Naked top Mark III

Details such as correct colors, plating material, inspection marks, orientation, and even the number of wipes that should occur for a vacuum-powered windshield wiper system after pushing the "wash" button.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Barry Wolk
TLFer for Life

Naked top Mark III

Post by Barry Wolk »

So, I did what I said I wan't going to do. I bought another Lincoln. A naked-top Continental Mark III. There were 95 produce of 30,000 made for the 1969 model year. None made in subsequent years.

In "1968 1/2", as some people like to call the cars (not me), Lincoln started production of the Mark III on a modified Thunderbird chassis with a 385 horsepower 460 cubic inch engine mated to a C6 trans. That was the most power, ever, from that engine in factory form.

It was the design-genetic offspring of the Continental Mark II. The Lincoln Continental Mark III of 1958 had no design DNA with the Mark II and faded into obscurity, but has quite a fan-base now. It was forgotten and they started fresh for 1969 with the Mark III.

What makes this car interesting to me is that my father had a naked or slick-top '70 Coupe, but the seemingly redundant Mark III always spoke to me because of the design tie. None of the Mark IIs had vinyl roofs. Some two tone paint and a one-off with a Hartz cloth roof covering. George Barris installed a padded vinyl top on his Mark II, but, there you are.

There were 95 slick tops made, total. The roof were stamped by Budd I believe, and Lincoln rejected 20% of their output as defective. As hard as the body finishers worked it was an enormous effort to get a Lincoln-level finish on the sheet metal. The vinyl roof that was extra became standard as it was less expensive to install a vinyl roof than it was to finish the troublesome sail panels.

Vinyl was a poor choice for any car. It traps moisture and humidity and rust through the roof at the front and rear of a normal Mark III. It gets to be a pretty nasty science experiment going on under there. Many Mark IIIs were crushed because they leaked. A naked top car has a much better chance of survival, but there don't seem to be many real ones. You can tell by looking under the panel in front of the trunk. If there was a vinyl top there would be trim bolt holes that gave been welded shut or you see a pink booger of Bondo oozing through the hole.

This is a real, factory documented, original. It has it's road rash, but it's just a patina. It has a remarkable finish for a survivor. The owner has a better memory than I. He said that just after he and his partner bought it 17 years ago we talked and I told him that if he ever sold the car........well, here we are.

He contacted me a year ago and was asking a lot of money. I offered what Hagerty says a Concours car was worth. It's not a Concours-condition car but I've never seen a better survivor. He politely refused my offer, but I was tempted to bump it up. My patience paid off. He said he was wary of what others might do to his hot rod Lincoln. He thought I'd be a better caretaker.
He's already arranged shipping, which we've agreed to split.

'56 Mark II convertible, '51 Royal Spartanette, '56 Chris Craft Continental
'68 Lincoln Continental Limo, '77 Town Car, '55 356 Porsche Continental cabrio,
'69 Mark III convertible,'88 BMW 750iL, '88 BMW 325iX, '97 BMW Z-3, '98 ML-320

My newest car is 15 years old!
action
LCOC Regional Director

Re: Naked top Mark III

Post by action »

Where is the Mark now?

Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
Barry Wolk
TLFer for Life

Post by Barry Wolk »

In a Reliable transport on its way to me in Michigan

papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

I was already speculating that it was going to be yours, Barry, congratulations. Wayne
tomo
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by tomo »

Congratulations on a great acquisition. That car looks great, I love the color and the lack of a vinyl covering of the top.

Keep the patina and be proud of it. Careful touch ups to prevent rust will add to the character. They are only original once.
Tom O'Donnell
Palatine, IL
1953 Capri Sport Coupe
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

Looked like it was in Arizona

Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
Linmk56
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Linmk56 »

Looks great! The Mark III was/is a fine looking vehicle.
Howard
1956 Mark II C5691376
LC67Vert
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by LC67Vert »

Congratulations on your new Mark III. It will look nice next to your Mark II.
Jeff
1967 Lincoln Continental Convertible
Barry Wolk
TLFer for Life

Post by Barry Wolk »

papawayne wrote:I was already speculating that it was going to be yours, Barry, congratulations. Wayne
You, and a few other people!

The car will be here Monday. One stop at Ford first, and then here. The driver was gushing that the underside is as clean as the topside.

Sandy sent a ton of paperwork, more provenance then I've ever seen on any car, and a lot of Ford press releases on the Mark III.

It's only fitting that today is the anniversary of our first date, October 17, 1969. I went to the Homecoming football game to see the stainless steel Lincoln convertible carrying the Queen. My date went, just because she actually wanted to go out with me. I had the worst date car. My father got a great deal on a 1967 Delmont 88 4-door in Canary Yellow with a White painted top with no chrome strip, just a tape line. To top it off it had a Baby-puke Green interior. I'm surprised she went out with me again.

Had I had this car.............

papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

Ahh, but how fortunate you've been! Wayne