63 dash

Details such as correct colors, plating material, inspection marks, orientation, and even the number of wipes that should occur for a vacuum-powered windshield wiper system after pushing the "wash" button.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

63 dash

Post by papawayne »

This is a mere curiosity to me but it does bug me a bit. Went out to eat last night and I'm looking at my 63 dash, and it seems for all the world that the gauges (speedo, clock, etc.) are coated with some sort of clear plastic that is wearing off in places, under which is some really nice, shiny chrome. Can anyone speak to this? I'm tempted to try to scrape it off to reveal the really shiny stuff, but if it belongs there from the factory....Wayne
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: 63 dash

Post by papawayne »

I give up, I cant post Wayne
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

This is like time 6
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

forget it, anything more than a sentence kicks me off.
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

please look at the dashes on your 63s. Wayne
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

I have already changed my password.
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

Could Ford have put some sort of protective plastic
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

over the Chrome on the gauges that never got removed from my car?
Steve K
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Steve K »

Wayne, try clearing all history and cookies on your browser and on the forum. I had your problem for awhile, That fixed it.
2018 Lincoln Continental
1964 Lincoln Continental Sedan
1948 Mercury Town Sedan,
1959 Mercury Montclair
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

Thanks for the PM, Steve...I'll try it. I'm not a very computer savvy person, and have not figured out how to post pictures. I usually get my nephew to do it. He groans when I ask, though. Wayne
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

Wayne, it was a clear coat type coating from the factory my good friend Blair Farmer told me. I just spoke to him last week about it. I bought a cluster from a ‘63 on eBay one time for my man cave and you’d be amazed how awesome it will look after you polish it. Here is the trick!

Go to Ace Hardware and get a steel wool 0000 pad. It must be the 0000. https://www.acehardware.com/departments ... ol/1361054

Then get Brasso polish. https://www.lowes.com/pd/BRASSO-8-fl-oz ... sh/3179207

I’d have to look for pics but it does wonders. It will remove that film and make it look fantastic. I’ve also used this on my wife’s vintage Schwinn bike fenders. I’m still in the process on the bike but looks so much better!

Let us know how it comes out. I’d suggest removing the gauge clusters to perform the task.

Jason
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

Thanks, Jason! I'm really glad to know that the stuff cam from the factory, and thanks so much for the removal tip! Wayne
defrang
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by defrang »

Has anyone improved the black lines on the 64-65 dash in between the chrome? Jason? I would like to refresh these areas but have not seen a solution or even thought up a good one.
Robert DeFrang
Blue Maximus
Occasional Visitor

Post by Blue Maximus »

We spray painted Blue's chrome dash with flat black then after it dried we lightly went over the high points wit with a cloth with some acetone on it. The paint came right off the chrome part and the whole thing looks new now if only the rest of the interior was so easy to refurbish. I am about to try spray dye on the carpets because they are to stained to get clean. They are brownish so if not exact match no bad.

Blue (Zack)
*****Z*A*C*K*****
Survivor Car and Survivor Owner
1964 Blue Max Lincoln
Cancer Patient in Remission Age 19
https://nationalpcf.org/
Imagine A World Where No Child Battles Cancer
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

Robert, let me ask my friend Theresa what she does. I think she normally takes the bezel home and meticulously paints it by hand. Blue (Zack) mentions a solution I've seen time and time again and seems to work great. When I had my valve covers painted for a truck I own the local painter used the same method. I've seen this used on billet grills on trucks as well. Where the inside of the grill is painted and then the outside billet "bars" are wiped clean.

You really can't see it here but this is the grill: http://www.trucktrend.com/cool-trucks/1 ... rolet-s-10

In my example, it left the inside of the grill painted black.

I have a spare '65 dash at my house I bought a long time ago from a buddy in Texas and I was bored one night and started to clean it up. I was amazed at how nice it came out spending on a few hours on it. I didn't touch up any paint on it though. Once I (hopefully) finish this Lincoln couch I started, I'd like to somehow incorporate the dash above the couch. Maybe mount a stereo in it and have it hooked up. We shall see. I need to find the pics I took of it and post them here.

Jason