My car has the wrong build sheet !

Details such as correct colors, plating material, inspection marks, orientation, and even the number of wipes that should occur for a vacuum-powered windshield wiper system after pushing the "wash" button.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

action
LCOC Regional Director

Re: My car has the wrong build sheet !

Post by action »

I would suggest the seat have been switched out. And you may never find out the reason why 3 different build sheets

Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
mjabbasi
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by mjabbasi »

The rear (Red) seat of my '61 T-Bird convertible had the build sheet of a '61 Lincoln sedan, Sultana White with Black Cloth/Leather! How about that? I did find the correct one for the car though under the same seat and my friends '63 sedan also had an incorrect sheet of another '63 sedan. These were always factory mix ups, not necessarily errors as long as the seat color and pattern matched the serial no of the car but finding a Lincoln build sheet inside a T-bird seat is probably the mother of all mix ups.
Moin Abbasi
1961 T-Bird Convertible (Montecarlo Red)
1962 LC Sedan (Nocturne Blue)
1963 LC Convertible (Premier Yellow)
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Indeed! But it's still understandable, being that both cars were built in the same plant with the same equipment.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

Marti report has a Q&A section on their web page, which touches upon this subject, which I was reading a week ago or so. I didn't put a link because I'm really bad at this computer stuff.
I'm not an expert, but I believe every sub assembly had a build sheet for stock control, they only built seats to fill orders. Once it left that department, the paper became un needed, a red seat is a red seat to the line worker.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
AlT63bird
Lincoln Maniac

Post by AlT63bird »

LithiumCobalt wrote:Original Ford records were destroyed in the Rotunda fire for anything earlier than either ‘66 or ‘67 for Lincolns.
The Rotunda fire was on November 9, 1962. I suspect the '61 production run and prior's gate releases were stored at the Rotunda at that time, which explains why '58-'61 T-bird and Lincoln invoices are rarely, if ever seen. Ford simply didn't keep the invoices after the requisite waiting period, so off to the dumpster they went. The story's been pretty well told how the late '55-'57 and '62-'66 T-bird gate releases/invoices were saved by Lois Eminger when they were scheduled to be disposed of (too bad the people she had go through the '62-'63 T-bird invoices in the mid-'70s decided hardtops and Landaus weren't worthy of being saved). If someone would have had the interest in doing the same thing with Lincoln gate releases back then, imagine what info could have been gleaned from them.
Alan H. Tast AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club International
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

AlT63bird wrote:
The story's been pretty well told how the late '55-'57 and '62-'66 T-bird gate releases/invoices were saved by Lois Eminger when they were scheduled to be disposed of (too bad the people she had go through the '62-'63 T-bird invoices in the mid-'70s decided hardtops and Landaus weren't worthy of being saved). If someone would have had the interest in doing the same thing with Lincoln gate releases back then, imagine what info could have been gleaned from them.
And Lois's effort ended up in Arizona.
See second to last paragraph.
https://www.martiauto.com/aboutus.cfm

BTW there was a fire. That is why pre-67 records are not available until some years back. However the fire was not the Rotunda fire.

Action
mjabbasi
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by mjabbasi »

Sad those invoices were disposed off/lost, would have loved to have gotten them for my cars.
Moin Abbasi
mjabbasi
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by mjabbasi »

Here's some interesting info I found on the T-Bird VTCI Forum regarding ROT sheets:

"In 2003 the VTCI held their International Convention in Dearborn in conjunction with Ford's 100th Anniversary at that time 6 workers from the assembly line of the day attended one of the dinners and we could ask them questions, someone asked about the extra ROT sheets and the reply was that once the car had moved on from their position they needed to throw the paper away so a lot of times the car became the garbage can".

Also in the same post someone with a '63 T-Bird hardtop found a Lincoln ROT sheet under the seat, along with 2 other T-Bird ROT's, one for his car one for another, so I guess finding a Lincoln ROT in a T-Bird or vice versa was not that uncommon.

Speaking of which, is there any way to decide the numbers on the ROT?
Moin Abbasi
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

Even with the earlier models, if you have the build sheet originals, the Benson Ford library, or Marti can probably decode them, for a fee, but the information they hold may be of little use anyway, it will mostly just reproduce what is already on the warranty plate. The ROT tells what springs and shocks etc. were used, but Lincolns in your years had few options that would show up, that you don't already know about.
'62 and '67 LCC.
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

Several manufacturers had fires or other issues in the 60s that they blame for loosing info. It's the people with the foresight to save this stuff that deserve the real thanks.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs
CaptainDave
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by CaptainDave »

Please, please, if you have build sheets that don't match your car's VIN, register their VINs at www.thelincolnregistry.com. Some owners may be looking for them and it helps to built the collective documented history of these cars. Thank you!
'66 convertible "The Blue Lagoon"
mjabbasi
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by mjabbasi »

Can one do that even if they don't own the actual car?
Moin Abbasi
CaptainDave
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by CaptainDave »

Yes, mjabbasi, you can add any legitimate VIN. There is a field in the record that asks if you are the owner of the car or someone who is contributing information. If you have a photo of the build sheet and/or car, you can (and should) add it. There's a space for comments, so you can write something like "found this build sheet under the back seat of a car with a different VIN," that sort of thing.
'66 convertible "The Blue Lagoon"
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

Dave;
I see my 67 is in your file already, probably through L.C.O.C. Country is wrong.
I tried to add my parts cars, but can't without E-Mail. Will try again when I get that working. If I add ownership dates, and other info, will that be visible to future searchers? Nice to preserve what little I do Know about it.
'62 and '67 LCC.