1976 Mark IV valve cover calibration sticker/label

Details such as correct colors, plating material, inspection marks, orientation, and even the number of wipes that should occur for a vacuum-powered windshield wiper system after pushing the "wash" button.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

kdtbird
Occasional Visitor

1976 Mark IV valve cover calibration sticker/label

Post by kdtbird »

Anyone know if the engine calibration sticker on the valve cover is reproduced? I have seen one similar but not exact. Mine says "GK 469 AC". Any ideas on how to reproduce one myself that will survive under the hood? The original is still on the valve cover but the cover need to be repainted. Car was made Jan, 1976
action
LCOC Regional Director

Re: 1976 Mark IV valve cover calibration sticker/label

Post by action »

I do not know of anyone reproducing those. Just because there are SO many combinations.

Some thoughts
I believe that label is more like treated paper in those years.

What you might explore is a non-automotive business that can copy the data on to paper or even treated paper. From a high quality photo or the original label on the cover.
Or once copied find a coating that can be used.
May be similar to packing tape that can be applied. However packing tape will not hold up

Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
RMAENV
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by RMAENV »

why don't you take a close up picture, measure the label and take it over to Fast Signs or a place like it. Not sure where you are but just google fast signs and your state.
Rob
1966 Lincoln Convertible (White/Black)
1957 Chevy Bel Air Resto-Mod (Anthricite/Black)
2009 Challenger SRT 6.1 Hemi (Hemi Orange Pearl/Black)
2012 Expedition EL (White Titanium Tricoat/Charcoal)
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I’m creating my own for my Mercury based on the VIN, motor options, carb, build date, etc.

They make them for Mustangs. Few people would know the correct tag for any given car vs. a generic one, so do your research or just buy the Mustang sticker.

Looks similar to this:
Attachments
F91B1F5F-E7AF-4B45-80E6-0FF7F6EA1BFF.jpeg
kdtbird
Occasional Visitor

Post by kdtbird »

I took it to Fast Signs. Quote of engine calibration sticker and smog pump sticker is $125.00 ($75.00 for graphic design)
My smog pump sticker says "FOG", not "FIX" like the sticker reproduced. I'll let you know how they turn out.
I bought the sticker kit from Lincoln land for the other stuff. It contains a yellow sticker D6BE-8057-AA (radiator overfill). Where does it go? Can't find a pic of an engine bay anywhere that shows it.
Just for the record, the "vehicle emission control information" sticker on the left valve cover under the oil fill is also different. The one reproduced is D6AE-9C485-HF, mine ends with HE. There are minor differences between the two stickers. Also, the "OK" stamp on mine is a hollow double outline text. Looking at pictures of other Mark IV's, some are like mine (hollow,1" square out to out) and some are a solid bold text. I am working on creating a graphic for rubberstamps.net for the "OK", the other numbers on the valve cover can be created from their stock online text styles, same for the part number on the air cleaner snorkle.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I have found that there are few to zero people who will recognize, no, or even see a sticker and know it is wrong by a single letter, font, color, shape, etc.

The problem is if you use one similar, YOU will know it is wrong and when you are dead the new owner will say to himself, “the previous owner was so stupid he didn’t even get the right sticker”.

The question you have to ask yourself is Is it worth all the time, trouble, and money to make it 100% right?

I need to tell myself it is okay so I can move ahead on these little details.