1961 - 1963 Authenticity manual

Details such as correct colors, plating material, inspection marks, orientation, and even the number of wipes that should occur for a vacuum-powered windshield wiper system after pushing the "wash" button.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Doug Dickmann
Occasional Visitor

Post by Doug Dickmann »

Hello all.

Do any of the LCOC members, especially those national or region board members know when the 61-63 Authenticity manual will be available. While attending a national board of directors meeting a few years ago, I learned that the gentleman who had primary responsibility for this poject had become quite ill and had to turn the project over to others. At that time I was told by one of the "new team members" that it would be out fairly soon. That was a few years ago. I have inquired a few times since and have gotten the same answer...."available soon." Does anybody out there know any further details?

Thanks

Doug Dickmann
Hoosier Region LCOC
1962 Convertible
ryjn
Lincoln Maniac

Post by ryjn »

I'm curious as to the status of the manual too. The LCOC site has been saying "Available Soon" forever and a day it seems. Not that I'm complaining, just curious is all.

Ryan
<John T.>

Post by <John T.> »

Doug: The official answer from the LCOC board meeting is that all the inputs from the various people solicited were received by the person who is assembling the manual. The remaining task is to go through all the info, organize all the sections and type the manual. There was no timeframe given since this is an all-volunteer effort. At least the information is collected in one location.

John T.
Willard E. Anderson
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Willard E. Anderson »

Hello Doug and all,

As I understand the situation, here is what happened on the authenticity manual to which you refer.

The gent who was leading this effort and led at least one previous effort (1964-1965) on authenticity manuals, Dr. Hans P. Norberg, Editor, not only got sick, but he passed away.

Transfer of the process was difficult due to his death as well as the inability to access the information on his computer.

It meant starting over.

Hans deserves a lot of thanks for his grand effort on our behalf.

Sincerely, Willard.
Doug Dickmann
Occasional Visitor

Post by Doug Dickmann »

Hello John T, Willard, et.al.

Thanks for the update. That is was pretty much my understanding. I too applaud Dr. Norberg for all of his efforts as well as the current crew working on this project. I never meet Dr. Norberg, but during the short time I was a region director and attending national meetings I heard so many nice things about him and felt the pain and sorrow of those who did.

That said, my only concern (I won't say complaint, well I guess I just did) is that this was the situation 2 YEARS AGO. I don't want to underestimate the scope or difficulty of this project but ... I'll leave my grumbling at that.

Hoping for a quick completion,

Doug Dickmann
Hoosier Region
62 Convertible

PS. I should watch what I hope for, if the project was done today, I would have no excuse for not completing my 62 restoration.
Willard E. Anderson
Lincoln-ally Insane

Hello Doug,

Purchase a "wrong" authenticity manual, such as 1964-1965. You will still learn a lot. You might even want to trade in your car for a 64 or 65 then!

Sincerely, Willard.
<John T.>

Post by <John T.> »

Doug: The person in charge of this manual has been getting information from other members for the past 18 months. Remember that all of this work is volunteer and therefore tends to fall to the "bottom of the pile". These years are complex due to the many running changes, especially during 61, that Lincoln incorporated. Yes, I too would like to have a copy for my 62 convertible but better to wait and have the correct information. Please remember that these manuals contain 100-200 types pages of information which is invaluable for the restorer but takes many hours to type, edit and proof read. I will keep checking on the progress.

John T.
Doug Dickmann
Occasional Visitor

Post by Doug Dickmann »

Helo all,

Thanks John T. for your update. I just had to vent abit. I am sure this, as well as all other authenticity manuals, are not only huge projects, but I'll just bet the day one comes out there will 1 maybe even 2 members who will have commentary. I don't envy those who have taken on such a venture.

Willard, are you showing a preference to the 64-65 over the 61-63? [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img] Your idea about the 64-65 manual is a good one. I'll order one.

Thanks

Doug Dickmann
Hoosier Region
Willard E. Anderson
Lincoln-ally Insane

Hello Doug,

Let's see how well I can present my case!

I spent a great deal of time on the 1964-1965 Lincoln Continental Authenticity Manual, but I am not biased.

I'm not reflecting a preference for the 64-65 LC's, even though I have a '64 LC sedan and a '64 LC convertible. I have the '64 LC sedan by chance. I have the '64 LC convertible for reasons of compatibility of knowledge and parts, although, since the latter is a convertible, there's a great deal of additional knowledge/spare parts that is/are required as compared to the sedan!

[I can't remember everything about so many different cars! I have seven cars, total. (I'm not really screaming.)]

In some respects--especially the curved side windows--I prefer the '63. In some respects--especially the front disk brakes--I prefer the '65. In some respects I prefer the '66. In some respects I prefer the '67. Improved brakes are important to me, but all of them have quite good brakes.

My simple point is that the '64-'65 authenticity manual exists now. I'm sure you'll learn a lot by reading it. To be accurate in restoring your car, you will want to campare information in that book with '63 cars and others who know '63 cars. Still, there will be a lot of debate. Not everything was done according to some original plan; there were lots of zigs and zags, in my opinion, during the production of these cars.

If you had the '61-63 authenticity manual, you should be comparing and asking questions of other owners, too. You will be surprised at the apparent variations in the cars as originally produced, assuming owners have good evidence for their claims.

Did you know that the original '63 LC windshield washer bag had a black rectangular piece on its back surface? A judge told me that, and not having it right costs in scoring the car. You know--countless details!

Bye for now, :-) , Willard. [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]
bnorwood
Frequent Contributor

Post by bnorwood »

John et. al.,

I too am looking forward to the availability of the '61-'63 authenticity manual. However, I can type about 50 wpm, and am very willing to help if needed. I am an LCOC member; I have been since shortly after purchasing my '62 project. Let the responsible individuals know. Give them my name (Brad Norwood) my e-mail (bnorwood@richmond.edu), or snail mail:
8302 Shady Ridge Lane
Mechanicsville, VA 23116

I mean this truly. I am willing to help in this project.

Brad

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by <John T.>:
<STRONG>Doug: The person in charge of this manual has been getting information from other members for the past 18 months. Remember that all of this work is volunteer and therefore tends to fall to the "bottom of the pile". These years are complex due to the many running changes, especially during 61, that Lincoln incorporated. Yes, I too would like to have a copy for my 62 convertible but better to wait and have the correct information. Please remember that these manuals contain 100-200 types pages of information which is invaluable for the restorer but takes many hours to type, edit and proof read. I will keep checking on the progress.

John T.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Willard E. Anderson
Lincoln-ally Insane

Hello Brad,

Your offer is very kind and generous!

Why don't you e-mail LCOC headquarters (see Continental Comments) and let them know you would like to help.

Of course, it isn't just a matter of typing it. They would have a format to follow.

Sincerely, Willard.
c_perrone

Post by c_perrone »

Hello all,

I would also be willing to help in any way that is possible. I have a 39,000 mile original '61 sedan that has only had a new coat of paint about 20 years ago. If you need photo's or and details, feel free to let me know.

Thanks,

--Clint--
Robert Parker
Occasional Visitor

1961-1963 authenticity manual

Post by Robert Parker »

Just last week at the winter lcoc board meeting in san diago it was announced that the manual would be ready in about a month, we hope. Hope it will be ready for distribution soon after that. robert parker
mjabbasi
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by mjabbasi »

To quote Willard, the '63 cars had the washer fluid bag with a black rectangular piece at the back and you lose points if that is not there. Now what if you cannot find an original piece but the reproduction you buy and install in your car is identical to the original save for that one discrepancy, why should you lose points if something is not available in the market?

Allowances should be made for certain reproduction items that may not be 100% spot on but realistic in every other way possible. Now if the engine compartment is missing say for instance, the a/c decal (which is not available from anyone) its not your fault that the original was removed a long time ago and new ones are not available, or if they are, the lettering is slightly different than the original and you end up losing points. The judges should be aware that there are some items which are simply not available or the reproductions may differ slightly in appearance and should accept that the owner of the car did his possible best to make his car as authentic as possible.
Moin Abbasi
1961 T-Bird Convertible (Montecarlo Red)
1962 LC Sedan (Nocturne Blue)
1963 LC Convertible (Premier Yellow)
linc64
TLFer for Life

Post by linc64 »

why should you lose points if something is not available in the market?
Moin, I found two nos washer bags on E-bay in the last year!
Jim Ayres
Western Region Director
Photobucket link blocked by PB
Join the LCOC
Join the Lincoln Motorcar Foundation