Narragansett Reproductions fiasco

Temporarily locked due to spammers. Will investigate.

Ask here if you are looking for a facility to perform labor on your Lincoln. You should also post your recommended suppliers or servicers here for others to find. Want to name a vendor you had a bad experience with? Post your comments here, but please stick to the facts. Ask or post for Part Numbers and Cross References in the sub-forum specifically for that here.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Re: Narragansett Reproductions fiasco

Post by Mike »

For making repro parts you're into the same problem with the popular cars. The problem with them is that unless you are in a situation where you can be the only source there are lots of companies out there already making parts and if one of them catches on that you've got something in demand they'll make it themselves. The problem with our cars is that there's not enough demand. It makes it worse when for these lincolns a lot of the parts are unique to these cars. At least with muscle cars a lot of parts cross over multiple models or were used for years.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs
CaptainDave
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by CaptainDave »

action, Baker's reconstituted its parts business as an eBay store but they stopped servicing cars. Actually, the same was true of Narragansett -- they once serviced Lincolns and retreated to just parts.
Meanwhile, Hagerty has stepped up with a program of grants to classic car shops affected by covid-19. Here are some details: https://community.hagerty.com/t5/restor ... /td-p/2129
'66 convertible "The Blue Lagoon"
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

CaptainDave wrote:action, Baker's reconstituted its parts business as an eBay store but they stopped servicing cars. Actually, the same was true of Narragansett -- they once serviced Lincolns and retreated to just parts.
Meanwhile, Hagerty has stepped up with a program of grants to classic car shops affected by covid-19. Here are some details: https://community.hagerty.com/t5/restor ... /td-p/2129
I think that is what I stated above about Bakers. They have taken a different market approach. Selling parts only and using Ebay as their platform. Not a bad solution in my opinion. Too bad they are not restoring vehicles. But selling parts and vehicle restoration is two different business models and two different skill sets as well, in my opinion.

For Narragansett, does that mean they will build a harness for my '66. Or for any vehicle for that matter?
Because from what I am seeing posted, Narragansett isn't answering the phone. Much less doing business.

>>>Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

When I spoke to the lady at Rhode Island Wiring (sister in law or something of son who now owns Narragansett) she acknowledged that he's having a hard time getting the place back up and running. Beyond that, she didn't really share anything else.

Their reproduction capabilities were phenomenal.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

LithiumCobalt wrote: When I spoke to the lady at Rhode Island Wiring (sister in law or something of son who now owns Narragansett) she acknowledged that he's having a hard time getting the place back up and running. Beyond that, she didn't really share anything else.
My opinion, that sounds like the family members that have taken over the business lacks the skill, knowledge or ability without the direction of Ed. Without Ed operating the store, the business is having a hard time!

BTW that isn't a slam on the family members that are left. Ford Motor Co has done the same thing in 2006. William Clay Ford Jr. (Bill Ford) stepped down as CEO of the company that had his name on it! This was to get Alan Mulally to run the ship. (It was listing badly!) Mulally stopped the bleeding and turned the company around in two years with program called The Way Forward. As such Ford Motor Company did not take government money in the 2008 to 2012 down turn. But to make that happen Bill Ford had to step down because he did not have that skill set to run his own company.

To me it sounds like the Pease family has gotten caught in a transition without a working plan. Extremely unfortunate. And I have seen this happen in the automotive dealership world a number of times

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
CaptainDave
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by CaptainDave »

Lithium and others -- I wonder what we lose if Narragansett does not re-open. Or will other specialty shops pick up the slack? When I was on-site I saw rare machinery and obscure schematics. These, at least, should be worth saving. I'd hate to see the former sold off as scrap metal and the latter shredded for recycling. The "institutional memory" may have died off with the founder, however, and the 5 years of apprenticeship that would have been required for a successor to learn the business thus lost forever. Or can an outfit like SCORE help the heirs turn it back into a going concern? Is there anything we collectors/enthusiasts can or should do? Just thinking out loud here, and interested in others' perspectives.
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Wonder if they need some investors to get the place jumpstarted? If there is not good management, though, doesn’t matter how much money people throw at it. Maybe a call to the family to see if there is anything they need? Narragansett’s knowledge base on Lincoln was extensive. Thinking of Rich Liana and show-correct restorations - he has to have a supplier. Might be worth checking with him.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
CaptainDave
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by CaptainDave »

Good point, Lith (your real name is Nick, yes?), thanks. Rich is a great guy. I visited his shop once, too. I don't think NR's issue is money, based on what I saw when I was there, although I could be wrong. I'm going to try to visit RI Wiring this summer, maybe I'll pick up some useful info if I do.

Return to “Suppliers, Vendors, Feedback, & Part Cross Reference”