1976 Lincoln Mark IV Targa Top conversion by Solaris

If it is Lincoln-related and doesn't seem to fall in the other categories or you just can't figure out where to put it, put it here!

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, Continental69

1976 Lincoln Mark IV Targa Top conversion by Solaris

Postby kdtbird » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:41 pm

Has anyone heard of a Solaris conversion? I purchased inquiry information on Ebay and it is very interesting. The letter is from Gru-con Coachbuilders in Glenville illinois. It reads:

Dear Mr. Peck:

Thank you for your inquiry. The price of the
conversion is $5800.00 F.O.B. Glenview, Illinois.
The time of conversion is six to eight weeks.
The brochures are self-explanatory.

Should you have any further questions, please
contact me at your convenience.

Sincerely,
Paul Gruenberg
President

I have the 3 small fold out brochures and it actually looks pretty cool. At least 2 were built because 2 appear in one picture. Has anyone seen or heard of the Solaris conversion? I have found nothing about Gru-Con Coachbuilders on the internet.
The letter was post marked Feb 27, 1976 and addressed to Mr. R. Peck, 1617 Faseo El Mirador, Palm Springs, Calif. 92262
kdtbird
Occasional Visitor

Re: 1976 Lincoln Mark IV Targa Top conversion by Solaris

Postby action » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:11 pm

Over the years especially in the late 1960s to early 1980s there were a boat load of companies that would do custom body work.
Especially after the feds made roll over laws that car manufactures could not meet when building a convertible.

During that time period the feds had passed CAFE laws, bumper safety laws and emission laws. To meet those standards car manufactures had to divert dollars for design and engineering that would have gone into vehicle body designs. Throw in a couple of fuel shortages which slowed new car buying and the beginning of high interest rates in the late 70s into the mid to late 1980s and it was a market mess for auto builders. So the lack of cash allowed niche vehicle customizers to slide under the laws and capture some market share for the consumer demand that was not met by the big three.

I am glad I do not have to re-live the market forces of the 70's.

Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
action
LCOC Regional Director

Re: 1976 Lincoln Mark IV Targa Top conversion by Solaris

Postby DavidinHartford » Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:03 am

Can you post the photos?
DavidinHartford

Return to Miscellaneous Lincoln-related Discussion