim of car leases, I have no desire to fall into that trap again. Leases work for apartments, not cars, not even when that car happens to be many levels nicer than a '96 Jetta. Also, I suspect that the advertised figures are likely the best figures available, adjustable at the dealer's discretion based on the customer's credit history (the advertised figures applicable only to those with credit history better than God).

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

I had an 1985 Continental that I cherished.
I sold it and bought the mark VIII shown below.
Wished I kept the '85. But my bride might have put me in a hospital if I did.

As to credit and God. I would guess God pays cash.
For the rest of us a Red Carpet lease payment is not that difficult to obtain.
About 60% of the US population would have good enough credit as defined by Experian.
(Credit and credit history is part of my employment world)

Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
ContiFan
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by ContiFan »

TonyC wrote:Wow—hardly any change in the numbers...and when you factor in the inflationary differences in the dollar between 1982 and 2020, you end up paying proportionally less now than in '82.
Quite a bit less today. Adjusting for inflation, the 1982 Continental numbers would be around $1,330/month with $2,795 due at signing. One reason for the high monthly payment in 1982 was the interest rates of the time.
ContiFan
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by ContiFan »

action wrote: Wished I kept the '85. But my bride might have put me in a hospital if I did.
She didn't like the '85?
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

ContiFan wrote:
action wrote: Wished I kept the '85. But my bride might have put me in a hospital if I did.
She didn't like the '85?
It is not that she didn't like any car. Although she really thinks all Lincolns are for old men. (I guess when we got married I wasn't old)

But the issue is quantity. Too many vehicles.
And in my opinion, I could use one more. In fact I have a custom Tee Shirt that says, how about one more car?

Action
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

I'm guessing that, considering that you have four of those "Old Man" cars now, she must have changed her mind and mellowed out over the years. I have to admit, I really liked the '82 Continental my grand had been convinced into buying, despite the piss-poor fuel system that was at the heart of the car's problems (not to mention the even greater piss-poor treatments that Ford and Lincoln dealers in the local area gave us regarding repairs!). To this day I still hate myself for caving to my ex's pressure to give up the Man-Of-War (the '67, which I worked so hard into reviving for regular use when my grand was finally forced to sell off the '82), so I can relate directly to your lamentations. Yes, I do have Frankenstein to make up for it, and nobody will ever convince me to get rid of him for any reason.

If my above guess is correct, you think you may be able to get away with hunting for and getting another '85 humpback? If not, I'll gladly tell her that her mentality is way wrong. Old men drive new Lincolns. The young at heart drive older Lincolns.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

TonyC wrote: I'm guessing that, considering that you have four of those "Old Man" cars now, she must have changed her mind and mellowed out over the years.
That is incorrect.
I am at 4 in my signature line for two reasons. The Mercury is an orphan. And non-Lincolns are not listed.
I also have a 71 LTD convertible with a 429 that isn't in my signature line
And a van that needs to be sold but have not done that yet
The non-counter classic for my wife is the Mark III which is in Michigan. So she doesn't care because it isn't here.

She knows little about cars other than color and generally what it looks like. Big ride means old dude.
If I collected pony cars that might be different. But I doubt it.

Action
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Unfortunately, that is the consensus of women in general in our society these days; they aren't supposed to appreciate any specific cars, only those that are useful to them and only so long as they are useful. It's like it's considered "taboo" for a woman to be a gearhead.

But the '85 Continental is anything but a big car (sluggish, yes, but what car of the '80s wasn't?), so you have that argument, at least.

---Tony
"Question Authority!"

action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

action wrote:
She knows little about cars other than color and generally what it looks like. Big ride means old dude.
If I collected pony cars that might be different. But I doubt it.

Action
As a post script, the neighbor across the street got a classic yesterday. I saw a car trailer in the street and asked her what was going on? (She works from home because of COVID) She said the neighbor got some classic car delivered and it is in the garage.

This morning he rolled the ride out the garage door to wash it off from the trip it made on the trailer.
It was a very nice 1969 Mustang GT coupe. I didn't get close enough as I was in a hurry to go to work and it has little in the way of mufflers. It was rather loud!

I asked her what happened to the Dodge. She said, "Whoops! I guess that was bad wasn't it!"
I shook my head

Action
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

That's interesting! :? I've never been much into Mustangs or any of the cars like it, mainly because they are so overrated. But, because of certain developments in my family life that occurred over the past year, I am working on being more lenient to the Mustang. My mother has a 2006 GT 'vert that my late stepfather bought new, which she can't drive anymore, and which she said she will be leaving to me in her will. Naturally, whenever I do take possession of it, I'll have to treat it like an adopted child. The problem is that, since she never drives it nor even fires it up, I can only imagine the ordeal it will be to revive it; in fact, last Christmas when I visited, the car had been in the garage so long that the battery had gone flat, and she hasn't had anything done to fix that. God only knows how varnished-up the fuel in the car is by now.

But, because it is family, I will have to care for it. At least Tom (my late stepfather) can rest easy knowing that.

---Tony
"Question Authority!"

action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

Vehicles that sit develop lot rot. Especially if it was parking with zero prep for a long period of disuse.

Storing with fresh engine oil goes a long way.
In areas with high humidity, filling the gas tank keeps moisture from condensing inside the tank.
Disconnecting the battery would be better than leaving it connected. Even if it is dead.
A good cleaning helps to keep organic material from decaying in the interior.
Car cover even while it sits inside
Even wiping down weather strips with conditioner and cleaning things can help.

Action

Return to “Miscellaneous Lincoln-related Discussion”