Sunday Drive

If it is Lincoln-related and doesn't seem to fall in the other categories or you just can't figure out where to put it, put it here!

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, Continental69

Sunday Drive

Postby rick » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:13 pm

Lincoln by canal.JPG
This is a swing bridge over the Rideau Canal
At the risk of having too much to say or posting too often, I am enjoying being able to hop in this '61 Lincoln and just head out. It's been definitely worth all the work done during the past year and three quarters, for sure. Today I spent part of the afternoon on a mini-road trip that included a few small towns and some country side in between. Stopped for a coffee and a little later an ice cream cone. It was pretty tough to beat - let me tell you. Now getting cooler up here in Canada and so I turned on the heat.... and it works!..... amazing!! :)
Attachments
'61 Lincoln.JPG
In Merrickville which has great ice cream
1961 Lincoln sedan
2011 Lincoln Navigator
rick
Lincoln Maniac

Re: Sunday Drive

Postby papawayne » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:38 am

enjoy, it Rick, that's what its all about! Wayne
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Postby TonyC » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:34 pm

Aw, there's no such thing as posting too much if you're posting about your very-distinguished motorcar. :wink: Now, there is something you did not mention: Just how many pairs of eyes did you draw to you on that drive?

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Postby rick » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:44 am

Another week-end / another drive. Yesterday my wife and I filled the gas tank before leaving town and drove down to Kingston (70 miles) via back roads (lake country) to visit my oldest daughter's family and grandchildren.

By the time we were three quarters of the way home (night-time) the gas gauge was reading just below a quarter. I thought I was probably okay and cruised merrily past a gas station only to notice a few minutes later when I glanced down at the gauge it was now sitting "below empty."

So I pulled a U turn and drove back to the gas station and it took 14.5 gallons.

When I drove away from the gas station the gauge didn't move and it was at that point that I realized the gas gauge had picked that particular moment to fail. It fooled me, but since that tank only holds 17.5 Canadian gallons I guess, better safe than sorry. So, all together it worked out to 137 miles for the day, most of it a fifty to sixty mph............. and yes, I'm beginning to get a handle on the what ten miles to the gallon looks like. :) :)

Pictured is a pit stop for 2 coffee's-to-go from a Burger King
Attachments
coffee-to-go.JPG
1961 Lincoln sedan
2011 Lincoln Navigator
rick
Lincoln Maniac

Postby Classiccannuk » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:30 pm

Great pic's Rick
Classiccannuk
Lincoln Maniac

Postby papawayne » Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:04 am

Rick, you must be pretty good at converting litres to gallons! I've never been able to do that with much success. I was in a hardware store in N.B. some time back and saw a gallon of paint. It wasn't labeled as a gallon, though. I think 3,75 Litres. So that's got to be the fanciest Burger King I've ever seen! Wayne
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Postby rick » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:30 pm

Well, it was Sunday again. Only I believe this was probably the final Sunday cruise for 2020 - as the weather forecast for the next ten days is ugly.

So I filled up the gas tank before we left (I've already learned that lesson) and for all you google-maps people - we rolled out of Smiths Falls in style, stopped in Merrickville for 45 minutes of shopping before continuing on to Brockville via North Augusta. In Brockville we picked up two coffees-to-go at the local Tim Hortons and cruised back north again through Greenbush and Rock Springs (where my wife snapped the accompanying photo) then on to Jasper where we turned left and headed the 6 miles home to Smiths Falls.

My local repair shop suggested I give the car to them for the winter so they can do the transmission, driveshaft and differential in one swoop. I'm giving myself 12 hours to decide.
Attachments
Rock Springs.jpeg
Rock Springs Photo Op
1961 Lincoln sedan
2011 Lincoln Navigator
rick
Lincoln Maniac

Postby defrang » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:57 am

Nice car. Winter work makes spring thru fall driving much better.
Robert DeFrang
1965 Lincoln Continental Convertible
defrang
Addicted to Lincolns

Return to Miscellaneous Lincoln-related Discussion