My car has the wrong build sheet !

Details such as correct colors, plating material, inspection marks, orientation, and even the number of wipes that should occur for a vacuum-powered windshield wiper system after pushing the "wash" button.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

George W
Lincoln Maniac

My car has the wrong build sheet !

Post by George W »

I was cleaning the interior of my newly acquired 1965 Lincoln when I came across the build sheet tucked into the springs of the back seat bottom. The build sheet is for a different car, but the trim code of 85 does match my red leather interior. Paint code is S, Dark Gray metallic. The VIN number is 5Y82N439268. Do I have the build sheet for anyone here on the Forum ?
1965 Sedan, white w/ black vinyl top and red leather. 28k miles
rick
Lincoln Maniac

Re: My car has the wrong build sheet !

Post by rick »

I wonder how that happened. There must be a story there somewhere.

Rick
1961 Lincoln sedan
2011 Lincoln Navigator
2015 Lincoln Navigator
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

No story. Someone replaced the seats from another car.
George W
Lincoln Maniac

Post by George W »

I don't think the seats were swapped after the car was built. There are no signs of that though I suppose it could be possible. It's a low mileage, original car. I bought the car from the son of the original owner who was a woman who passed away in 2005 and the car was kept in a heated garage at her summer home. I suspect that whoever installed the seat bottom at the factory simply grabbed the wrong, but matching seat bottom. Is there any other location in the car where I could find another build sheet ?
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Usually they are only below the backseat. I think it has been discussed on this form way back that mismatched buildsheets was a common occurrence during production. If you want to really have something much cooler than the build sheet, have Marti Auto Works run the build sheet info, personalized statistics and reproduce the window sticker. Gives you all kinds of information even the build sheet doesn’t have.

EDIT: I just realized you have a ‘65. SOL on Marti report, I think. Original Ford records were destroyed in the Rotunda fire for anything earlier than either ‘66 or ‘67 for Lincolns.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
George W
Lincoln Maniac

Post by George W »

I'll hold on to the build sheet as maybe that car still exists. If anyone here has a 65 with red pleated leather and has a build sheet with a VIN ending in 39597 let me know :grin:
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

The build sheet was what the line worker used to pick parts to install on the chassis.
The seats are the same, what about other parts?

The history of the vehicle ownership doesn't mean much for Dan's statement to be correct. Only that you are not the first one.
How does the other data on the build sheet compare to the warranty plate?
The DSO and scheduled build date?
How does the last 5 of the serial number compare?

>>>Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
George W
Lincoln Maniac

Post by George W »

The last 5 are 329 apart, with my car being the higher number 597 vs 268. All the documents, data plate, owners manual info and such do match on my car. I assume that the seat bottom got in the wrong car. The trim code on the "wrong" sheet is correct in that it's 85 which is correct for red leather.The body color code does not match. My car is white. Options don't match my car either. The 268 car has limited slip rear ( axle code 4 ) and mine does not.
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

Original owner and low mileage doesn't mean everything is 100% on a 55 year old car. Something could have happened to the original seat at some point that it was damaged and a used one put in. Or the factory screw up deal. I don't count on build sheets still being there or in one piece anyway.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

It is possible they got switched at the factory. It is more likely the change happened after the vehicle was built.

Any other build sheets found? Other seat parts, under carpet, behind kick panel???

>>>>Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

There are four to five build sheets on each car.

Under the hood, under or inside the front seats, back seats, possibly in the trunk under the carpet.

Original owners are mostly dead, nowadays. It's sad, but in 55 years, it's not unlikely. And their families don't care about an old car that gramps probably sold 45 years ago.
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

I have a theory that some of the backseats in these cars might have fallen victim to various incendiary devices that flew out of the driver's window and thence into the back seat. I had, for a very short time, a Chevy Cobalt that was particularly prone to this. Wayne
George W
Lincoln Maniac

Post by George W »

As time moves on and I have the car longer I very well may come across one of the other build sheets. For now this will remain a mystery. I can say though that the rear seat condition looks just the same as the front seat leather which is excellent. Considering the interior is leather there's no cracking or fading whatsoever front or rear. Ditto on the carpets, door panels, dash and the rest of the interior. They all are still evenly red with no fading and no visible wear.
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

I haven't gotten to the point of looking for build sheets in mine. But between needing carpet and headliner if there's still one there and intact i'll find it at some point.
My leather is still OK looking too. It has normal wear and crease marks from age but no major damage.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs
ravnlinc
Occasional Visitor

Post by ravnlinc »

With my work on the car, I have found 3 build sheets so far, and all of them are different. The build sheet for my warranty plate I found was under the front seat bottom. I found a different one under the back seat bottom and another one still behind the back seat back. I haven't looked under the truck carpet, headliner, and none behind front kick panels. I assume they are all from the factory not by any story but by the build dates on the sheets. It looks like the cars are not built in sequence, as there are many hundreds between each serial numbers but only 1-3 days between proposed build days. With a build rate of 30,000 cars a year means less that 100 per day. My car was the last in line on the 27th so I think they pulled "old" stock seats to build the car. I think the likelihood of getting replacement seats after the car was delivered with build sheets, with date codes only a few days apart seems too unlikely.
collection of my build sheets
collection of my build sheets
Joe
67 triple black sedan
Houston, Texas