Narragansett Reproductions fiasco

Temporarily locked due to spammers. Will investigate.

Ask here if you are looking for a facility to perform labor on your Lincoln. You should also post your recommended suppliers or servicers here for others to find. Want to name a vendor you had a bad experience with? Post your comments here, but please stick to the facts. Ask or post for Part Numbers and Cross References in the sub-forum specifically for that here.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Narragansett Reproductions fiasco

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Not sure where to even begin with this story other than to say if you want to order anything from this place, think a long time before you actually do. I ordered two battery cables back in February from these yahoos. Was previously impressed with their work on an engine harness that I needed for my '67 convertible a few years back. The craftsmanship was amazing. Recently, you are lucky if they answer the phone. On the rare occasion you get someone to pick up, the guy doesn't know anything and says he will have someone call you back, except no one ever does. Called them probably thirty times since February and the story is either "it will be shipped tomorrow" or "I will have to get someone to call you back". Extremely disappointed because their craftsmanship was incredible. Tired of dealing with them. Buyer beware.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
linc64
TLFer for Life

Re: Narragansett Reproductions fiasco

Post by linc64 »

I'd cut them a little slack. Owner Ed Pease recently passed away.
Jim Ayres
Western Region Director
Photobucket link blocked by PB
Join the LCOC
Join the Lincoln Motorcar Foundation
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

So the fiasco is only that there is little communication and you are waiting longer than you prefer. I understand if you paid in advance and that you want your product, but when you have no other choices, what do you do?

Sorry to hear about Ed's passing.
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

linc64 wrote:I'd cut them a little slack. Owner Ed Pease recently passed away.
I realize that, but this has been going on long before that.
Nick
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Dan Szwarc wrote:So the fiasco is only that there is little communication and you are waiting longer than you prefer. I understand if you paid in advance and that you want your product, but when you have no other choices, what do you do?

Sorry to hear about Ed's passing.
Ha, nothing else to do besides bitch or find someone else that can do the job that they promise to do. We're talking about a simple ground cable here going on seven months, not an entire dash wiring harness or something. I just get tired of the runaround. If you want to run a business, then do so. If not, don't continue to string people along REPEATEDLY telling them you will do this or that when they have no intentions of following through. All they have to do is say, "sorry, we cannot fill your order". I've been patient enough and also polite. Just warning other people so that they are aware.
Nick
stevedrums
Frequent Contributor

Post by stevedrums »

customer service is essential to any business
1961 Sedan
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Patience. For the Jedi it is time to eat as well.

Call Antique. Let your money do the talking. Sorry, but I’d go somewhere else, too.
CaptainDave
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by CaptainDave »

I'm sorry to hear about Ed's passing as well. Tim Nill passed away earlier this year, too. Dan's comment about Jedi strikes me as more serious than humorous. It was key that the Jedi replenish their ranks. Hard it was to find young padawans with the talent, patience and discipline to study the ways of the force. As it was "in a galaxy far away" it is in Rhode Island. I visited Narragansett some years ago. I was amazed at their work but it is a cottage industry and I can't imagine how hard it must be for them to find trainees. Someone has to take over these businesses if we are to keep our cars on the road. Narragansett had machines dating to the 1930s and earlier. It's an incredible operation. That said, Lithium has a legitimate gripe. Perhaps a forum member who lives near RI could PM him and make arrangements to drop in on Narragansett in person and try to get the ball rolling. In the meantime, let's thank our lucky stars we have Antique also.
'66 convertible "The Blue Lagoon"
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Didn't Mikki Pease also die a few years back? I remember them both not doing well.
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Posting a follow-up to this thread. Got someone to finally answer today. It was Ed's son. Apparently Connecticut has some dumbass law from 1860 that requires businesses to shut down for 60 days, so not only were they backed up, they couldn't fill orders. To add insult to injury, the place that Narragansett was getting their ends for the cables has gone out of business so they can't get them anymore. I wonder if he is referring to Restoration Battery? He is going to try to find one around the shop. Sounds like they are having a hard time, mostly from things out of their control. Wish I had gotten this explanation sooner.
Nick
CaptainDave
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by CaptainDave »

Narragansett Reproductions is based in Rhode Island, not Connecticut, but either way, that 60 day thing sounds implausible. I just hope they get back in the saddle soon, for their sakes and ours!
'66 convertible "The Blue Lagoon"
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

These old car companies are literally dying off.
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Since Narragansett seems to be out of the mix now, does anyone have a vendor they use for authentic wiring harnesses? I'd like to have my engine harness re-done and my alternator harness either re-done or re-wrapped in the authentic woven cloth sheating.
Nick
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

If you find that source please share

Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Alright, so here's what I know....Called Rhode Island Wiring and spoke to a lovely lady who answered the telephone...the owner of RI Wire is supposedly related to Narragansett (a brother or cousin, or something). Apparently, Narragansett cannot seem to get things back together to get things running according to the lady I spoke with. RI Wire unfortunately does not handle anything with molded ends so their work is concentrated on things that were made during simpler times, up to about mid to late 50's and that's it. What they do offer, however, is re-braiding wire harnesses with the cloth weave sheathing. This is different than the asphalt coated cloth you see in other places around the engine bay. Their price is only $4.50/ft and $7 to setup the machine. I am going to pull my alternator harness out and give it a good inspection to determine if it is worthy of a re-wrap in the correct material.

Other information I was given by the lovely lady...she had two recommendations for other companies that do this kind of work. Both ended up being dead-ends for me. One is called Class Tech in Bend, OR - I couldn't find anyplace with this name that builds wiring harnesses. A google search shows "permanently closed".

The other recommendation is Alloy Metal Products located somewhere in NY. The name is all over Mustang reproduction parts at various vendors, but I cannot find any direct to consumer website or contact information for them.

So, for now, another couple of dead ends. Someone is producing the Mustang and Thunderbird stuff. Who/where are they?
Nick

Return to “Suppliers, Vendors, Feedback, & Part Cross Reference”