Windshield authenticity

Details such as correct colors, plating material, inspection marks, orientation, and even the number of wipes that should occur for a vacuum-powered windshield wiper system after pushing the "wash" button.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

CaptainDave
Dedicated Enthusiast

Re: Windshield authenticity

Post by CaptainDave »

Here's a philosophical question. Is etching the bug into the windshield authenticity, or counterfeiting?
'66 convertible "The Blue Lagoon"
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

For personal use, it is nothing. Literally, nothing. No one can do anything. It's like painting a pepsi sign on the side of your barn or fence.

Selling it as authentic is counterfeiting. Selling the mark to make etching kits is possibly trademark infringement, if that, if the trademark is still valid.*

*Not actual legal advice.
tomo
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by tomo »

I am pretty sure that the Lincoln and Ford glass bugs are the same. Here is a link to an outfit that has them for Fords from 64/12 to 1970.

http://www.ecsautomotive.com/productdesc.php?co=f&id=1

If you decide to do this, find a piece of scrap glass to practice on. When I did my 40 Mercury glass, I found that you must have the decal tight against the glass. If it is not tight enough, the bug come out blurry. The amount of the solution that you use can also affect the final result. I did about 10 test tries before I was confident enough to do it on the more expensive new glass.

I believe that Sanders Glass does sell glass with authentic bugs on them. You would have to contact them to see if they can reproduce your windshield or side glass.

https://www.sandersreproglass.com/
Tom O'Donnell
Palatine, IL
1953 Capri Sport Coupe
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Thanks for the additional leads. I think you are right about the logos being the same. At least based on what they have on their website they look exactly the same.

I checked with Sanders. Nothing available for a '67 Lincoln.

I have an inquiry out to ECS to see if they can provide a stencil for me to use.

The new glass is so much nicer than the worn out one with the score mark that I had - it just needs this bug to really send it home.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

ECS will not sell the etching kit. They offered to have me send in my glass to have them apply the logo. So, I guess if this is really important, I can pay to have my windshield removed from my car, shipped to wherever they are, shipped back and reinstalled. Yeahhhhhh, no.
Nick
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
Steve K
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Steve K »

FWIW. Click to enlarge. What if you could get it printed on a clear transfer (decal)?
Attachments
bug.JPG
2018 Lincoln Continental
1964 Lincoln Continental Sedan
1948 Mercury Town Sedan,
1959 Mercury Montclair
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Gordy Jensen had windshields to sell that I heard he had made. Check your back issues of Continental Comments for his ad in the back if it's not in the latest one (which I just got).
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Good call on Gordy. Didn’t have the best experience talking to him before on a different topic, but worth a shot.
Nick
tomo
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by tomo »

Mike Driskell sell the bug kits for 1932 -1952 Fords. You could try to contact him to see if he knows where or how to get a glass bug for your windshield. He is a member of the Ford Barn Forum.

Here's Michaels profile page and you can PM from there, his FB handle is 35fordtn. https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/member.php?u=7302
Tom O'Donnell
Palatine, IL
1953 Capri Sport Coupe
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

By the way, Gordy’s windshields have no bug! Trademark and copyright reasons!
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Yeah, I’m going to give Driskell a try and then probably just leave it be if no results there. I think I may have inquired with him already, but doesn’t hurt to check once more. I’ve got a lot of other things on the list that are higher priority. Figured this might be an easy one to knock out along the way. Silly me - I drive a classic Lincoln.
Nick
tomo
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by tomo »

The only thing easy about driving a classic Lincoln is enjoying the drive.
Tom O'Donnell
Palatine, IL
1953 Capri Sport Coupe