Seeking Opinions on What Parts to Stockpile

If it is Lincoln-related and doesn't seem to fall in the other categories or you just can't figure out where to put it, put it here!

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, Continental69

Seeking Opinions on What Parts to Stockpile

Postby audioresearch » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:21 am

Do you think I should stockpile any of the following parts for my 78 Mark V or 83 Mercury LN7 (similar to Ford EXP) because they may disappear or have their prices skyrocket to absurd levels or become extremely difficult to find for sale:

tires(especially the large 15" tires that the Lincoln uses), alternators, exhaust(including pipes/mufflers/brackets & hangars), batteries, bearings that are inside the rear differential (other than wheel bearings which I have already stockpiled), pinion seals, front & rear transmission seals, driveshaft u-joints, torque converter, starter motor, starter solenoid, voltage regulator, high current cables such as for the battery or starter motor, control arms, shocks/struts, calipers/rotors/brake pads/wheel brake hoses, brake master cylinder, brake proportioning valve, radiators, heater core, wiper blades(especially the large ones for the Mark V), headlights, fan clutch, parking brake cables or any other part I may have failed to list that you think I should stockpile?

I've already stockpiled all the glass, the entire interior including instrument panel and all its contents including electronic modules, all the body sheetmetal and moldings and ornaments/emblems, almost the entire steering/brake/suspension/cooling systems, all the power steering brake items including hoses, everything inside the trunk, and have already rebuilt the 460 engine & C6 transmission.

What parts, if any, should I stockpile for the automatic transmission in the 83 Mercury LN7 including but not limited to: bearings, bushings, bands, band servos, front pump, torque converter, seals, gaskets, filter screen, plastic gear that drives the speedometer cable, etc? In your experience, which transmission parts, if any, go bad other than seals/gaskets ?

If I decide to stockpile an alternator, do you know of any reason such as proper fit, overloading electrical system that possibly was not designed to handle it, etc, why I could not stockpile the 90 amp alternator even if perhaps the original alternator was only a 60 amp? I think all the alternators are the same size & will fit and have all the same electrical connections too and that there was only one set of electrical harnesses used in all the Mark Vs so that going from perhaps 60 amps to 90 amps should not overheat any wiring, but I do not know this for sure. Do you? Any chance a replacement alternator's shaft would not fit the pulleys on my present alternator or are all the shafts usually the same too? Any other alternator "gotchas" I should watch out for? Is there some way I can find out how many amps my car's original alternator was good for?

I expect to be using my cars for about another 23 years and assume I'll put 100,000 miles on each car during that time.

In my experience of about 60 years with cars, rear differentials have never given problems other than wheel bearings and leaking pinion seals. Have you had the same experience?

I may have asked these questions or similar in the past, but I'd like to get opinions that are current in case things have changed.

Thanks for any and all opinions and advice.
Last edited by audioresearch on Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
audioresearch
Frequent Contributor

Re: Seeking Opinions on What Parts to Stockpile

Postby LithiumCobalt » Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:27 pm

In my experience, it's gotten easier to find things for the 1961-1969 Continentals because there seems to be a lot more aftermarket support. Problem is, it's still hard to find factory-correct parts. Most of the activity seems to be driven by resto-mods, so that is where the vendors cater. There have been some welcome additions of correct reproduction parts, but who knows how long it will be before those also stop being produced. Most of the stuff that was hard to find, continues to be hard to find. Just about anything related to the 430 and 462 engine is also becoming scarce. The 460 has a lot more parts support. 60's Lincolns, in general, are just difficult because they are odd-ball. Almost nothing interchanges with any other car.

So, to answer your question, if you can get parts cheap and have a lot of storage, why not hoard? I certainly would if I had the means. Guessing what will be available and what won’t twenty years from now is a crapshoot, though. If you can do that successfully you should be playing the stock market with regularity.
Nick
Current: 2007 Town Car, 2012 MKZ AWD
WANTED: 1969 sedan, 70-71 Mark III, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Postby stevedrums » Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:34 pm

460/c6 parts aren't going anywhere.
if the rear end is a 9", that is going to have plentiful parts forever as well
you're right about rear difs- it's usually trucks and muscle cars that blow 'em
sounds like you already have a really decent stockpile to me! electrical stuff is worth hoarding
stevedrums
Frequent Contributor

Postby action » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:03 pm

The short answer is NO!

Everything you have listed - the answer is NO
tires(especially the large 15" tires that the Lincoln uses), alternators, exhaust(including pipes/mufflers/brackets & hangars), batteries, bearings that are inside the rear differential (other than wheel bearings which I have already stockpiled), pinion seals, front & rear transmission seals, driveshaft u-joints, torque converter, starter motor, starter solenoid, voltage regulator, high current cables such as for the battery or starter motor, control arms, shocks/struts, calipers/rotors/brake pads/wheel brake hoses, brake master cylinder, brake proportioning valve, radiators, heater core, wiper blades(especially the large ones for the Mark V)

Sheet metal, trim interior and exterior are pieces to save or find and keep. Sheet metal (rust free) if you have that kind of storage.

Maintenance items and parts that wear out frequently (alternators, starters, brake parts batteries, u-joints) will be a made. And buying some of those things now and not using to later is a waste. Like tires. Tires, batteries, runner seals have a shelf life. Tires are good for 5 to 10 years. After that no matter how much tread is left the tire is shot. As for 15" tires, thank the plumbers and tradesmen for those tires. Because that is the tire size for a work truck. And work trucks will be around for a very long time.

The aftermarket goes through cycles of making parts. After a new model comes out they will make replacement parts for a long time. That will drop off until the restoration market comes alive. The designs and pieces needed to make replacement parts has already been done from the first wave. All they have to do is slow down the manufacturing then blow life back in once the vehicle restorers come out. Or the designs and molds are sold to Asia and Asia starts making parts.

Classic cars of the 1960s are popular now. Like cars of the 1950s and 1940s were some time ago.
Car of the 1970s will pop eventually but that market will be spotty. Because there are some vehicles that no one wants. Like the initial batch of 1973 to 1977 cars with big bumpers boxy lines or LTD II/Marquis/mid-sized T-Bird, Tempo/Topaz or the K car or Chevette. I do not see those cars as becoming more popular except for target practice.

>>>>>Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
action
LCOC Regional Director

Postby Mike » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:59 pm

Everything you listed in your first paragraph are common parts spread across many vehicles that are very common parts. They're only worth keeping if you happen to run across something at a great price. Parking brake cables might not be a bad idea but they usually need to be replaced when they seize, not because they break.
It sounds like you've already collected the important stuff.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs
Mike
Lincoln Maniac

Postby papawayne » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:05 am

Do you have children, and do you anticipate having a widow? Do not hoard under any circumstances. They will hate you in death. Wayne
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Postby George W » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:55 am

Though this may be contrary to a car culture person but you are likely better off stockpiling cash in the bank rather than old car parts. By stockpiling cash you only need to search out the part(s) you need when you actually need them. Simply be prepared to possibly have to pay or offer an exorbitant price for a truly scarce item. You will ultimately spend or tie up far less money in the long run and you'll have a LOT more space at your disposal.
You won't have bought lots of parts that you will never ever need or even forgot that you may already have and your heirs or a spouse won't be throwing it all out in the trash once you're dead and gone which benefits no one.
1965 Sedan, newly acquired
George W
Frequent Contributor

Return to Miscellaneous Lincoln-related Discussion