Jay Leno/John Cashman video.

If it is Lincoln-related and doesn't seem to fall in the other categories or you just can't figure out where to put it, put it here!

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, Continental69

John Cashman
Lincoln Guru
Location: Travel the USA... Favorites are southern Ca. & Fla.

The ultimate Lincoln video with Jay Leno and John Cashman!

Post by John Cashman »

Grab a cold one & a comfortable seat and search YouTube... Jay Leno/Lincoln Continental. Video is 50 minutes long and fully covers a lot of the quirks and idiosyncrasies on a 1966 Lincoln.I know I left a lot of things out, but stay tuned more videos will be coming... Enjoy!
Stuart M. Cohen
Lincoln-ally Insane

Re: Jay Leno/John Cashman video.

Post by Stuart M. Cohen »

Finally had a chance to view it. Great job, John!

John is the man, John was the man and John will always be the man. :D
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: The ultimate Lincoln video with Jay Leno and John Cashma

Post by Dan Szwarc »

John, we’ve been watching it for four days now! Merged with original topic.

What we really would like to hear is any behind the scenes stories. How’s Jay as a person, how was the process, did they tell you what to say or where to stand, etc?
Steve K
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Steve K »

You know the old comment that goes, "there's this guy" or "I've got a guy"? John, you're "the guy". I don't know what will happen to these Lincolns when you depart this mortal coil. It is almost like these cars are dependent upon you and you are their nanny....you have an inherent responsibility for them. I sure hope you have a book in mind. The Definitive Guide to Loving and Fostering a 60s Lincoln by John Cashman - The Guy". Notice I didn't say "owning". I don't think any of us owns these cars. We have the privilege of caring for them for a time and then have to pass them on to the next foster parent. Once there is no one to mentor future owners, the cars will wither and die....ashes to ashes and rust to rust. So I hope you are seriously considering writing a book, a serious one perhaps even with a writer who can take your words and put them on a page.
2018 Lincoln Continental
1964 Lincoln Continental Sedan
1948 Mercury Town Sedan,
1959 Mercury Montclair
John Cashman
Lincoln Guru
Location: Travel the USA... Favorites are southern Ca. & Fla.

Post by John Cashman »

Thanks everyone for all the kind words! Now that most everyone has seen the video here are a few outtakes... Jay is a super nice guy with a TRUE passion for all makes of old and new cars,motorcycles,steam vehicles,stationary steam and gas engines, alternative power, aircraft, and truly over the top stuff and one offs.His amazing collection is about 300 cars and 150 motorcycles.Plus tanks and stuff that defies description. He started the ‘62 Chrysler turbine car for me as well as a 1912 fire truck and various other amazing vehicles.Everything he owns is ready to go and drive at any given moment( Thanks to many full time mechanics which are the best in the biz)and they are regularly driven,enjoyed, and featured on episodes of the garage. My initial visit there was to fix the Lincoln convertible but since that didn’t take too long I got a tour of the collection which I really needed 2 days to see (or more) We went to lunch in the Lincoln convertible (of course)and Jay is very accommodating to his many fans who honk,wave and want pictures. We discussed the many reality car shows on TV these days, so many of which are scripted and staged...Just for entertainment. What makes his videos and Jay Leno’s Garage different is the cars are the stars and you really learn about them, the movie industry, and lots of other information. Jays humor on the show never gets old either! I’ve been before cameras before so doing this was a natural for me, no rehearsing or scripting needed,everything came naturally. In looking back there were points that I missed (Talking about the Kennedy Lincoln) but we have to leave something for next time right? Incidentally we filmed for about five hours that day so there is still footage of my service truck,Luna the dog,etc,etc.Stay tuned...
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

We can't wait. Wayne
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

How can one compress all of John’s knowledge into a 90 minute video? One cannot.
vashtsdaytona
Lincoln Maniac

Post by vashtsdaytona »

I really liked the video and was impressed with the length. they are typically half that and really should have let you go as long as you wanted!

question though, throughout the video you were talking about hood ornaments off and on. saying 66 was that last pointy rigid mount, then 67 got a different star, 68/69 had no star. then they brought it back in 70 with a spring mount?

I think that's what you had said in there. but I have 69 4dr and it has a rigid mount pointy star hood ornament. I believe it to be the factory hood. not trying to call you out, but perhaps did you miss speak, or do I have something atypical going on?
1969 Conti 4dr 460cid
Classiccannuk
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Classiccannuk »

John Cashman wrote:Thanks everyone for all the kind words! Now that most everyone has seen the video here are a few outtakes... Jay is a super nice guy with a TRUE passion for all makes of old and new cars,motorcycles,steam vehicles,stationary steam and gas engines, alternative power, aircraft, and truly over the top stuff and one offs.His amazing collection is about 300 cars and 150 motorcycles.Plus tanks and stuff that defies description. He started the ‘62 Chrysler turbine car for me as well as a 1912 fire truck and various other amazing vehicles.Everything he owns is ready to go and drive at any given moment( Thanks to many full time mechanics which are the best in the biz)and they are regularly driven,enjoyed, and featured on episodes of the garage. My initial visit there was to fix the Lincoln convertible but since that didn’t take too long I got a tour of the collection which I really needed 2 days to see (or more) We went to lunch in the Lincoln convertible (of course)and Jay is very accommodating to his many fans who honk,wave and want pictures. We discussed the many reality car shows on TV these days, so many of which are scripted and staged...Just for entertainment. What makes his videos and Jay Leno’s Garage different is the cars are the stars and you really learn about them, the movie industry, and lots of other information. Jays humor on the show never gets old either! I’ve been before cameras before so doing this was a natural for me, no rehearsing or scripting needed,everything came naturally. In looking back there were points that I missed (Talking about the Kennedy Lincoln) but we have to leave something for next time right? Incidentally we filmed for about five hours that day so there is still footage of my service truck,Luna the dog,etc,etc.Stay tuned...
enjoyed the show very much...you know your stuff! I wish you were close by to spend some time with my car and put it back in the pink, I love my Lincoln but hate all the small quirky issues with it.
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

vashtsdaytona wrote:I really liked the video and was impressed with the length. they are typically half that and really should have let you go as long as you wanted!

question though, throughout the video you were talking about hood ornaments off and on. saying 66 was that last pointy rigid mount, then 67 got a different star, 68/69 had no star. then they brought it back in 70 with a spring mount?

I think that's what you had said in there. but I have 69 4dr and it has a rigid mount pointy star hood ornament. I believe it to be the factory hood. not trying to call you out, but perhaps did you miss speak, or do I have something atypical going on?
Someone added it later on. Personally, it is one modification I’d be willing to make on the 68-69. Astute purists would say it’s a no-no, but it looks naked without it. Rigid mount was from 58-66. 67 was one year only spring loaded. 68-69 did not get them from the factory (era of Nader). 1970 came back with a spring loaded but the star was a different deisgn and less pointy.
Last edited by LithiumCobalt on Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

LithiumCobalt wrote: Someone added it later on. Personally, it is one modification I’d be willing to make on the 68-69. Astute purists would say it’s a no-no, but it looks naked without it. Rigid mount was from 58-66. 67 was one year only spring loaded. 68-69 did not get them from the factory (era of Nader).
Continental Mark III from 1969 to 1971 did not have an ornament at all. One of the more popular additions to Mark III is a Lincoln hood ornament from some other Lincoln. Another quirk to Mark III is the name Lincoln. The name Lincoln is not found anywhere on the Mark III. This quirk extends to literature. Most (not all) Mark III literature does not have Lincoln written on it. I think that was an Iacocca thing.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
vashtsdaytona
Lincoln Maniac

Post by vashtsdaytona »

well the heck!!

I had no idea. are the hoods interchangeable? I ask because I wonder if I have swapped hood. as the hole for the hood ornament is square. its pretty hard for the guy at home to make a square hole. ok maybe not HARD but more work than most people would do.
1969 Conti 4dr 460cid
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

66-69 hoods should interchange, I think. Not sure about the other years.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham

Return to “Miscellaneous Lincoln-related Discussion”