2020 Mileage Challenge Thread (OFFICIAL)

If it is Lincoln-related and doesn't seem to fall in the other categories or you just can't figure out where to put it, put it here!

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, Continental69

TonyC
TLFer for Life

2020 Mileage Challenge Thread (OFFICIAL)

Post by TonyC »

Hi, all,

Submitted for the Forum's approval: The 2020 Mileage Challenge Thread, open for every person on the Forum to brag about how much they drive their cars in this new decade.

Starting with me, below is a re-post of my ending mileage from last decade: 67,355.1 (add 300K to that). Since then I have racked up more, to the tune of 69,664.1 (also posted below), making this year's total to date ‭2,309‬ miles. I realize that, for some, it will be months before they decide to give their cars the PT they need; but as a motivator, Frankenstein did a road trip to Florida and back to Kansas for Christmas, with an overnight detour in New Orleans which has to be one of the worst cities in the country to try to navigate around. Despite increasingly-evident valve trouble, he made it and still is going even through a deep-freeze currently over Kansas. So, keep that in mind if you have any apprehension about the durability of these cars. :wink:

---Tony
Attachments
2019 End Odo Reading
2019 End Odo Reading
Odo Reading, 12 January 2020
Odo Reading, 12 January 2020
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: DRAFT 2020 Mileage Challenge Thread

Post by papawayne »

Mine's still in winter hibernation, but if we don't get some snow soon, it might just come out. Really crazy winter so far here on the coast.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Well, all, even though this year's mileage challenge is still at draft-level, pending official approval, it's time for me to submit my quarterly report, if at least to remind everyone here that there exists a thread to post how many miles you've driven your respective oldtimers. Attached is today's odo reading, which shows 71,658.6 miles. Subtracting the reading from my last report in January, that means 1,994.5‬ miles driven since then, making cumulative mileage to date ‭4,303.5‬...and still counting. Yes, that is very little for me...but considering the two primary circumstances (being in the market for new heads, plus the cootie-scare boarding up places I'd otherwise go), it's to be expected.

I'm fairly sure that holding a mileage challenge for this year will be as difficult as any before, if not more so. But, being that winter is fading away, I reiterate the challenge to everyone here to dare to be rebels; defy The Man and his fascist edicts; drive your cars.

---Tony
Attachments
Odo Reading, 6 April 2020
Odo Reading, 6 April 2020
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Stuart M. Cohen
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Stuart M. Cohen »

With everything going on, don't expect to get the car out much this year. I did get to the garage Sunday and fired up the Lincoln and Tbird. Couldn't get the Packard running, but will get my mechanic over once things settle down to help.

Will see how things go.....
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

Snow blower put away (Snow in forecast Thursday), Motorcycle started, but with registry closed can't register it, not even online, Have seen some bikes out and on the road, though, and it doesn't seem like the cops are bothering them, even though every MC in Maine is registered in March. Lawn mover started, no grass yet for probably a month. Lincoln continues to repose in the garage. (Too muddy in these parts to really think seriously about getting it out anyway.) Can't really plan any road trips or vacations just yet, but do intend to do some diving this summer if they blow the all clear. Wayne
Stuart M. Cohen
Lincoln-ally Insane

Took all three cars out today for a drive. Nice to be able to get them out, especially since they all started, ran well and stopped when needed. :grin:

Most shows cancelled for this month (again) so will try to get them out as often as possible.
Stuart M. Cohen
Lincoln-ally Insane

Took all three cars out today for a drive. Nice to be able to get them out, especially since they all started, ran well and stopped when needed. :grin:

Most shows cancelled for this month (again) so will try to get them out as often as possible.
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

Now you're making me jealous, Stu...gotta get mine out. All shows that we might have gone to this summer have been canceled. I'm not even sure if the Owls Head Transportation Museum is going to open any time soon. They usually have a show of some kind every weekend. No parades or festivals either. This is going to be remembered as the year that didn't happen. Wayne
rick
Lincoln Maniac

Post by rick »

Wayne, I suppose we'll just have to make our own "happenings!"

For me, a trip to the Walmart parking lot for an in-cars facing opposite directions coffee with my friends to maintain covid-safe distancing that my province is mandating will be a big time "happening!"

My car is still not "operative" because my carb kit has still NOT arrived from Lincoln Land after a month in the mail due to the general "log jam" in mail delivery.

Once the car is running, I'll get enough vacuum connected properly to at least drive around my town of ten thousand people. That will be one cool "happening" in my book after one and a half years of waiting. :)

Now, the windows on the drivers side have elected to go on strike for some reason. So even more issues to solve before that in-car coffee can become reality.

Rick
1961 Lincoln sedan
2011 Lincoln Navigator
2015 Lincoln Navigator
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

Keep at it! We are now required to wear masks if we go out in public. This rule comes about a month later than it probably should have, but on June 1, some more closed businesses are supposed to be able to open up. Might even be able to get a haircut. Haven't had time yet to fire up the 63. Must do. Wayne
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Only driven my '67 about 50 miles so far, this year. Had it out at the beginning of spring when it was relatively nice out. Car has since been sitting torn apart after I found the expansion tank leaking. Once I took the expansion tank off, the snowball started.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

I believe that it was Dan who once posted here, "One repair begets another" . Can't think of anything more true with these cars. How many of us have said to ourselves, "While I'm in here, I might as well do..." Wayne
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: 2020 Mileage Challenge Thread (OFFICIAL)

Post by Dan Szwarc »

This is the official thread now (title edited).
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Thank you, Dan! :smt006

Okay, Forum friends, now it's time to perform your mission, should you decide to accept it. Get those cars out!

---Tony
"Question Authority!"

Stuart M. Cohen
Lincoln-ally Insane

Nice weather today so we took all three out again. Didn't put more than probably 20 miles or so on each one, but did enjoy the rides!

Return to “Miscellaneous Lincoln-related Discussion”