Continental 80th Anniversary Coach Door Edition

If it is Lincoln-related and doesn't seem to fall in the other categories or you just can't figure out where to put it, put it here!

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, Continental69

action
LCOC Regional Director

Re: Continental 80th Anniversary Coach Door Edition

Post by action »

papawayne wrote:It is still possible to pick up a slightly used 10 year old Lincoln for very little money, Wayne
Car or truck.

By the time the luxury vehicle is 10 years old the retail value may be a tenth of MSRP.

>>>>>Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

Wow, Action, I was gonna put about 10% in my post but decided against it, because I wasn't sure if it was true or not...It must be, if you are thinking it too...however, at 15 years old, a Lincoln may only cost the buyer $1,500.00, which is a great deal if it is not rusted and has fewer than 100, 000 miles which is not unheard of if it was Tony's grand's car. That's how I got my 03, and right now it is still the most comfortable car I own. Only recently has it developed stiff steering, and I hope it is only a tensioner pulley. Fluid is fine. Wayne
ContiFan
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by ContiFan »

action wrote:Car or truck.

By the time the luxury vehicle is 10 years old the retail value may be a tenth of MSRP.
Potentially but I don't think it's usually quite that bad these days. A ten year old (2010) base Lincoln MKS with 100,000 miles has a retail value of around $8,700 (KBB) to $9,000 (NADA) which would be as much as 21% of its original MSRP. Also, crossovers and SUVs like MKX, Navigator, etc. tend to do even better in the current market.
ContiFan
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by ContiFan »

Another Continental 80th Anniversary Coach Door Edition has come up for sale, this one with 2,100 miles. It is at a Ford dealership in Raleigh, NC and has an asking price of $100,000. https://www.mycapitalford.com/used/Linc ... 55211b.htm
ContiFan
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by ContiFan »

A 2019 Continental 80th Anniversary Coach Door Edition (#26 of 80) sold at Barrett-Jackson yesterday for $137,500 including auction premium.
https://barrett-jackson.com/Events/Even ... ION-243811

That's more than some dealers are or had been asking for new/leftover cars.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Apparently, that one sold; so somebody out there both had the cash on hand and the desire to own probably the most distinguished sedan built today.

If I had money to burn, I'd probably get one myself to add to my collection. But I'm only a retired Staff Sergeant. Besides, I wouldn't go so far as to demand a fundraiser on my behalf to acquire that model of Continental; I think my demand for a '67 convertible is enough charge to the world.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
ContiFan
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by ContiFan »

My understanding is that a total of 219 "Coach Door Editions" ended up being built. 80 of the 2019 80th Anniversary models and 139 2020 models. A decent number of new/leftover cars appear to still be available if anyone is looking for a place to spend around $115,000 or more. The coach door conversion added approximately $35,000 to $40,000 MSRP to the price of a "traditional door" Continental Black Label.
ContiCDE.jpg
WilliJeep
Frequent Contributor

Post by WilliJeep »

I bet Texas Metal or Iron Resurrection could do the conversion a lot cheaper! :grin:

Bill
ContiFan
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by ContiFan »

WilliJeep wrote:I bet Texas Metal or Iron Resurrection could do the conversion a lot cheaper! :grin:
Cabot Coach Builders did the conversions for Lincoln. In addition to the "coach doors", they also lengthened the car six inches. I wonder what the "wholesale" cost was to Lincoln?
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

The SUV has pretty much killed the Continental. This is the last year for it, no matter what.

https://thenewswheel.com/is-the-lincoln ... ad-or-not/

And this article claims it is already dead.

https://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2020/1 ... ree-brand/

Luxury Sedans are dead in the USA, for sure. Collectors can whine, but no model can exist on 10,000 copies per year.

I would not feel to badly if it came back as an SUV.
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

I was never a huge fan of this car, but it's at least nice to have options. I have become dismayed at the SUV-craze as I like a sedan for my daily driver. I could care less about collectability. To me, an SUV is worthless for anything other than hauling around a big family. Since I don't have one, they really have no "utility" to me. Really unfortunate that the market has moved away from reliable, comfortable, powerful, cheap to maintain sedans. My only options now are a few models of Chrysler products or go German. I've been looking for a new daily driver and it's difficult to even find a Town Car that is decent.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

LithiumCobalt wrote: I was never a huge fan of this car, but it's at least nice to have options. I have become dismayed at the SUV-craze as I like a sedan for my daily driver. I could care less about collectability. To me, an SUV is worthless for anything other than hauling around a big family.
The other use for a SUV is towing. Like towing a trailer to get a parts car. Or towing your classic to the shop to be restored.
In my case I have a boat and use my SUV for that purpose as well as a DD. I used to have 2 vehicles, a DD that was a luxury coupe and a truck/van to tow the boat.

There are no luxury coupes from the Blue Oval so my decision was made when the Mark Series was dropped.

Action
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

action wrote:
LithiumCobalt wrote: I was never a huge fan of this car, but it's at least nice to have options. I have become dismayed at the SUV-craze as I like a sedan for my daily driver. I could care less about collectability. To me, an SUV is worthless for anything other than hauling around a big family.
The other use for a SUV is towing. Like towing a trailer to get a parts car. Or towing your classic to the shop to be restored.
In my case I have a boat and use my SUV for that purpose as well as a DD. I used to have 2 vehicles, a DD that was a luxury coupe and a truck/van to tow the boat.

There are no luxury coupes from the Blue Oval so my decision was made when the Mark Series was dropped.

Action
Yeah, I acknowledge towing is an advantage, too, but why not a truck then? Not only can you tow with a truck, but you can fill the bed with whatever you can think of. I've primarily been driving F-150's as my daily drivers, but recognize it is impractical to drive one everyday when it is seldom needed. Anyways, reality for me is that I either have to drive a truck or increasingly older sedans if I want something that is comfortable and has some space to it.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

A pick up truck is an option. Lincoln used to have a loaded LT.
In the truck arena the choice is between more people or more material.
Two door or four door pick up versus a 7 to 8 passenger SUV.

My preference is more people. Sure it is possible (in AZ) to put people in the bed of a pick up however I have more situations to haul people.
My DD is a '06 Navigator Limited. (Has every option) Most of the time it is crew of three. (Me, myself and I)
Sometimes my family rides and we have my wife's sedan.
On rare occasions I have hauled my teenager's friends around.

Even more rare are times I need to haul stuff. This month is one of those. I am remodeling a bath room and I am the general contractor, So I am hauling material that is bulky and in the case of tile is heavy. I just fold the rear seats with the touch of a button, insert a large piece of card board, load up and drive away. Even 8 foot sections of trim and misc piece fit. I may have to leave the lift gate window open but that isn;t a big deal.
Things I have hauled -
48" bath vanity
700 pounds of tile\
Shower door enclosure
And hauled an entertainment center to Goodwill
These examples may sound numerous and in the space of a decade it actually isn't a lot. Prior to the Navigator I had a full sized van for towing and my DD was the Mark VIII listed below. The SUV replaced both vehicles.
Doesn't work for everyone however it works for me

Action
ContiFan
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by ContiFan »

Dan Szwarc wrote:The SUV has pretty much killed the Continental. This is the last year for it, no matter what.
https://thenewswheel.com/is-the-lincoln ... ad-or-not/

And this article claims it is already dead.
https://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2020/1 ... ree-brand/
Both the Continental and MKZ have been discontinued. As of 2021, Lincoln is a crossover/SUV-only brand. Other domestic premium/luxury brands like Cadillac, Chrysler, Tesla and Lucid are still (or will soon be) offering 4 door models, and Lincoln may again as well. Time will tell.

Dan Szwarc wrote: Collectors can whine, but no model can exist on 10,000 copies per year.
At least not at lower price points.

Return to “Miscellaneous Lincoln-related Discussion”