Don't Drive your car!

If it is Lincoln-related and doesn't seem to fall in the other categories or you just can't figure out where to put it, put it here!

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, Continental69

papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Don't Drive your car!

Post by papawayne »

For G-d's sake folks, don't drive your cars! As Tony and Stu will attest if you drive them, they will cost you money! After just one week in the shop, to finally address a steering issue, and install a new exhaust, my 63 racked up over $2,700 in parts and labor, not counting exhaust parts, which I had already. The only steering component that hadn't failed was the pump and the center link (drag link, if you want). My mechanic tells me that these parts failed because I insist on driving my car! Steering boxes are expensive (the third one for this car) and so are tie rod ends and such, apparently. Wayne
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: Don't Drive your car!

Post by Dan Szwarc »

For god's sake, just sit and look at your car. It is a piece of furniture or art and not designed to go on roads. EVER!

/s
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

I have more bad news, they wear out when they're parked too!
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Fraser's right. The only way to remove that expense is to get rid of the car and not replace it with any motorized conveyance.

If a mechanic gets away with charging $2.7Gs for a mere steering job, you need a new mechanic...or need to just study the shop manual and put that money into upgrading your garage into a mini-shop.

You say that's the third steering box you've been through?? WTH...? Have you replaced the spongy spacers with hard ones? The spongy originals have been the cause of every steering failure in these cars.

---Tony
Last edited by TonyC on Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

I've actually had the car since 1995. The first one (steering box) was normal wear and tear, the next one was a sloppy rebuild, and came right out, but got fixed and put back in. This one went all wonky in the fall of 2020, after a fairly large thump. Mechanic tells me that something important inside of it, that controls steering wheel feel has come undone, andis making the thumping noise. I bought new rubberized spacers before the last big trip but will replace them with solid ones. The steering box alone is 800 bucks, tie rod ends are 140 for inners and 145 for outers, sleeves are 100, labor so far is 860. Other things on the list are less than 100 each, like belts, and exhaust parts that did not come with the new pipes, etc. In the good old days, I did my own work, but alas, age has caught up with me. But even with the change of life, I'll keep driving it, until the kids take away my license...Wayne
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

I can understand that; that's bound to happen to me one day as well, assuming the Reaper doesn't come back to collect sooner (which I suspect). But at least you still have the ability to drive...well, you may want to reduce the driving until you can replace those spacers. Then you can do long-distance trips again.

So, the gearbox in there now went through two rebuilds? Was it a local job? If so, you might want to consider sourcing out the next rebuild to someone outside the local area.

Wow, 1995...that's longer than I had Frankenstein. I still had my grand's Man-Of-War in '95, driving it up and down the state of Florida, when my mother and stepfather lived in South Florida.

---Tony
Last edited by TonyC on Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
rick
Lincoln Maniac

Post by rick »

Well Wayne, you got the old girl up and safely operational again... which is what counts in my book. Maine wouldn't be the same without it prowling around up there.

I figure repairing these cars is just the "Cost of Doing Business."....... and the business we're all in like it or not, is owning and operating these rare beauties. Gotta love'em.

I bought my '86 928 in '91 and it's still sitting there in the garage...... right beside the Lincoln. The odd couple. Owned the Lincoln now for almost four years which is not very long in this Forum ......... but have loved them since 1961 when I saw my first one. Finally got one.
1961 Lincoln sedan
2011 Lincoln Navigator
2015 Lincoln Navigator
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

Hi folks, thanks for your thoughts! Fraser: Thanks for your kind offer, but I strongly suspect that the old box has already gone off to function as a core charge. I may or may not have been successful in sending you a PM. Tony: I won't mention the name of the rebuilder who had the very quick turnaround, but we both trust him on other things. Rick: thanks for the good words, and Dan thanks for being the first to respond to my tongue in cheek post! (with more cheekiness! Wayne
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

No P.M. arrived, but I was having difficulty sending as well yesterday. For God's sake, don't use your computer, just look at it, it's a piece of art!
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Letting them sit for extended periods does more damage than using it regularly, in my opinion.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
Stuart M. Cohen
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Stuart M. Cohen »

The only thing I have to say is Welcome to the Club!!

Just paid $400 in labor to have the radiator replaced in the Tbird; it's the cost of being a mechanical moron!

You can't take it with you, so you mind as well enjoy it while you can.
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

Ah, yes, having one of these things is just the cost of admission. You still have to buy the popcorn and the drinks. Wayne
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

papawayne wrote: You still have to buy the popcorn and the drinks. Wayne
And sometimes butter for the popcorn is just no longer available!!!!

Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

It is winter. Let's see how far and foolish we can take this! wayne
tomo
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by tomo »

Wayne, your thoughts are right in line with Lincoln advertising in 1953. Here is a ad from 1953, excuse the poor quality but I captured it off of the internet. My scanner won't handle the size of the one that I have hanging in my office.

I tried to convince my wife that the living room was the appropriate place to park the Lincoln, but she wasn't having any part of that.
Attachments
always at home in your Linocln.jpg
Tom O'Donnell
Palatine, IL
1953 Capri Sport Coupe

Return to “Miscellaneous Lincoln-related Discussion”