63 factory stickers

Details such as correct colors, plating material, inspection marks, orientation, and even the number of wipes that should occur for a vacuum-powered windshield wiper system after pushing the "wash" button.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

cadtbird
Occasional Visitor

63 factory stickers

Post by cadtbird »

Can someone tell me exactly where these 3 stickers go? Thanks!
Attachments
63_stickers2.0.jpg
Lars Kneller
1963 Convertible
1963 Sedan
2015 MKZ Hybrid
Stuart M. Cohen
Lincoln-ally Insane

Re: 63 factory stickers

Post by Stuart M. Cohen »

Not sure about the 2 on the left, but I'm pretty sure the autolite one goes on the air breather.

Check out my site for pictures of my engine compartment.
cadtbird
Occasional Visitor

Post by cadtbird »

Thanks, Stu. Actually I took several pictures of it at Gilmore a couple weeks ago.
Lars Kneller
1963 Convertible
1963 Sedan
2015 MKZ Hybrid
cadtbird
Occasional Visitor

Post by cadtbird »

No one else can help?
Lars Kneller
1963 Convertible
1963 Sedan
2015 MKZ Hybrid
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

I'm just guessing, but it's an educated guess. The Autolite sticker would go on the side of the air cleaner; Stu has a shot on his blog showing where he put his. The big white one on the lower-left looks like it goes on the driver's door, somewhere below the warranty plate. The yellow one, I'm not sure...but if my guess is right, A/C-equipped cars of that year should have a canister installed in the low-pressure line, right by the compressor. It's supposed to be a muffler, to quiet the freon flow and thus the whole system as it operates. I'd say that last sticker goes there.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
AlT63bird
Lincoln Maniac

Post by AlT63bird »

My 2 cents' worth, as I've been researching these kinds of things for over 30 years, primarily on T-birds but also for Fords, Mercurys and Lincolns in order to broaden my knowledge about them:

1. The silver decal is a service instruction decal with info on tire pressure and recommendations to use genuine Ford parts. In '63 a similar decal for T-birds was applied on the bottom of the glove box liner, which was in the center console; for Lincolns I can't say, but I suspect if it's like previous years/Ford products that it was placed on the inside face of the glove box lid so that you could read it when you opened the glove box. Tire pressure decals started showing up in 1964 on the door jambs in Ford products, locations varying by model and body style. I don't recall if it's pictured in the '61-'63 Lincoln Authenticity Manual.

2. The red/white Autolite parts decal does go on the air cleaner, but I don't have a good description of where it goes. On other Ford products of the period it was curved and placed on the top of the air cleaner toward the outer circumference (i.e. not on the lid); as I don't have a photo of an original unrestored '63 Lincoln air cleaner I can't say if it used a curved or straight style. A straight style, which would be more appropriate to use on the side of the air cleaner, began to appear during '64-'65 on other Ford products, but I can't speak to its use on a '63 Lincoln. There is a photo example of the straight style of decal at the 7 o'clock-7:30 position, while at 9 o'clock there is the silver/black 'Use Genuine Fomoco Service Parts' decal. (Clocking if looked at from above with the 12 o'clock position being closest to the firewall and 6 o'clock facing the front of the car). HOWEVER, from an authenticity standpoint what's pictured is not a correct reproduction as the originals had red-orange bands with white background and dark blue lettering that faded to purple. Authentic reproductions are available from EMS Automotive in St. Louis, for example. I don't recall if it's pictured in the '61-'63 Lincoln Authenticity Manual but suspect it is, as well as in numerous photos of '63-'65 Lincoln air cleaners.

3. The decal with the yellow graphics has the part number for the air conditioner compressor. IF it was used, it more than likely was applied to the compressor on the plate that closes off the compressor crankcase, not on a cast/textured surface - at least that's where I've found it on York-style compressors of the period on other Ford products. I've seen these with silver/aluminum backgrounds and blue graphics on early '60s Fords/T-birds, so this one is somewhat new to me. I don't believe it's pictured in the '61-'63 Lincoln Authenticity Manual.

4. As noted above, the silver/black 'Use Genuine FoMoCo parts' decal on the side of the air cleaner should be present. Along with this, there should also be an orange-banded decal with white background and black graphics for the Closed Emission System/PCV system. The photos of Tim Wilson's '64 Lincoln has both of these shown.

The photos of Tim Wilson's 1400-mile '64 Lincoln sedan give a very good depiction of what the '63 should look like:
From Tim Wilson's '64 Lincoln 1400-mile sedan
From Tim Wilson's '64 Lincoln 1400-mile sedan
https://www.thelincolnforum.net/pics/10 ... hotos.html

Obviously, photos illustrating the decals and positions would be most helpful, especially of an unrestored 1962 or 1963 air cleaner, so that others may be able to supplement the above comments with pics and verify (or refute) what was used.
Last edited by AlT63bird on Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Alan H. Tast AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club International
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

I would have thought if that silver one went in an obvious place like the glove box door that someone would have mentioned it by now. Its not very likely that its been peeled off of all cars.

Did you try asking the supplier where they go?
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

Lincoln had a fancy ribbed panel inside the glove box door, so it would not likely have been there. I am sure I saw a picture of it applied to the flock lined cardboard once, but don't know what year. If so, it would not stick for long.
The '67 sales brochure shows a tire sticker on the drivers door rear face, I don't have a '63 brochure, or glove box owners manual, but they may be of help.
Edit, my '62 F series trucks have it on the glove box door.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

I was able to inspect my '62 today, and found a similar sticker on the dash face of the glove box opening, behind the door, right below the switch. Sadly, I didn't have my camera with me.
It appears a lot smaller than the one pictured.
'62 and '67 LCC.
Stuart M. Cohen
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Stuart M. Cohen »

"The photos of Tim Natarus' 1400-mile '64 Lincoln sedan give a very good depiction of what the '63 should look like:

That's Tim Wilson's car.
AlT63bird
Lincoln Maniac

Post by AlT63bird »

Stuart M. Cohen wrote:"The photos of Tim Natarus' 1400-mile '64 Lincoln sedan give a very good depiction of what the '63 should look like:

That's Tim Wilson's car.
Thanks for the correction, Stu - will correct my post. It's been quite a few years since the pics of Wilson's '64 first went up, and I was in a rush for a 'screen grab' to include in my response.
Alan H. Tast AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club International
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

DSCF5243.JPG
'62
Note; in '63, there is a stay cable in this area, so the location will vary.
'62 and '67 LCC.