Width of 62 whitewalls?

Details such as correct colors, plating material, inspection marks, orientation, and even the number of wipes that should occur for a vacuum-powered windshield wiper system after pushing the "wash" button.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

dfc

Width of 62 whitewalls?

Post by dfc »

We have a 1962 Lincoln. I was wondering how wide the whitewalls are supposed to be? and if they should go the whole way to the rim or not?

Thanks in advance
toddallen
TLFer for Life

Re: Width of 62 whitewalls?

Post by toddallen »

In 62 most whitewall widths were decreasing to the smaller 1" wide version, here is a picture out of the original manual:

1963 Linc Convertible
1963 Linc Vert parts car
1968 Mustang FB
2009 Cadillac CTS
dfc

Post by dfc »

Thanks, we have that picture as well, we have a couple of sales brochures but we are having trouble finding the tires. the white walls that we are finding are too wide or too narrow

does anyone know of retailer or brand that has the correct ones? we tried coker but didnt have much luck
toddallen
TLFer for Life

Post by toddallen »

Many folks have used Coker, Kuhmo, and Yokahama brands lately. Are you running 15 or 14 wheels? The 14 inch tires of today are much smaller than the original size outside diameter (29+ inches), so many folks have (including me) have converted to 15 inch wheels in order to have a better selection of tires (besides having an original look tire size that fills the wheel well and provides adequate carrying capacity).
1963 Linc Convertible
1963 Linc Vert parts car
1968 Mustang FB
2009 Cadillac CTS
dfc

Post by dfc »

We have 14 inch factory wheels and we want to keep it that way
briven95
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by briven95 »

I got the Coker 9.50-14 narrow bias ply tires for my convertible and have been really happy with them. Yes, they don't corner as well as the radials I had before, but they are the correct diameter and bring the car up to the right height. The overall driving and ride are excellent. But, like the 14" radials, they are expensive.
dfc

Post by dfc »

briven95 wrote:I got the Coker 9.50-14 narrow bias ply tires for my convertible and have been really happy with them. Yes, they don't corner as well as the radials I had before, but they are the correct diameter and bring the car up to the right height. The overall driving and ride are excellent. But, like the 14" radials, they are expensive.
Is your white wall only 1 inch wide or is it wider?

How long ago did you get the tires? I looked on Cokor's website and they dont have any thing listed:

They show 2 tires under narrow whitewall for 950 14, and they are both made by BF Goodrich.
briven95
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by briven95 »

The narrow white wall is the correct one. Coker makes the B.F. Goodrich tires, they bought the molds from them. The picture only shows the wide whitewall (2 1/2"), but the 1" is what I got. (The wide whitewall was still available as an option for 62, but I think the narrow looks better)
dfc

Post by dfc »

and with the 950 14 BF goodrich, will there be any clearance problems with the balljoint?
briven95
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by briven95 »

No, I haven't had any clearance issues. Remember, 9.50/14 is the correct size for all convertibles, and sedans with A/C. A non A/C sedan uses 9.00/14.
dfc

Post by dfc »

we have a/c,

I asked about the clearance issue because back in the 60s, if you wanted to replace your tires there was a 950 14 that rubbed on the balljoint. My friend who has this 62 had a 62 back in the 60s, and every 950 14 he had installed except for firestones had clearance issues on the balljoint.

Thank you for your help, it is much appreciated
palgeorge
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by palgeorge »

I have a 1962 LCC, with the 14" rims, the car came with 2" ww BF Goodrich bias ply Silverton's, but I wanted the narrower profile of the 1" so I ordered a new ones, they were not cheap, but the look is attractive with the square edge vs the more modern radius edge you see with radials, ( I've heard many good things about radials too, my choice was an asthetic one) they are large tires in height and really fill the wheel well up nicely.

I've read that somewhere within the 1962 model year Lincoln made an official change to the narrower 1" ww.

Attached are examples of difference.
Attachments
wheel.jpg
wheel.jpg (61.33 KiB) Viewed 1818 times
P1000520.jpg
P1000520.jpg (30.33 KiB) Viewed 1818 times
P1000524.jpg
P1000524.jpg (24.73 KiB) Viewed 1818 times
Gerald F. Chase
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Gerald F. Chase »

Frankly, I don't believe the claim that the wider whitewall was an "option" for 1962 models.

The showroom sales brochures for '62, both large & small, were absolutely consistent in having the narrower whitewall (which was continued into the '63s).

If someone can produce an authentic photograph of a new '62, taken in late '61 or in '62, with
the same wider whitewall as on the '61s, then I'll believe it. I have never seen any evidence to support some oft-repeated claim (or legend?)

Jerry
George W
Lincoln Maniac

Post by George W »

I know this is many years later than the above post but I'm in agreement with Gerald above. My family was in the service station and body shop business from the early 50s until the mid 70s. My Dad was a new Lincoln owner starting in 1960, trading for a new 64, then a 68, etc. until his death in 2001. Being a teenager at the time and working at the shop I was very into these cars as well as all the new muscle cars coming on the scene.
1962 was the year that all of Detroit seemed to go to the narrow band whitewalls that had first appeared on the 57 and 58 Eldorado Broughams and then later on the first Corvair Monzas and the Falcon Futuras. I thought at the time that these new whitewalls were so cool and modern looking and I was pleasantly surprised to see that all of the new 1962 models including the Lincolns were sporting them. The next big whitewall craze was the twin narrow stripes that appeared on the 1970 models. I don't recollect seeing any wide whites on any new 1962 Detroit model.

Just my 2 cents.
1965 Sedan, white w/ black vinyl top and red leather. 28k miles
linc64
TLFer for Life

Post by linc64 »

The narrow whitewall is correct for '62. With that being said, some dealers would install the wide whites IF the customer requested them. Obviously, not many people requested them.
Jim Ayres
Western Region Director
Photobucket link blocked by PB
Join the LCOC
Join the Lincoln Motorcar Foundation