Lincoln dash plaque

Details such as correct colors, plating material, inspection marks, orientation, and even the number of wipes that should occur for a vacuum-powered windshield wiper system after pushing the "wash" button.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Lincoln dash plaque

Post by Suicidekid63 »

Just wondering. My car has original owner dash plaque nameplate and I have seen them around on EBay and elsewhere, go for big money. How many years was this offered and was it a Lincoln only option, or did others offer it as well? Also, how many still exist today. Seems like a funny option, like the owner gets to make the car a trophy, with him as winner. :D If any members here have this option still intact, please post. Mine is for a Mr. Sylvain Wormser. He was a lawyer in a town about 45 miles from mine. Original dealership letter, I received with car, was for a dealership in the same town. Any thoughts or comments appreciated! :D Image
Last edited by Suicidekid63 on Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steven Wecker 1963 Lincoln Continental sedan survivor/ Ermine white w/ Pearl honey beige interior
"Moby"- The Wixom whale / aka: "Pale Rider"
ALWAYS carry a fire extinguisher!!!
toddallen
TLFer for Life

Re: Lincoln dash plaque

Post by toddallen »

My understanding is that these came with any new Lincoln the customer ordered. It was up to the owner to send it in the prepaid envelope to get engraved with the customers name. When it came back, the owner applied the self stick plaque (that is why they are never in the same place).

Usually only vain people like Attorneys put them on their car :grin:
1963 Linc Convertible
1963 Linc Vert parts car
1968 Mustang FB
2009 Cadillac CTS
ekm330
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by ekm330 »

toddallen wrote:My understanding is that these came with any new Lincoln the customer ordered. It was up to the owner to send it in the prepaid envelope to get engraved with the customers name. When it came back, the owner applied the self stick plaque (that is why they are never in the same place).
They could also get the desk paperweight (the Lincoln star atop a square of marble with an engraved name plate). I think it'd be impossible to say how many of either were actually produced.

toddallen wrote:Usually only vain people like Attorneys put them on their car :grin:
Apparently, attorneys are not the only vain folks to put them on their cars. It takes a special kind of vanity to take one apart, flip over the metal plate and have it re-engraved :wink: !
Lincoln Dash Plaque 001a.jpg
Lincoln Dash Plaque 001a.jpg (74.68 KiB) Viewed 2525 times
Linmk56
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Linmk56 »

I'm not a lawyer, but I still have the plaque for my 1978 Pucci Mark V. No longer have the car. The Designer Series Marks and the DJE and CS Marks offered the plaque through 1979. All Lincolns through the 79 model year offered door initials. I think the dash plaques were offered on Continentals through the 69 model year.
Howard
1956 Mark II C5691376
toddallen
TLFer for Life

Post by toddallen »

Nice idea. I don't have one of those plaques but if you can flip it over and have it re-engraved maybe it not too late to learn a little vanity 8)
1963 Linc Convertible
1963 Linc Vert parts car
1968 Mustang FB
2009 Cadillac CTS
Barry Norman
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Barry Norman »

We bought a '67 convertible in '68 which still had the remaining warranty on it. My dad mailed the card off for the dash plaque with my name on it. It took forever to get , so he sent Ford a letter. We soon had TWO plaques with my name on them ! Still have them and they are in use !
57 Premier conv
58 MK III conv
60 MK V conv
61 Continental conv
66 Continental conv
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Suicidekid63 »

Barry Norman wrote:We bought a '67 convertible in '68 which still had the remaining warranty on it. My dad mailed the card off for the dash plaque with my name on it. It took forever to get , so he sent Ford a letter. We soon had TWO plaques with my name on them ! Still have them and they are in use !
cool! :smt023
Steven Wecker 1963 Lincoln Continental sedan survivor/ Ermine white w/ Pearl honey beige interior
"Moby"- The Wixom whale / aka: "Pale Rider"
ALWAYS carry a fire extinguisher!!!
larrys-62-53A
Frequent Contributor

Post by larrys-62-53A »

The 62 sedan I owned in Poughkeepsie, N.Y, in the early nineties had a plaque for Dr. Colton S. Johnson who was a professor at Vassar College. I bought the car from a man who bought it from him. My current 62 which I bought in Barrie, Ontario had a plaque engraved for an Elva S. Wood. The man I bought the car from said he bought it from her estate sale near Philadelphia. The district code on the build sheet is 12 which means Philly. If you bought a 1953 Buick Skylark, your signature would be engraved in Lucite and mounted in the centre of the steering column. Have a look at it the next time you see one.
gsmith2423

Post by gsmith2423 »

I have one on my 78 Lincoln. Owned by a local Big business man here in Indiana.. cant read if from this pic, but it is Robert E. Beasley... Former owner of Beasley's Apple Orchard in Danville Indiana... Huge orchard, been in business sense late 1800s..
Glenn Smith

78 Lincoln Continental Town Coupe
65 Corvair
79 Trans Am
49 Ford
73 Ford Grand Torino
77 Olds Delta 88 (Indianapolis Pace Car edition) she is hungry... 455cid... I swear she uses gas just sitting in my "stable"!!!!
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

I've seen only three with the classic star compass--two on organ donors (I snagged both stars but lost one) and one on a Versailles at a show 3 years ago. There were other variants on those plaques for the Marks: instead of the star, those plaques had the Roman numeral of the corresponding Mark. I've seen far more of those on organ donors and running cars.

The one star that I have left is mounted on my Zippo. :D It looks so nice, more so than any other car symbol on Zippos that I've seen.
P9030001.JPG
P9030001.JPG (71.43 KiB) Viewed 2232 times
---Tony

P.S. I think there is a seller on E-Bay that sells those little stars, listing them for use as lapel pins, cuff links, and the like. They weren't that expensive, either; I have to recheck for them. Luckily I put it on watch.
Last edited by TonyC on Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Linmk56
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Linmk56 »

Here is what one of the Designers Series plaques looked like. This one is from the 78 Mark V I owned when new.
Attachments
Mark V Designer Edition Name Plate
Mark V Designer Edition Name Plate
Scan 2.jpg (27.67 KiB) Viewed 2313 times
Howard
1956 Mark II C5691376
gsmith2423

Post by gsmith2423 »

This is the one on my 78 Lincoln Town coupe... hope the pic is good enough...
Attachments
2010-07-28-14.43.34.jpg
Glenn Smith

65 Corvair
79 Trans Am
49 Ford
73 Ford Grand Torino
77 Olds Delta 88 (Indianapolis Pace Car edition) she is hungry... 455cid... I swear she uses gas just sitting in my "stable"!!!!
1964Sedan
Occasional Visitor

Post by 1964Sedan »

I have a 64 Sedan and I have the orignal Plaque and Bezel that it attaches to. SImilar to Glenn Smiths in the above post.

Question:
On many of these Bezels, there are 2 holes on the back that seem to have been machined to fit screws in them. Why is that? My understanding is that these are ment to be taped to the Dash Bezel. Is there another way to have them attached to your Bezel ? I ofen thought about using Magnets to bold it in place to cause less damage to the Bezel and Bezel Paint. Any Ideas?

-Brian
Brian A. Owens
1964 Lincoln Continental Sedan
Maroon Metallic / Royal Maroon
gsmith2423

Post by gsmith2423 »

Hay Brian,

mine does not have the two holes on the back. You might think about using somekind of "glue" or something of that sort. I am not sure to be honest....
Glenn Smith

65 Corvair
79 Trans Am
49 Ford
73 Ford Grand Torino
WilekPL

Post by WilekPL »

Hi
I have this one i my '79 Lincoln Continental Town Car.
I understand this's first owner name?
Every one can order this kind of plaque?
Attachments
DSC05170.jpg
DSC05170.jpg (137.18 KiB) Viewed 2117 times